Cool b-day present

Alex L.

This year, turkey day fell on the same day as my birthday. I woke up this morning knowing that I'd be getting turkey, and I expected an Xbox game or two. I was sitting on the couch watching the parade when my dad brought out a bag with slippers in it, and said "Here you go".

I pulled the slippers out and laughed, because he told me that he was going to get me a pair of slippers for my birthday (inside joke). However, inside the slippers were two packs of Winchester Platinum Tip Sabot Slugs. I looked at him and said "No way!" with a smile on my face. He went in the back and came out with this:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/14biggy/Guns/Mossberg535Pump1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/14biggy/Guns/Mossberg535Pump2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/14biggy/Guns/Mossberg535Pump3.jpg

It's a Mossberg 535 12-gauge pump. I have barrels for both regular shells and slugs. I don't know that much about guns yet, but I really want to learn, so I will surely be asking you guys for help and/or advice on many occasions. I am going to take really good care of this gun, and hopefully it will last me a long time.

As far as shells go, I've got the Winchester Sabots like I said above, and I've got two 25-shell cases of Federal Ammunition Top Gun Target Load shells. I'm going shooting with a couple of my buddies tomorrow, so I will get the feel for the gun then. I couldn't put it down when I first got it, and I still can't wipe the smile off of my face. :D

Heres what you need to know:

1. Treat a gun ALWAYS as if it were loaded, even if you yourself have checked it.

2. Never point a gun at anything unless you are fully prepared to, and fully intend to to destroy it.

Im a firm believer that those two things are the staple to handeling any firearm... if you can burn those two things into your brain or your kids brain, just like, "The stove is hot, dont touch it." We'd have much fewer accidents.

Oh, and dont forget those ear plugs when heading to the range ;)

Heres what you need to know:

1. Treat a gun ALWAYS as if it were loaded, even if you yourself have checked it.

2. Never point a gun at anything unless you are fully prepared to, and fully into to destroy it.

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire

4. Be sure of your target and what's beyond it.

Im a firm believer that those four things are the staple to handeling any firearm... if you can burn those two things into your brain or your kids brain, just like, "The stove is hot, dont touch it." We'd have much fewer accidents.

Oh, and dont forget those ear plugs when heading to the range ;)

The four rules of gun safety. Know them.

You got it Mike, Firehead comes from the fact that I'm one of the most ginger human beings on the planet. :)

I've been practicing these gun rules since I got the gun this morning, and even though I'm 100% sure it's not loaded, I am still not pointing it at anything I wouldn't want to shoot.

I supposed i can agree... i assumed the #3 and #4 to be common sence to any half way intelligent human being...

You would think that'd be the case by I've personally had bird shot hit within 5 feet of me and my dad got peppered by a few pellet's from bird shot from across a field. It seems like most people go by this rule until they get out in the field and start hunting.

wait, so do you or your dad ever go hunting or he knew you just wanted a gun to hunt with?

Either way its always nice to get such a gift that you'll always have with you no matter what. And you'll always remember how you got it rather than just running out and buying a gun because its something you wanted.

my 870 is getting to the point its so old, im just ready to replace it with a new one.

hopefully you wont have any issues with the shell stop on that gun. ive shot 2 different mossy's that had the same problem.

maybe i'll bust out my 870 and we can get a group to go up to blackwing for some skeet or trap shooting.

Nice gun man. I just realized I saw you at the light from Deo Dr. and 21st street. You were in the lexus. I thought it was you but soon as I seen the ginger self.

Grats on the gun if you need some lessons shooting skeet give me a holla I just brought my 870 back from my moms house.

The outing might have to wait until I can do more than cock the gun and smile. ;)

I'm not too bad of a shot, but the 12 gauge will be a step up from the 20 gauge that I shot before.

Thanks for the compliments everyone, and thanks for the birthday wishes Miller.

Andy, what day was this?

The outing might have to wait until I can do more than cock the gun and smile. ;)

I'm not too bad of a shot, but the 12 gauge will be a step up from the 20 gauge that I shot before.

Thanks for the compliments everyone, and thanks for the birthday wishes Miller.

Andy, what day was this?

About a month or two ago. It was early I think you had either a Ctech sticker or some school thing hanging from your mirror. You were making a left at light beside Wendys on Deo heading North on 21st. I go to work that way every morning I work right up off Mt Vernon Rd.

Well everyone, I survived my first day shooting the Mossy. Shot skeet with a buddy of mine and his dad. After I warmed up, I was spot-on for most of the shots that I took, only missing a few pigeons. I got the chance to shoot double-barrel and a semi-auto 12-gauges also, and those were great fun. I think I found a new hobby. :)