Post-college?

El Karacho1647545492

I'm about to become an alumnus of BU. I'm not all that motivated to jump headlong into the "Office Space" world, so I'm hanging around the city for a while, getting a job that pays enough to take care of rent and other expenses so I can enjoy the last semester with my friends but without classes. After that I plan on looking for a job in New York City.

What'd you fools do after college or after high school if that's where you ended your schooling?

If you're not there yet, what do you plan on doing?

Inb4"Kill yourself"

I started my first company at 17 and spanded into a larger one at 22. At 25 I was a wreck trying to do it all myself and walked away. Started working for a specialty trade construction company. Worked hard and finally got the position I wanted and worked hard for for nearly 10 years, then walked away a few months later. I have serious issues. My new job sucks in the fact that there is alot to learn, and the training hasnt been what I expected. Hopefully with the addition of a new team member in January(you know who you are), things will get better.

I do sales. Office-based, but out and about meeting with companies and people. Every day is different...new sets of opportunities and challenges. I love it. Good money too.

What's your degree at BU in?

If you have a couple of bucks, try to take off some time after school and do something you've always wanted to do. I backpacked across Europe for a few weeks and had a phenominal time. I've been to Europe since then a couple of times, but that first trip was amazing and I'm glad I did it before I fell into the business life.

I'm in school for another year, at which point I'll try to find a loft somewhere near the Arena District, and most likely end up working at OSU medical center or surrounding hospitals. The traveling nurse gig has also crossed my mind as I'd like to 'see the world' before settling into my life.

Who knows...

I do sales. Office-based, but out and about meeting with companies and people. Every day is different...new sets of opportunities and challenges. I love it. Good money too.

What's your degree at BU in?

If you have a couple of bucks, try to take off some time after school and do something you've always wanted to do. I backpacked across Europe for a few weeks and had a phenominal time. I've been to Europe since then a couple of times, but that first trip was amazing and I'm glad I did it before I fell into the business life.

I'll address your paragraphs separately.

1) That sounds awesome. I did a marketing internship with BDI, the company that runs Bravo/Brio/Bon Vie a couple years ago where I did local marketing around the midwest. Every day was different on the road and I loved every moment of it. I do my best work when challenged, so being out in the field dealing with people is what I prefer.

BA in International Relations, minor concentration in History

I definitely want to do something like that. This upcoming semester is going to be about living comfortably and building up some savings, but getting out of the country by myself is something I've always wanted to do. I've been to Europe a lot so I was thinking about S America, maybe Brazil or Chile. I also want to go back to Venezuela before the U.S. declares an embargo like Cuba's.

Why NYC? Do you realize how far behind you will put yourself in terms of saving for retirement, just by living in NYC and having to pay out the ass to live? I'm just curious... :confused:

In no way do I mean this to be condescending, but how much time have you spent in nyc? Every time I go, I feel like I'm leaving too early. There is so much to do there and the city never sleeps. I totally appreciate the calm, simple style of living that encompasses a majority of the U.S. but while I'm young and my blood pressure is low enough, I want to live in the city as long as I can. Also, my girlfriend is from the Bronx so there's that.

Hmmm. I got done with College at Devry. 3 weeks later I had a job offer in La Porte,Texas as a network admin and one in Dublin, Ohio for a network engineer position. I decided to stay in Ohio because benefits were better and it would have been a hassle to move as far as Texas. One day hope to move somewhere once I get some job experience.

In no way do I mean this to be condescending, but how much time have you spent in nyc? Every time I go, I feel like I'm leaving too early. There is so much to do there and the city never sleeps. I totally appreciate the calm, simple style of living that encompasses a majority of the U.S. but while I'm young and my blood pressure is low enough, I want to live in the city as long as I can. Also, my girlfriend is from the Bronx so there's that.

No offense taken. I'm from New York, by the way. Not the city though. I've been before though. It's cool, I just wouldn't want to live there.

Personally I just couldn't fathom living there and such a huge percentage of my take home pay going for rent. Yeah, RENT. I know a guy who graduated from OSU, got married, took a job in Chicago and not even a year later, his wife got laid off and they can't afford their $1800 a month rent. That's more than my mortgage! :lol: So they are moving back here, but are still on the hook for 6 more months of rent. Ouch.

Anyway, you will make whatever decision you want, but my $0.02 is to stay away from the big cities if you want to get a leg up on everyone else. But if you go, have a good time... :)

No offense taken. I'm from New York, by the way. Not the city though. I've been before though. It's cool, I just wouldn't want to live there.

Personally I just couldn't fathom living there and such a huge percentage of my take home pay going for rent. Yeah, RENT. I know a guy who graduated from OSU, got married, took a job in Chicago and not even a year later, his wife got laid off and they can't afford their $1800 a month rent. That's more than my mortgage! :lol: So they are moving back here, but are still on the hook for 6 more months of rent. Ouch.

Anyway, you will make whatever decision you want, but my $0.02 is to stay away from the big cities if you want to get a leg up on everyone else. But if you go, have a good time... :)

Yeah, rent here in boston is about 250% more than campus living in Columbus, with a far worse standard of living. Its definitely a consideration, and I will always consider Columbus when I'm looking for jobs, and especially when I decide I want to start a family.

I hung out for the summer after college, kinda looked for jobs, but not too seriously. Landed a gig as an engineer for Loreal in NJ, moved out there for a year and came back and started working as an engineer at a birth control factory.

been here a little over two years

I had some money (relatively small amount) saved up so I didn't do shit for a few months. Moved back home with my parents... I went to school somewhere that you don't live during the summer so this was fairly normal. Enjoyed the summer with my friends. Let myself be on cloud nine for a little while. I was seriously walking on clouds for the first few weeks after I graduated. Probably more so from the feeling of being done than the accomplishment. Enjoy it for a little while.

Beer dried up my money so I went back to waiting tables at the same place I had worked before while I looked for a job in my field. Went out to CO for a week to hike with Science Abuse.

Finally found a job around September (graduated in early May).

Start looking for a job now/as soon as you get out of school if you haven't already. Depending on the field, especially with today's economic climate, finding a job can take a while. But like others said, if you can live comfortable doing whatever you are going to do, don't stress over finding a job (at first at least).

Hopefully with the addition of a new team member in January(you know who you are), things will get better.

LOL CANCELLED

Caxide, think long and hard about NYC. My sister, two stepbrothers and stepsister all moved out there years ago, so I have spent a fair amount of time there. My sister got married and they decided to GTFO and move to Miami. Their rent for a shithole one bedroom apartment in Queens was about the same as my mortgage, and their pay combined was no more than what I make on my own. They got tired of always being broke.

And the weather there sucks balls. Colder and more windy than here in the winter, and humid as fuck in the summer and NO ONE HAS FUCKING AIR CONDITIONING :mad: I thought I was going to die when I went there for my sisters wedding. And don't plan on owning a car, you won't be able to afford to park it, let alone pay insurance on it. If you can't start off there at $75k+ a year, don't bother.

As for me, didn't finish college, I hated it and couldn't deal with it, but ended up in a job better than most 23 year olds so whatever. But like Clay said, if there is anything crazy you want to do in life, and you can find a way to afford it, do it now before there are a wife and kids and steady job involved, otherwise you'll never be able to do it.

Shipped to Ft Leonard Wood the day after I graduated from HS.

No fucking around trying to party all summer (wish I would have though)

If you get bored with the job hunt or the cubicle farm, I know a recruiter.....

Doubt they'd take me. I'm not much for running considering I have completely flat feet and get disastrous shin splints. Also chronic shoulder problems from my hardcore tennis days.

I spent a weekend in Manhatten a few months ago. My wife was in NY on business, and we decided to make a weekend of it.

FUCKING EXPENSIVE. My god, to live there, you'd have to make at least 4x what you do here to have an equal standard of living. It smells, too many freaking people, and many of the things I like doing just aren't feasable (unless you live a good distance outside the city, then the commute to/from work is insane).

My wife could transfer there, but our discussions have pretty much ended in that we would go there if she got a BIG promotion over what she has now (and she has an awesome job), to the point that we couldn't pass up the $$.

There is big money to be made in NYC. There is also a good chance of going broke. No thanks.