children getting tubes in thier ears??

Skinner

OK so tomorrow morning the 3 Amigos are getting tubes in their ears. They have middle to moderate hearing problems and their ear drums are not moving due to the built up fluid. Now from what the doctor has told us and their teachers at Easter Seals (Speech Therapy ) that come Monday there will be a night a day difference with them.

So for those with Children on here that have ad tubes in their childrens years what were you experience with this.

Also they are have there Altoids (sp?) removed as well.

my buddy had tubes put in several times he was growing up... im sure the procedure and technology has advanced since then, but for the first day or so his ears were very snesitive, and we werent allowed in his house because the loud noise we could potentialy make as kids could damage the drums.

my buddy had tubes put in several times he was growing up... im sure the procedure and technology has advanced since then, but for the first day or so his ears were very snesitive, and we werent allowed in his house because the loud noise we could potentialy make as kids could damage the drums.

well the tubes are in the ear drums to allow the fluid behind them to drain. I'm not too worried about the soreness its going to be a given. Just wondering on how quickly they will start to improve with their speech.

My daughter had tubes put in because of the fluid, but it was causing constant ear infections. She did notice better hearing almost immediatly though. I wasn't really expecting that because we did it for the infections. She hasn't had but one ear infection since then and that was two years ago. It was a vast improvement for her.

I had tubes in my ears when I was little due to the fluid causing daily ear infections. That stopped the infections and pretty much immediately improved my hearing. I couldn't tolerate loud noises at all or windows down when riding in a car. That eventually went away.

As for their speech, I can't really answer that since it wasn't an issue for me.

Hope all goes well for your boys tomorrow!

My daughter had tubes put in because of the fluid, but it was causing constant ear infections. She did notice better hearing almost immediatly though. I wasn't really expecting that because we did it for the infections. She hasn't had but one ear infection since then and that was two years ago. It was a vast improvement for her.

Our Niece had Tubes for the EI as well. She has not had ONE since! I am not sure if her hearing improved, as she was still really small.

I can image it would help a LOT!

Just a side question.... why do ALL THREE need it? Is it something genetic, or enviromental?

KillJoy

PS - Best Wises for Tomorrow!!!

Our Niece had Tubes for the EI as well. She has not had ONE since! I am not sure if her hearing improved, as she was still really small.

I can image it would help a LOT!

Just a side question.... why do ALL THREE need it? Is it something genetic, or enviromental?

KillJoy

PS - Best Wises for Tomorrow!!!

they all have fluid built up in the ears (ear infections). They have had 4 or 5 infects since birth.

they all have fluid built up in the ears (ear infections). They have had 4 or 5 infects since birth.

Fuck that! Poor guys!!!! We have been luck, so far. She is just over 2, and only had one. We had REALLY bad acid reflux when she was an infant though. :(

Good Luck Tomorrow!!!

KillJoy

PS - Ice Cream makes healing go faster ;)

they will be 3 at the end of Feb.

My daughter didn't get them until she was 5, and I wish I'd done it sooner. Double ear infections FTL. It really wasn't a big deal for her at all, said it really didn't hurt. Did they tell you that the tubes fall out after a few years? That is why I had to deal with an infection last week, so we may have to go through it again.

Fluid in the ears is supposed to be there, but continually draining. Infections are not caused by the fluid being present, it is caused by blockage in the eustachian tube not allowing the natural drainage to occur. Saying infections are caused by the fluid is like saying car accidents are caused by skid marks.

Fluid in the ears is supposed to be there, but continually draining. Infections are not caused by the fluid being present, it is caused by blockage in the eustachian tube not allowing the natural drainage to occur. Saying infections are caused by the fluid is like saying car accidents are caused by skid marks.

OK so I worded it wrong. either way the tubes will help with the middle ear movement which hopefully will help improve their speech.

oh and thanks to adding absolutely nothing to the thread.

OK so I worded it wrong. either way the tubes will help with the middle ear movement which hopefully will help improve their speech.

oh and thanks to adding absolutely nothing to the thread.

I was not singling you out. That is a misconception that is very common.I must have hit a sore spot with you.Sorry if you took it that way.

Good luck and I wish your kids well.

well the tubes are in the ear drums to allow the fluid behind them to drain. I'm not too worried about the soreness its going to be a given. Just wondering on how quickly they will start to improve with their speech.

My friend has a son who had a computer/magnetic cochlea put in due to hearing issues.....I know, completely different situation, but.....

Take a video camera if you can....he said the reaction once he heard his voice for the first time was priceless.

Not sure if the difference will yield the same impact but it could be a moment worth capturing?

Gabrielle had them put in in June, it takes like 10 Minutes, and yes she was a much happier child and healthier too. It was a noticeable difference. She still has her adenoids though, I had mine out in 07, you have read that story I'm sure. Kids take it easier though. Tubes in ears is no sweat, Gabrielle was playing the same day in the afternoon.