Street racing today vs 15 years ago.

nurkvinny

It seems the past 2 years have given us a high number of accidents and deaths from street racing and people simply going fast. It got me thinking about the "scene" when I got into it, around 1993. There are a few possible answers as to why there seems to be more deaths now vs then, but I believe the main difference lies in the sheer increase in horsepower available to younger drivers now.

When I was 16, I bought a 350 TPI GTA, and did the usual things... exhaust, intake mods, air pump delete, no-cat, some free mods, blah, blah, blah. I thought it was God's plenty fast for a newish driver. Now there are V6's out there that run quicker and faster times than that car did. And the V8 options now start out 100+hp over what was available for me, and I see kid after kid driving them.

I don't know what the solution is... slower cars until you're older? more driver Ed?, more something. I took driving fast as a kind of right of passage, and accepted the fact I may wrap myself around a telephone pole. Now that I am older, I see how ignorant I was.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tbutera2112
i know it may sound dumb, but i blame a decent amount of it on movies such as the fast and the furious...i got my need for speed from my dad though, as a kid we always worked on his camaro and he would take me out for joyrides around the neighborhood in it...never did anything too stupid with me in the car, and sometimes did stoplight races, but never to high speeds etc

Totally depends on your definition of street racing.

To me, street racing is late night at a secluded industrial parkway with no traffic on a three lane wide road. To others, street racing is going from a 40 hit on the freeway over and over...

Most of the deaths you see in the paper are idiots in Civics weaving in and out of traffic like jackasses and eventually hitting someone. I don't think anything has changed with true street racing (as what I define it as) over the years.

I can't speak for others but I had an 11 second car at 18 and never had any problems. I've never been in a single accident in my life aside from jumping off the R6... age doesn't effect responsibility IMO. There are 18 year old kids that are more mature and make smarter decisions than 30 year olds.

The one thing I will say that's changed, Americans as a whole are far dumber these days and less responsible. Everyone wants to blame their faults on anyone but themselves...

There has been street racing since the invention of cars. Ask old timers, they raced up and down the roads when they were younger as well. It is just made into a bigger deal than it was many years ago. Kids nowadays are not only stupider(?) but there are more ways for them to hurt themselves.

I agree with your original post. My first cars were all slow as fuck and it made have to actually learn to drive a car properly just so I could keep up with people. lol. There was no just mash the pedal and go for me, I had to wait for like 5 minutes to get to 70 -80 and dammit once I got there I learned how to avoid things so that I could keep it there. Plus Im tired of seeing 16 year olds in brand new cars that smoke the shit out of mine.

Its not just civics weaving in and outta traffic. Look at all the deaths this year from cars. I cant think of any with civics. Im not saying its not hondas, but its roll racing in general. Roll racing is to uncontrollable. The west side guys are very organized, thats why they can still get a few races ofF everyweekend.

To me, street racing is late night at a secluded industrial parkway with no traffic on a three lane wide road. To others, street racing is going from a 40 hit on the freeway over and over...Most of the deaths you see in the paper are idiots in Civics weaving in and out of traffic like jackasses and eventually hitting someone.

true....anyone else see the story on Morse Road near 270 from last night? they are calling it street racing. one car crossed the center lane took out innocent folks going the other way. not sure if anyone died, but it was not pretty.

I think the real problem is that vtak just kicked in yo! Im mean you cant go handing the keys to a 120hp honda w/vtec to some kid and expect him to control all that power. I mean that shit is intense.

*Yes, I know my car is slow also so no flaming necessary. Plus, I have actually driven fast cars. So kiss my ass.

• Downvote 1

I think the real problem is that vtak just kicked in yo! Im mean you cant go handing the keys to a 120hp honda w/vtec to some kid and expect him to control all that power. I mean that shit is intense.

*Yes, I know my car is slow also so no flaming necessary. Plus, I have actually driven fast cars. So kiss my ass.

What compels you to post useless shit like this?

I'll admit that before I ever got my license "The Fast and the Furious" did kind of skewed my image of the whole scene, but by the time I even got my license I was over the whole neon and body kit thing. I definitely still acted like a jackass sometimes when I first started driving, but I learned my lesson long before I joined this site.

Also I think roll racing is so popular today just because of the sheer ease of availability, and lack of skill needed. You hop on a freeway, honk a few times, and take off. There's no finding that perfect deserted road, getting a flagger or waiting for a light, and it actually takes skill. I'm not saying that makes doing it ok, I'm just saying that's why I think it is so popular nowadays.

Guest Removed
I don't think it sounds dumb at all. I hate what those movies have done to this hobby.

and thats when i seen the action and racing going down hill. hell channel 10 was out watching us street race on west belt live at 11 news after the first ricer movie

I think alot of people dont respect there cars ablities and try to over drive them,And the movies didn't help everybody's a race car driver now.

I think this is an excellent way to look at the situation, it's a respect that you are not in control in every situation, that YOU put yourself into. I feel very comfortable in my car that I can handle myself and I have an understanding of the cars limits, but I'm not INVINCIBLE like a lot of people tend to think.

I can't speak for others but I had an 11 second car at 18 and never had any problems. I've never been in a single accident in my life aside from jumping off the R6... age doesn't effect responsibility IMO. There are 18 year old kids that are more mature and make smarter decisions than 30 year olds.

QUOTE]

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/121/314114824_3f416a2297.jpg

Speak it proud!.

I still think it has to do with what you consider "street racing" As I grow older and learn from the OG's racing isnt about going fast on the HWY with a bunch of people or telling someone that your gonna go dig it out and have 30 thousand people watching 5 ft from where your racing.

Ive learned from the guys hanging out that the "Hustle" is always greater than the fame.

Id rather stick with my crew and keep it low key.

Dont get me wrong its illegal plain as day but we all sit here and think were above it all. just casue we go out late at night or travel far away to think the sme thing cant happen in a city far away with the cops being extra sensitive to whats going on with people and cars..

Like kenny said I can make a decision based on what I know as much as the next older person but we all learn from our "Mc Steaks" and the more we make the more educated we are in the future resulting in less fail boating.

I'll admit that before I ever got my license "The Fast and the Furious" did kind of skewed my image of the whole scene, but by the time I even got my license I was over the whole neon and body kit thing. I definitely still acted like a jackass sometimes when I first started driving, but I learned my lesson long before I joined this site.

Also I think roll racing is so popular today just because of the sheer ease of availability, and lack of skill needed. You hop on a freeway, honk a few times, and take off. There's no finding that perfect deserted road, getting a flagger or waiting for a light, and it actually takes skill. I'm not saying that makes doing it ok, I'm just saying that's why I think it is so popular nowadays.

Apparently you have not raced a high horsepower car from a roll or know what slicks feel like on the top end....

Nothin is honk and go.

That like saying an automatic tranny Supra is just push the pedal and go from a dig. Roll racing still takes some sort of skill, Its not sanctioned like drag racing or professional ping pong but I bet if it did happen people would consider it as much professional like as ping pong in the olympics and to me ping pong in the olympics is not gangster.

Apparently you have not raced a high horsepower car from a roll or know what slicks feel like on the top end....

Nothin is honk and go.

That like saying an automatic tranny Supra is just push the pedal and go from a dig. Roll racing still takes some sort of skill, Its not sanctioned like drag racing or professional ping pong but I bet if it did happen people would consider it as much professional like as ping pong in the olympics and to me ping pong in the olympics is not gangster.

Roll racing takes about as much skill as taking a shit. Even on slicks there isn't shit to it, you might as well pull out dyno sheets and scale results.

That's why you see so many people into roll racing run HORRIBLE ETs when they actually do get to a track...

Nothin is honk and go.

You're right, I haven't lol that was not meant to offend anyone. I was more referring to the whole launching and timing the tree aspect of drag racing at a track.

Well that and everything else I said about not having to worry about finding that perfect road, with a flagger, or a light and all that. Hell Shanton do you remember the night I tried to set something up with you and a white turbo GSR? You guys couldn't find a road to save your lives, and all the followers didn't help either. That wouldn't be as much as a problem on a freeway with some blockers would it? Hence it's got ease of availability.

Roll racing takes about as much skill as taking a shit. Even on slicks there isn't shit to it, you might as well pull out dyno sheets and scale results.

That's why you see so many people into roll racing run HORRIBLE ETs when they actually do get to a track...

Roll racing is more fun though. You get to higher speeds than at a track plus you gotta get the jump on the honk. Plus, all the other kids are doing it. :p

Roll racing is more fun though. You get to higher speeds than at a track plus you gotta get the jump on the honk. Plus, all the other kids are doing it. :p

Your car can't even hit high speeds, and you shouldn't be attempting it in an econobox. Ask Coltboostin how that turns out.