What does it take to go 180mph

thorne

While HP is crucial...frontal area, drag, etc will all become very important at those speeds.

My 996 only makes 295hp and is rated to go 174mph which is pretty effective use of what little power it's got. I've never had the thing over about 150 though.

The M3 makes nearly 40hp more than the 996 does but isn't nearly as efficent aero wise...esp when you consider frontal area. I tested the 155mph fuel cut when it had the stock software and it reached it pretty easily...and while it's got more pull from 100-140 than the 996 does I have a feeling the M3's frontal area would keep it from having a higher top speed. Probably in the 170 range. That said I could totally see a C5 which has approx. the same power as the M3 being able to pull 180 or damn near close to it thanks to to the combination of good power and low frontal area / drag.

Andy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is exactly what i thought. I had some guy at work getting cocky with me over this one. He was telling me that all the german cars over there everyone does 300kmh which is 180. I told him that was not he case and that most cars had a 155 limiter on them he got cocky again . I went and found examples of cars like the m5 having a 155 limiter and that the germans have a gentelemens agreement to have a 155 limiter.

he was talking about all german cars. i told him there are very few cars that can do 180 from the factory. He went into a spew how german cars were diffrent. Sometimes people piss me the fuck off. Don;t argue with me when you drive a fucking focus just because you've been to germany.

/rant

Thanks guys thats what I thought. I new my WRX could not hit 180 because of gearing and yet I don't think it could even with its power.

Well 180 is fast to some people. We cant all be big, tuff, manly, red-meat eating, guys like you. The fastest I've ever gone thus far is 150, and that was fucking fast for me. Then again that was on the street, Im sure its a bit different at a track, without traffic.

If I did have a vagina, would you lick it?

:nono:

You should just stop posting. Seriously.

Speedo indicated 199. That's the highest it'll go. Had it there a few times.

this is exactly what i thought. I had some guy at work getting cocky with me over this one. He was telling me that all the german cars over there everyone does 300kmh which is 180. I told him that was not he case and that most cars had a 155 limiter on them he got cocky again . I went and found examples of cars like the m5 having a 155 limiter and that the germans have a gentelemens agreement to have a 155 limiter.

he was talking about all german cars. i told him there are very few cars that can do 180 from the factory. He went into a spew how german cars were diffrent. Sometimes people piss me the fuck off. Don;t argue with me when you drive a fucking focus just because you've been to germany.

/rant

Thanks guys thats what I thought. I new my WRX could not hit 180 because of gearing and yet I don't think it could even with its power.

Just kick him in the nuts for being retarded. You proved your point and he doesn't want to admit it, you win, end of story. :)

my R1 said 888 when i turned the key on so does that mean thats the highest it will go?

No, probably not. But good question. I'm going to guess the speedo still stops at something like 199, 220, etc. Where's Rigsby? He'll have the answer for this one.

:nono:

You should just stop posting. Seriously.

Speedo indicated 199. That's the highest it'll go. Had it there a few times.

Indicated on a bike doesn't really mean shit though. Stock speedos are off anywhere from 10-15%, maybe higher.

Indicated on a bike doesn't really mean shit though. Stock speedos are off anywhere from 10-15%, maybe higher.

When its 199 it doesnt mean shit. I beg to differ. Ive done 190 indicated on 270 and it was pretty fast. Yes, its not 100% accurate, but at that speed its still fucking fast.

I was refering to the speedometer doesn't read any higher than 199. I just sits there flashing 199 at me, but the bike is still accelerating.

When its 199 it doesnt mean shit. I beg to differ. Ive done 190 indicated on 270 and it was pretty fast. Yes, its not 100% accurate, but at that speed its still fucking fast.

An indicated 190 with 15% error is ~161, 161 isn't shit compared to 190.

My bike is gear limited to 160 on the limiter, I've had it there a few times. Yes, it's fast, but it isn't 190.

I was refering to the speedometer doesn't read any higher than 199. I just sits there flashing 199 at me, but the bike is still accelerating.

I know, my Regal does the same thing (except mine is maxxed @ 85 :lol: ).

Although this story doesnt involve me directly, one time a friend of mine went to tennessee and borrowed my GPS which automatically stores the top speed, which I think was set at like 120ish or so. Well he went on a ride with his cousin in his modified c5 zo6 and set the thing at 198 on some fucking backroad!. I was pissed because I will NEVER be able to fuckin beat it and now its saved in there FOREVER!