I'm tired of my truck... give me input on what I should buy...

kenny

i spanked them both...

but no, my body style came out in 1996, obviously outdated. Not to mention the M3 is a 2 door sports car where mine is a 4 door grocery getter.

I haven't ever driven an A4, but I've ridden in enough to know they're nothing special.

As for the turbo on the M3... I'll pass. 6765 on a LC2 will cover that...

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I love my Audi...If I were considering a B5 S4 vs. an E36 M3 I'd pick the M3 every time.

About 5 years ago my best friend had a '99 M3 that was totally stock..his girlfriend had a totally stock '01 S4. I extensively drove both cars and I'd choose the M3 over the S4 all day long. Not taking anything away from the Audi, stock for stock performance of the two is basically the same but with software and exhaust the S4 will make the M3 look positively slow. However at this age the possibility of maintenance nightmares are much higher with the Audi than the M3 despite the M3 being older. That and everything else about the M3 just spoke to me on another level.

If you are looking for something along those lines you owe it to yourself to find a B5 S4 to drive. They're outstanding cars in their own right, there's alot of merit in having something AWD here in Ohio to daily in the winter, etc. Everyone's opinions of the two cars may be different but I just "feel" the M3 more than I did the S4. As previously noted...if you get the M3 you NEED winter tires for it. There's no option there it's a requirement unless you want something that's useless on bad winter days.

B6 S4's are reasonable money too and are less prone to issues than the B5 cars. They're a little more money than an E36 M3 but less than an E46 M3.

Andy

i spanked them both...

but no, my body style came out in 1996, obviously outdated. Not to mention the M3 is a 2 door sports car where mine is a 4 door grocery getter.

:lol:

You're saying you manhandled a stock e39 M5 in your stock s4? I would call you a liar to your face. The M5 would embarrass you in every way.

-Marc

As much as I love my Audi...If I were considering a B5 S4 vs. an E36 M3 I'd pick the M3 every time.

About 5 years ago my best friend had a '99 M3 that was totally stock..his girlfriend had a totally stock '01 S4. I extensively drove both cars and I'd choose the M3 over the S4 all day long. Not taking anything away from the Audi, stock for stock performance of the two is basically the same but with software and exhaust the S4 will make the M3 look positively slow. However at this age the possibility of maintenance nightmares are much higher with the Audi than the M3 despite the M3 being older. That and everything else about the M3 just spoke to me on another level.

If you are looking for something along those lines you owe it to yourself to find a B5 S4 to drive. They're outstanding cars in their own right, there's alot of merit in having something AWD here in Ohio to daily in the winter, etc. Everyone's opinions of the two cars may be different but I just "feel" the M3 more than I did the S4. As previously noted...if you get the M3 you NEED winter tires for it. There's no option there it's a requirement unless you want something that's useless on bad winter days.

B6 S4's are reasonable money too and are less prone to issues than the B5 cars. They're a little more money than an E36 M3 but less than an E46 M3.

Andy

Nobody will ever deny the fact that you can "feel" more with the M3. Anytime you start sending power over the front wheels it is going to corrupt the feedback.

I'm a fan of all things german. If I lived in SoCal I'd probably have an E55 AMG sitting along side the S8. M3's are amazing cars that are pretty darn reliable given they (like any S*) was likely beaten on most of their lives.

Like andy said, you can't lose in either car.

You're saying you manhandled a stock e39 M5 in your stock s4? I would call you a liar to your face. The M5 would embarrass you in every way.

-Marc

Thats what im saying...except my ecu was flashed, but other than that i was bone stock.

Feel free to ask the then owner of the car

-Marc

I'm pretty sure he's got big(er) turbo's, upgraded intercoolers, software and exhaust, I've riden in a few cars similarly equipped and they fly.

**edit** apparently I'm an idiot. Flashed S4's are still pretty quick. Gotta think the E39 had legs on the top end on him though.

I'm pretty sure he's got big(er) turbo's, upgraded intercoolers, software and exhaust, I've riden in a few cars similarly equipped and they fly.

**edit** apparently I'm an idiot. Flashed S4's are still pretty quick. Gotta think the E39 had legs on the top end on him though.

Anything can happen on the street! :bangbang:

Thats what im saying...except my ecu was flashed, but other than that i was bone stock.

Feel free to ask the then owner of the car

I dont buy it.

I schooled a flashed 200X s4 on the freeway in my non M5 e39 from a roll.

From a dig it may be a different story but judging from my personal experience I dont think an M5 would have any trouble with a flashed s4.

-Marc

I dont buy it.

I schooled a flashed 200X s4 on the freeway in my non M5 e39 from a roll.

From a dig it may be a different story but judging from my personal experience I dont think an M5 would have any trouble with a flashed s4.

-Marc

Now that I find hard to believe. Must have either been:

1) Not an s4

2) Tiptronic

3) Busted

4) All or any combination of the above

Details?

LS1 ftl though.

33k miles

Just has some wheels and a set of long tubes and catless mids.

Babied everyday like a grandma would drive it.

LS1 ftw, when I bough it the LS2 car was 5k more, I lold and said no way.

Dont think I would officially list it for sale but if someone wanted it Ide sell it and buy the vette I want :D PM if you want pricing

Now that I find hard to believe. Must have either been:

1) Not an s4

2) Tiptronic

3) Busted

4) All or any combination of the above

Nope, def an S4, def manual, not broken.

My car made 275rwhp/310rwt...bone stock.

-Marc