apartment questions

Guest tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112

i got a few questions since ive never lived alone... me and my gf are looking into getting a place sometime ... reynoldsburg would be the area were lookin at because of the price range... i was wondering if anyone can let me know what i should be expecting as far as utilities and cable and all that jazz for 2 people...

also, i will likely be getting the place before im 21, but i refuse to live out on my own without having some sort of home protection... being 18 i will be allowed to own a shotgun right? i dont know much about guns or gun laws...but when im 21 im going to take some classes and get a hand gun for home protection, but until then what are my options?

also, is there anything else i should be taking into consideration while im looking?

Edited by tbutera2112

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tbutera2112
For cable and internet I pay about 85 bucks a month, includes Roadrunner, digi cable, etc.

I live in a 2 brdm 2 1/2 bath 1400 square foot townhouse and I pay about 65 bucks for gas and 75 bucks for electricity a month.

the places were looking at are about half that size... it says high speed cable is available, does that mean i would still have to pay for it or do they provide it? what about water bills? how many people live at your apt.

I'm on campus so I don't know how much this will help, but our total cable bill from Time Warner w/ internet, digital cable and DVR is just shy of 100/month. For utilities, if the landlord won't help you then just go to the complex you're looking at and ask someone who lives there. Someone should be able to give you a good idea of what you'll be paying.

When I lived on campus in a 2br flat apartment all utilities (minus water) were about 300$ a month.

Now in my house I have with shitty windows and insulation my gas bill runs around $200 a month during the winter.

it says high speed cable is available, does that mean i would still have to pay for it or do they provide it? what about water bills? how many people live at your apt.

No, you pay for it. Water is sometimes included. Depends on the place.

Guest tbutera2112
ok maybe ill start calling around to the places to check on utilities... the places were looking at arent very big, 1br 1bath about 700sq feet... there seems to be a big difference in price between trowa and pedro...do prices flex a lot by area for utilities? or were you including cable as a utility trowa?

Fuck Reynoldsburg and their damn school taxes. Save some money and stay in licking heights school district, not to mention my insurance cost went down when I moved out of Franklin county. Just a thought. There is no law to my knowlage that prevents you from owning a handgun, just purchasing one. So go buy a nice used one, and unless you have no common sense I really don't know what classes you need to take, just go to the range with someone and then help them clean it.

Guest tbutera2112
Fuck Reynoldsburg and their damn school taxes. Save some money and stay in licking heights school district, not to mention my insurance cost went down when I moved out of Franklin county. Just a thought. There is no law to my knowlage that prevents you from owning a handgun, just purchasing one. So go buy a nice used one, and unless you have no common sense I really don't know what classes you need to take, just go to the range with someone and then help them clean it.

ill look into the gun laws a little more...but i thought it was 21 to own one... even ones for sale on here the people mention that you must be 21...oh and about the classes, ide still like to take a safety class, and im making my gf do it with me when i do so she will know how to use one if shes alone also

i wouldnt mind staying in the LH district, but the only major apt places i know of around here are either real expensive like the ones by mejier or theyre welfare/gov funded like the ones right by my house

also, what about pataskala? does the southwest licking school district have a lot of taxes as well?

Utilities vary by apartment, how up to date they are and such. I have never had one with gas, but my brother lives in an older one and has higher utilities then I do. We have an electric bill that stays around $95-$100 year round, and water of about $30. Digital cable with road runner and a few premium channels is $110. That's about it plus rent, and we have roof over our head.

ill look into the gun laws a little more...but i thought it was 21 to own one... even ones for sale on here the people mention that you must be 21

i wouldnt mind staying in the LH district, but the only major apt places i know of around here are either real expensive like the ones by mejier or theyre welfare/gov funded like the ones right by my house

I live in Village Gate down here just before you get to Summit. It was a little nicer when I first moved in, but it's still a decent place as apartments go. I don't even remember what rent is, my wife pays it.:cool:

ok maybe ill start calling around to the places to check on utilities... the places were looking at arent very big, 1br 1bath about 700sq feet... there seems to be a big difference in price between trowa and pedro...do prices flex a lot by area for utilities? or were you including cable as a utility trowa?

I was including only road runner for internet, no cable tv service. It all depends on the apartment and how well it is insulated. My flat had no central A/C and it was on the top floor. Summer was hotter then hell. I could turn on a window A/C unit for cooling one room but this jacked up my electric bill an extra 150-200$ a month!

Guest tbutera2112
I live in Village Gate down here just before you get to Summit. It was a little nicer when I first moved in, but it's still a decent place as apartments go. I don't even remember what rent is, my wife pays it.:cool:

do they have 1br 1bath places there? im looking at a price range of 400-500 for rent

theres tons of places like that in reynoldsburg that dont look too bad...the one i really like is on e main near jegs and stuff

Guest tbutera2112
I was including only road runner for internet, no cable tv service. It all depends on the apartment and how well it is insulated. My flat had no central A/C and it was on the top floor. Summer was hotter then hell. I could turn on a window A/C unit for cooling one room but this jacked up my electric bill an extra 150-200$ a month!

wow...my gfs family has window ac units in their house, they run like 3 of them all summer....thats nuts

the places were looking at are about half that size... it says high speed cable is available, does that mean i would still have to pay for it or do they provide it? what about water bills? how many people live at your apt.

Most places do not include cable in the rent, there are a few that do though so you would have to pay for that one. I live alone.

do they have 1br 1bath places there? im looking at a price range of 400-500 for rent

theres tons of places like that in reynoldsburg that dont look too bad...the one i really like is on e main near jegs and stuff

Yes they do, in the back. Sorry I have no idea what they cost, but I remember moving in here because it was the best bang for the buck with garages (extra of course).

Guest tbutera2112

my car is chillin in my moms garage to save on rent lol i cant drive it anyways, and i plan to make it a track car so ill only be driving it every so often anyways, no sense to pay more to keep it at my apt.

ill go on the village gates site and look up rent

Guest tbutera2112
Let them know I refered you if it goes that far.

i will, but this is something that wont be happening for atleast a year...were just looking at options now and trying to figure out what we need to work towards

Guest tbutera2112
They are it's just the mailing address. My daughter is in LH

ok i see in the listing it says LH...i thought that was a little far down to be rey. lol...its a little more expensive than the other places, but perhaps i would make that up in taxes saved....heres the one we both like

http://www.rent.com/rentals/ohio/columbus-and-vicinity/reynoldsburg/wind-river-apartments/453833/

wow...my gfs family has window ac units in their house, they run like 3 of them all summer....thats nuts

It all depends on the window unit. This one came with the apartment and it was built into the wall not a window. It was much older and used more electricity then newer window units use.

My best advise to you is to save up a lot of money and throw it into the savings account. It is not a question of IF but of WHEN something will come up unexpected.... like the winter right after hurricane katria hit. I was in arbua for 2 weeks straight in December and I set my furnace to the lowest setting which was 55F. My gas bill for December was $400 no joke!