Driver Dies After High-Speed Racing Crash @ National Trails

Ashley

NBC4i article

A driver who was involved in a high-speed racing accident at National Trail Raceway died Sunday.

Doug McRobie, 49, from Mount Eaton, Ohio, was transported to Licking Memorial Hospital after his Super Gas roadster went out of control and impacted the guardwall.

A NHRA spokesperson said McRobie was killed.

The crash happened during Sunday's Jegs NHRA Northern SPORTSnationals.

Anyone hear about this?

I was out there with my Dad, He was running super gas this past weekend and went out 1st round sunday, he said he has been around for awhile and thought he may have had a couple of kids. We just watched him run 2nd round and after the crash, my dad's buddy who just got done running 3rd round noticed there were some black marks down by the finish line where he may have locked the brakes up or something happened with the car that may have locked them up. He was in a top-less roadster and they said that the bar above his helmet was broke and that he had to be cut out of the car with the jaws of life.

I was out there with my Dad, He was running super gas this past weekend and went out 1st round sunday, he said he has been around for awhile and thought he may have had a couple of kids. We just watched him run 2nd round and after the crash, my dad's buddy who just got done running 3rd round noticed there were some black marks down by the finish line where he may have locked the brakes up or something happened with the car that may have locked them up. He was in a top-less roadster and they said that the bar above his helmet was broke and that he had to be cut out of the car with the jaws of life.

Oh wow! Thanks for posting more info.

Dunno who was told what here, but the tire marks on the track was not from his car. No flat spots on the tires either from the brakes locking up. As for the bar above his head, it was not "broke" worn down some but not broke or cracked from the crash. Car was built about 13 years ago by Pat Kronenbitter (sp) aka PK Race Cars. Who is easily one of the best chassis builders in the Midwest, as some of you know if you know anything about chassis work or drag cars in general. Family friend of ours who worked in front of my dad's shop for a few years. Car is now sitting up at Theodores (another roadster guy) and NHRA is going up to look at the car to try and determine what exactly happened. RIP to him. Left behind a wife and his 5 year old son.

Dunno who was told what here, but the tire marks on the track was not from his car. No flat spots on the tires either from the brakes locking up. As for the bar above his head, it was not "broke" worn down some but not broke or cracked from the crash. Car was built about 13 years ago by Pat Kronenbitter (sp) aka PK Race Cars. Who is easily one of the best chassis builders in the Midwest, as some of you know if you know anything about chassis work or drag cars in general. Family friend of ours who worked in front of my dad's shop for a few years. Car is now sitting up at Theodores (another roadster guy) and NHRA is going up to look at the car to try and determine what exactly happened. RIP to him. Left behind a wife and his 5 year old son.

does he have a shop off of rt37?

I ran SG/SC in the past and the index classes are notorious for finish line brake stomps. Not saying that is what happened here. Of all the crashes I have seen in those 2 classes, they have all been by the finish line.

Brake stops? or throttle stops?

Last time I was at ntr I ran 14's and it was scary.. couldn't imagine trapping 140+ trying to slow down there.

the car you was running 14's in was more scary then anything at that track! :rolleyes:

go to kil-kare and trap over 130 and not have a chute :o and be on drum brakes all around!(buddies old nova) we always did fine at trails, my first pass at KILL-kare ended up with me in the sand in said car!

rip!!!!