Street racing today vs 15 years ago.

nurkvinny

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is she fun? do you like her? that's all that really matters. mines not fast like many here, but I'm okay with that. life is about compromises. I just like having a fairly quick little handling machine that has a great fun factor and allowed me to get pretty much what I wanted for a price that I more than loved.

How, I have never told anybody on here anything like that. I unlike most people know what I have and what it is and isnt capable of. I never claim it to be more than it is.

is she fun? do you like her? that's all that really matters. mines not fast like many here, but I'm okay with that. life is about compromises. I just like having a fairly quick little handling machine that has a great fun factor and allowed me to get pretty much what I wanted for a price that I more than loved.

Thats exactly how I feel about it. But, I dont like when people say that I act or say things that I really dont. It just shows how wise they really are I guess.

In your sig it says BFG drag radials most people dont put those on cars they think are slow.......

I was trying to cut down my 60ft. Just cuz Its not fast doesnt mean that I cant try to make improvements to it for at the track. Its just fun.

*Plus I got them cheap.

Apparently you guys are only into cars to make your ego's bigger or something. Im into it because its fun and I enjoy it. And Im happy with the fact that with minor bolt ons and a small amount of money I have made a clean kinda quick DD that I can have fun with. Plus I have taken 6 tenths off the stock 1/4 mile time. So you can all suck my ass! :D

Look I am not trying to be rude or mean.. .Im glad you like your car...but you act like it is a race car...saying your doing 130mph in it and shit like that but then you say that its just some slow blah blah blah... who cares, no one cares that you did 130 in your car...

I agree everyone would love to have no-time events it would be alot of fun run and not have evryone kno your time! Maybe someone should get ahold of someone at trails and shoot the idea to them!

I talked to pj at pacemakers he said that if we could get people to come to a no time event his dad wouldn't mind having one.

It seems the past 2 years have given us a high number of accidents and deaths from street racing and people simply going fast. It got me thinking about the "scene" when I got into it, around 1993. There are a few possible answers as to why there seems to be more deaths now vs then, but I believe the main difference lies in the sheer increase in horsepower available to younger drivers now.

When I was 16, I bought a 350 TPI GTA, and did the usual things... exhaust, intake mods, air pump delete, no-cat, some free mods, blah, blah, blah. I thought it was God's plenty fast for a newish driver. Now there are V6's out there that run quicker and faster times than that car did. And the V8 options now start out 100+hp over what was available for me, and I see kid after kid driving them.

I don't know what the solution is... slower cars until you're older? more driver Ed?, more something. I took driving fast as a kind of right of passage, and accepted the fact I may wrap myself around a telephone pole. Now that I am older, I see how ignorant I was.

I think it's a combination of the newer faster cars(cheap fast ones too), the modifications that can add tons of power easily, the sheer popularity due to the movies, and even after all these years still nowhere near enough driver training.

Don't forget that in 1993 when you got into it the internet was still somewhat in it's infancy and with every idiot and their brother on youtube and whatnot that has helped glamorize the stuff and the media outlet it has become as well that exposes everyone to the horrors of when things go wrong.

I kinda cured myself of it by taking up autocross and now road course stuff but I still enjoy a spirited drive like most anyone else, but I have been tempted plenty of times to go out on the street because it is a rush.

The cars are not the problem. The problem are the people behind the wheel. Street racing was not a problem "back in the day" because there were less people on the roads and less developed areas.

My dad talks about when it was no big deal to see the old muscle cars going at it but they were about the only people on these country roads.

I really don't get street racing I guess not my thing. To me it is better to put somebody's bitch ass on the trailer at the track than risk it on the street.

If people start to show some common sense the negative attention to gearheads and this site will go away.

Just my view.

now back to flaming wonderboy...