Street racing today vs 15 years ago.

nurkvinny

There have been a handful of accidents and busts with the actual fast cars. 98% of the bad name associated with street racing around here, are those "busted ass econo boxes". They make poor decisions and combined with a lack of driving skill, they are a big reason street racers have a bad name. How many accidents and or deaths have occured out west because of a dig race? Not one that i've ever heard.....

Well the wreck that occured last night involved a mustang and t-bird. The last big street racing bust was some camaros, mustangs, vettes, and things of that sort. There was the cobra guy not too long ago that killed his baby when he crashed during a race. I cant think of any recent issues that involved econo box, ricer cars. Im not trying to make like a big argument out of this, Im simply stating an observation. The guys out west that you are talking about seem to have their shit together. Too bad everyone else cant do the same.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the wreck that occured last night involved a mustang and t-bird. The last big street racing bust was some camaros, mustangs, vettes, and things of that sort. There was the cobra guy not too long ago that killed his baby when he crashed during a race. I cant think of any recent issues that involved econo box, ricer cars. Im not trying to make like a big argument out of this, Im simply stating an observation.

Considering more recent news I guess you have a point.

The guys out west that you are talking about seem to have their shit together. Too bad everyone else cant do the same.

Its the old school ways of the street. :cool:

Well the wreck that occured last night involved a mustang and t-bird. The last big street racing bust was some camaros, mustangs, vettes, and things of that sort. There was the cobra guy not too long ago that killed his baby when he crashed during a race. I cant think of any recent issues that involved econo box, ricer cars. Im not trying to make like a big argument out of this, Im simply stating an observation. The guys out west that you are talking about seem to have their shit together. Too bad everyone else cant do the same.
most of the econo boxes couldnt break the speed limit if it was going down hill

I say make the cars for these kids (doesn't matter what it is) speed limited. AND make it so you cannot go 100% throttle. Limit the ECU/PCM on the car to ONLY allow like 60% throttle. :).

I 100% agree with this in a sense of anyone (government) trying to limit speeds or "street racing". Now I by no means want anything like this to happen... But I don't understand why it hasn't.

- "street legal" cars and motorcycles should be limited to no more than 80-85mph. There is NO reason to go any faster or be able to go faster than that. (Most bikes and many cars can go 150+ from the factory)

- There should be a huge punishment, something like driving without insurance, if cought with this limiter disabled.

Just an idea, but how can anyone expect someone who buys a 130hp motorcycle or 500hp car to go no more than 65mph all the time?

This idea goes beyond the op topic, but can you imagine the amount of less stupid kids smashing BMW's or buying a new 600 just to go hit a tree their first time out. Then you can even get into a decrease in high speed chases due to the limitations of everday cars.

I 100% agree with this in a sense of anyone (government) trying to limit speeds or "street racing". Now I by no means want anything like this to happen... But I don't understand why it hasn't.

- "street legal" cars and motorcycles should be limited to no more than 80-85mph. There is NO reason to go any faster or be able to go faster than that. (Most bikes and many cars can go 150+ from the factory)

- There should be a huge punishment, something like driving without insurance, if cought with this limiter disabled.

Just an idea, but how can anyone expect someone who buys a 130hp motorcycle or 500hp car to go no more than 65mph all the time?

This idea goes beyond the op topic, but can you imagine the amount of less stupid kids smashing BMW's or buying a new 600 just to go hit a tree their first time out. Then you can even get into a decrease in high speed chases due to the limitations of everday cars.

Then why did you buy a Grand Prix GTP with the intent to do intake/header/exhaust? Hahahahaha got him, I'm an :asshole:

That's the most commie shit I've read in a long time.

:jerkit: In that case, we can just snip all the guys in the US, that way they can't reproduce and create new problems.

Street racing 15 years ago was just as stupid as it was now, only the races then took longer to finish. Back then, a (completely stock) 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 was just about the fastest thing you'd come across, minus the really rich guy who would show up in his C4 Corvette and wax everybody. A 1990 Iroc Z was to be feared by all, and I was smoking a ton of people in my ultra-sweet 1991 GSX Eclipse. Nothing much has changed except (1) the horsepower involved and (2) the sheer number of people participating in the lunacy.

IMO, street racing will always be stupid and a little senseless. So is drinking heavily, but that won't keep me from doing either from time to time, I'd imagine. I firmly believe, however, that the "danger factor" has went up significantly in the past 15 years due to increase in HP seen in the cars racing on the street. Fuck, just five years ago, 500rwhp would own just about 90% of things on the street; now, 500rwhp will get you ninth place at a small dyno day meet.

Street racing 15 years ago was just as stupid as it was now, only the races then took longer to finish. Back then, a (completely stock) 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 was just about the fastest thing you'd come across, minus the really rich guy who would show up in his C4 Corvette and wax everybody. A 1990 Iroc Z was to be feared by all, and I was smoking a ton of people in my ultra-sweet 1991 GSX Eclipse. Nothing much has changed except (1) the horsepower involved and (2) the sheer number of people participating in the lunacy.

IMO, street racing will always be stupid and a little senseless. So is drinking heavily, but that won't keep me from doing either from time to time, I'd imagine. I firmly believe, however, that the "danger factor" has went up significantly in the past 15 years due to increase in HP seen in the cars racing on the street. Fuck, just five years ago, 500rwhp would own just about 90% of things on the street; now, 500rwhp will get you ninth place at a small dyno day meet.

I think this is a very good sparks notes assesment of the situation.

this could have been a good thread, but some people talking about vtak and vpecs messed it up. i think that street racing is a maturity thing. ive went from street racing every weekend to only wanting to play around with a few friends and heading to the track most of the time. i think it takes more talent to deal with track conditions and actual preperation, then to leave in your power band of 2nd gear and walk away from someone. its all in how you veiw it though.

I'm not 15 year old skewl but I was around when Ant drove a LT1 based car. When 13 sec cars where rockets. Now it's 11's or go home .

I think the bigger horse power is somewhat to blame. I think another thing is the internet in a sense. Everyone wants to post shit on youtube or streetfire to brag.

In my day we would find a location out of the way on a industrial street and race for 2-3 hours without a issue. Now it's not like that no way in hell I would go out to a spot just because of how its become.

NOW I won't lie If I run into someone while I'm already going somewhere I might play around a little but I won't go into 5th gear. Kinda my rule. That limits me to 110ish mph.