Getting a title for an out of state car

DaddyBuiltRacing

Ok so I am about to trade my coupe for a GSR. The catch is the GSR is in Indiana with an Indiana title. How do I go about getting an Ohio title? I know the car will need to be inspected and that can be done at any State Patrol site an even some car dealerships can do this.

Do I get the Indiana title notarized into my name just like when buying/selling a car here in ohio, then take it to the bmv just like normal? I know some of you buy cars from other states regularly and others have boughten out of state. Just needing info on how this is done before I head east...

It's been a while for me, but yes, have the title signed and notarized just like here. Yes, it will have to be "inspected" (basically they just check that the VIN matches the title - duh!). Some dealers can do this, some of the BMV "superstores" used to be able to do it all (West Broad here in Columbus). Then take the signed and notarized tire along with the inspection sheet and transfer the title.

It's been a while for me, but yes, have the title signed and notarized just like here. Yes, it will have to be "inspected" (basically they just check that the VIN matches the title - duh!). Some dealers can do this, some of the BMV "superstores" used to be able to do it all (West Broad here in Columbus). Then take the signed and notarized tire along with the inspection sheet and transfer the title.

What he said, it is very easy. I have had it done to a car from Florida , Indiana and 2 from Texas. All they ever checked was the vin.

Actually, the guy signing off the indiana title does NOT have to get it notarized. Michigan, Indiana and most other states dont make you do that. You may need to have a notary sign your OH title, but the indiana title does not need to be notarized. Just take it to the BMV get it inspected and you're done.

Actually, the guy signing off the indiana title does NOT have to get it notarized. Michigan, Indiana and most other states dont make you do that. You may need to have a notary sign your OH title, but the indiana title does not need to be notarized. Just take it to the BMV get it inspected and you're done.

If the title is not being notarized and he is hand writing a bill of sale I would get that notarized. Just to cover yourself.

Also http://www.dmv.org/in-indiana/title-transfers.php

I just got a car from TX

Get the title, go get your 30 day tags.

Afix 30 day tags, drive vehicle to DMV (I used the one on kenny and henderson, ~$5 for vin inspection)

Take inspetion and title to title office, pax taxes and fees, get title switched.

My title from TX was not noterized, no issues with the transfer.

• 6 months later...

sorry thread from the dead but does this apply to motorcycels as well

a buddy an i am going tomorrow morning down to kentucky to pick up a bike an hes wonderin on how to get it tagged? also hes riding it back from kentucky should i just put my motorcycle plate on it so he doesnt get pulled over?

Yes, it applies to bikes.

I actually just titled a car from Kentucky today.

Signed, notarized title from KY.

Lien payoff papers if there was a lien.

BMV's do the inspections for $3.50. It is year, make, color, mileage and VIN.

Take inspection paper and KY title to title agency.

Get new title and take new title to license bureau for new tags or tag swap.

Yes, it applies to bikes.

I actually just titled a car from Kentucky today.

Signed, notarized title from KY.

Lien payoff papers if there was a lien.

BMV's do the inspections for $3.50. It is year, make, color, mileage and VIN.

Take inspection paper and KY title to title agency.

Get new title and take new title to license bureau for new tags or tag swap.

dam your on it!!! thanks

sorry thread from the dead but does this apply to motorcycels as well

a buddy an i am going tomorrow morning down to kentucky to pick up a bike an hes wonderin on how to get it tagged? also hes riding it back from kentucky should i just put my motorcycle plate on it so he doesnt get pulled over?

You dont need tags if you have notarized title or bill of sell with you. You are covered for I believe 3 days and your insurance is suppose to cover you as well even if they arent notified. I went 2 years without getting tags for my trailers. I just made up a bill of sale evertime I took them out as though I had just sold them and was dropping them off.