Question for 05-08 Audi A4 Owners

Tripleskate

Long story short, a friend of mine went to test drive a used (2006) A4 2.0T auto with ~40k miles today. I tagged along for the hell of it. Couple of things I immediately noticed, rough idle. Is this normal? I mean from idle to about 5mph this car felt rough. This is coming from a guy with a manual trans and motor mounts!

Me personally, I loved the feel, just like back in Europe! But, alas it's not for me and my friend wants more a more cushy suspension as well. So, I s'pose it's off to the land of used Bimmers/Infiniti's. :D

Other than that, awesome car. The sales fella happened to be an AutoX'er! I thought that was pretty neat. Hell, he might even be a member here!

Oh, and yes, I am prepared to get flamed for this "useless" thread. ATTN: Kenny and all other takers! :p

Was it an auto ?

If so, that is normal, it will actually vibrate the inside a bit @ idle, or feel like it at least.

The newer B8's have an electronic clutch which isolates the tranny from the engine at idle to stop this.

The engines sound unusual due to the high pressure FSI pump which is cam driven. Most people thing it sounds like a diesel but it is normal operation for the car.

My buddy has an '05 2.0T A4 with a TIP (stupid ass name for their auto) tranny and I don't remember any sort of vibrations out of the ordinary at idle.

My old TIP 1.8T car has a little of vibration while in gear at idle but it's got 170K miles on it and a worn front motor mount.

The engines sound unusual due to the high pressure FSI pump which is cam driven. Most people thing it sounds like a diesel but it is normal operation for the car.

Truth

TIP (stupid ass name for their auto) tranny and I don't remember any sort of vibrations out of the ordinary at idle.

Tiptronic isnt just another name for an automatic, its WAAAYYY cooler man, you can like shift with like not even using a clutch bro :)

My madre's 08 TT has a 2.0T and it does have "diesel" sound, but does not have the vibration at all. It does have the Sportronic (i think thats what its called) transmission though.

You are going to find stiffer suspensions in pretty much all German cars.

Tiptronic isnt just another name for an automatic, its WAAAYYY cooler man, you can like shift with like not even using a clutch bro :)

Biggest Gimiky crap ever. Hate the tip function...don't use it. The whole automatic tranny is a love / hate thing for me. I have to continue to realize that I purchased that car as a driver and a driver only. The TIP kills the driving experience for me but it's a requirement for me in a vehicle that I own as transportation and not for enjoyment.

Biggest Gimiky crap ever. Hate the tip function...don't use it. The whole automatic tranny is a love / hate thing for me. I have to continue to realize that I purchased that car as a driver and a driver only. The TIP kills the driving experience for me but it's a requirement for me in a vehicle that I own as transportation and not for enjoyment.

Dont think i've ever driven a tip. The DSG or S-Tronic I know is very nice. I dont like automatic but S-tronic I can deal with.

Never again will I make that mistake. :p

A couple years with that A6 was enough to stain me on the automatic forever. I don't mind it in a A8/S8/S6 as much as they are a large cruiser. However, in my "FUN" DD I shall try my hardest to always have a stick from now on.

the new FSI engines have a rough cold start but goes away like 30 seconds after it is started and idled. Like Cred said it sounds like a diesel at idle you will hear alot of ticking which might throw you off as vibrations.

My car has the hard start problem currently. Randy at Byers on Hamilton said there is a TSB coming out next week for the problem and should hopefully fix it. I had the battery replaced and it helped a little bit.

I also just had a auto 07 A4 as a loaner and it feels more "peppy" than my car. I wonder if it's the gearing difference between the 2?

My car has the hard start problem currently. Randy at Byers on Hamilton said there is a TSB coming out next week for the problem and should hopefully fix it. I had the battery replaced and it helped a little bit.

I also just had a auto 07 A4 as a loaner and it feels more "peppy" than my car. I wonder if it's the gearing difference between the 2?

There is a flash currently being deployed that addresses the cold start issue.

I have heard good things so far.

I have never had any cold start problem.

Did you ever get flashed / mods ?

Was it an auto ?

If so, that is normal, it will actually vibrate the inside a bit @ idle, or feel like it at least.

The newer B8's have an electronic clutch which isolates the tranny from the engine at idle to stop this.

That's really neat, probably the first logical thing I've ever heard on CR. This thread needs more benchracing. :cool:

No flashes done yet. Rusty at Byers (sorry had wrong name) said it should be released next week and he'll call us first thing. After they put in a new battery the problem is better but still occuring. It seemed to start up better when it was -20 than when it does when it's 30 though.

Otherwise, we haven't had any problems with the car. I really enjoy how it handles in the snow. I get to "speeding" sometimes because it rides so smooth on the snow/ice.

I also never realized how loaded ours was until we drove the loaner car. The loaner did have the s-line package which I wish I had though. I thought they all came with HID headlights standard.

My wife's has never had any cold start issues, even on the coldest days we have had this winter.

I wonder if it is a problem for the early 2.0T's.