Bob's Official Cigar Thread

Diamonds

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go to the tinderbox or whatever local shop you can find and buy a CAO gold, it should be a good benchmark...

if you want to go all out try an ashton or a Punch reserva real (pronounced "ray-al")

do they just come single? or how do I buy them? I never done this before!?

Buy singles or small samplers until you find ones you love. go to the tinderbox in easton... i reccomend that place. or any other place near marysville.

if i could reccomend 3 decent ones that are rgeat buy not expensive.....

Also note, these are diverse. so you can find your "style" of cigar.

Get one of the following. (im keeping it in-brand so he can compare better)

CAO gold

CAO gold Maduro

CAO cameroon

They should all be different, try them all on separate days and let us know which ones you like?

Also, Hoy De Monterry Excalibur is excellent!!

Buy singles or small samplers until you find ones you love. go to the tinderbox in easton... i reccomend that place. or any other place near marysville.

if i could reccomend 3 decent ones that are rgeat buy not expensive.....

Also note, these are diverse. so you can find your "style" of cigar.

Get one of the following. (im keeping it in-brand so he can compare better)

CAO gold

CAO gold Maduro

CAO cameroon

They should all be different, try them all on separate days and let us know which ones you like?

Also, Hoy De Monterry Excalibur is excellent!!

I love the smell of cigars , I can remember living in japan watching my uncles drink chiva's or jack whiskey smoking imported cigars . Im going to get me some and try see what ive been missing.

Padron Anniversario > *

those are by far my favorites. i've got quite a few of those and some Opus's in a friend's humidor, he's been babysitting them since 2000. it's hard enough finding reasons to smoke $20-30 cigars, let alone ones that have been maturing for 8 years.

What local shops do prefer to buy from?

I have shopped at smoke signal (polaris), Tinderbox (easton), The humidor (cleveland Ave), and Uptown Cigar Company (Westerville). Smoke signals selection was limited and they were out of some very popular cigars i wanted. Uptown cigar and tinderbox had the best service and a good selection. My only problem with tinderbox was the guy that was helping me didn't seem very knowledgable on what he was trying to sell me. Any other good shops around the area?

What local shops do prefer to buy from?

I have shopped at smoke signal (polaris), Tinderbox (easton), The humidor (cleveland Ave), and Uptown Cigar Company (Westerville). Smoke signals selection was limited and they were out of some very popular cigars i wanted. Uptown cigar and tinderbox had the best service and a good selection. My only problem with tinderbox was the guy that was helping me didn't seem very knowledgable on what he was trying to sell me. Any other good shops around the area?

Largest Shop in Cbus is "House of cigar" right up by the budweiser plant. It's quite possibly my fave.

Heres the list of places that i will shop.

1. tinderbox (easton)- good selection, fun crowd

2. Sticks and stogies (dublin) - decent selection, nice lounge

3. Burning Leaf (south high st.) - Awesome staff, decent selection, small, virtually no lounge

4. Smokers Haven (north high) - my 2nd fave, good selection, great lounge

I smoked a cigar on my 18th and never smoked one again. I felt like I was missing something about how it was about the taste; is there any other reason to smoke a cigar besides taste? Does it give you a buzz or something?

Cuban cigars give you a buzz for sure. I remember my Arbua trip like it was yesterday... Fat cuban in my right hand and Johnny Walker Black Label on the rocks in my left while grilling up a large steak imported from Venezuela.

Good times.

All right guys, i got an interesting PM this morning and wanted to address it publicly so that others could maybe prosper from it!

Hi Bob, I had sent you a PM a few weeks back about some cigars you had listed in a general items thread. I am just recently getting into cigars, and wondered if you had any recommendations or favorites. I would like to broaden my range of cigars smoked, and figure this might not be a bad way. Let me know when you get a moment. I appreciate your time.

Andrew

I'm sorry andrew,

I dont know why i ignored your pm, i usually reply to all of them.

As far as cigars go....

Here's what i reccomend doing.

If you are looking to get into cigar smoking you need to buy as many different cigars as possible. Buy cigars of all makes and wrappers, shapes and girths... to find out what you "like".

Depending on how much you want to spend to get started... you have a few options, i reccomend buying a sampler... Also, i REALLY reccomend buying a sampler that includes a humidor.

Check these out, they have prices for all ranges of budget.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=SP-CA06

20.00 shipped - has a humidor and 8 stogie, good stogies, quality stogie!

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=SP-CIEG13&cat=6&page=2

85.00 shipped - has a humidor and 20 cigars, good cigars, high rated cigars

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=SP-BC08&cat=6

100.00 - 25 cigars, good humidor, etc, good cigars, etc

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=itemDetails&ItemCode=GUREXT

100.00 - this deal is the best, it comes with a really nice humidor, 25 Boutique cigars (high high end) and a nice torch lighter

Check those out, there something for anyones budget.

Now, if i had to reccomend cigars right off the rip... it depends on your budget. There are 3 types of cigars (in my opinion).

1. budget

2. Premium

3. Boutique

and here are soem examples

1. Budget - Oliva (low end olivas, they do range) Thompson brand, really, anyhting that costs under 3 bucks a stick.

2. Premium - Oliva V's, O's, etc... Romeo Y Julieta, TTT Trinidad, CAO, 601, Fonseca, H. Uppmann, Hoyo De Monterrey, Gloria Cubana, MAria Mancini

3. Boutique - Ashton, Gurkha, Opus X, Camacho

Anyhow, my best advice is to buy one of those sampler. If you cant wait, my next best advice is to go to a cigar shop and explain that you are new to it and that you want to try something in a maduro, corojo, and natural EMS wrappers. You must smoke alot of cigars to decide what you "DO and DONT like"

As far as my colelction goes, i could hand out some free shitty cigars, but whats the point... i keep all the good ones for myself!

I tried a Oliva G or O, I'll have to check and see which it was. It was not a bad smoke, but for the price of it, I liked the Romeo y Julieta better. I also have a CAO gold to compair to the two also after I smoke it on sat. My boss told me to try an AVO, he said it was one of the better cigars he has smoke. Any input on those?

Bob since you are selling your humidor which one are you replacing it with?

I went to smoke signals on thursday and bought a few cigars because i havent in a while. I ended up with my standard Acid cold infusion tea and decided to try a couple that i havent had before. First was an Aurturo Fuente corona maduro. At first it tasted generic and bland but about half way through started having a flavor that reminded me of coffee and old dry pipe tobacco. I wont get one again. Then I had a LaFlor Dominicana grand maduro #5. I liked this one, it had a sweet yet bitter taste to it. In my opinion it had the same consistency and feel of an Onyx cigar. plenty of smoke and burned evenly throughout. It got hot a little too fast for my taste but ill buy one again.