Mini Cooper S

scoots

I was looking to get a daily driver to reduce the miles I'm racking up on the mustang. I am thinking a Mini Cooper S (thinking 2006 supercharged version) would be fun to drive and get great gas mileage. Maybe do some autox with it. Anyone have some first hand experience with these? Any reliability issues?

Oh, and flame away if you must.

Scott

I can't say I have ever heard of someone caring about putting miles on their mustang. Is is some sort of show car?

No, but I already got 80k on it and at the rate I'm going it will have 140k by the time I pay it off. I am not planning on selling it right now, but if I do I don't want it to be worth crap due to mileage.

We have several customers with Cooper S's and they seem to do really well on the reliability note. Super fun to drive on the street, and on track. Like I said though as long as you keep up with maintenance it will treat you well, we service 7-10 Mini's regularly and no major service has been necessary yet.

Find a low mile one, or one with service records and you will be fine. Nothing wrong with owning a mini, I don't see many women driving them....mostly guys here.

No, but I already got 80k on it and at the rate I'm going it will have 140k by the time I pay it off. I am not planning on selling it right now, but if I do I don't want it to be worth crap due to mileage.

It's a domestic, it's already worth crap. Mileage won't make a difference.

We have a couple customers with mini's but not the S. Im not sure how different the S and the standard version are but I have replaced 3 or 4 crank pulleys (we borrowed the puller for sean). Also those cars have electric power steering pumps and a fan that cools the pump. I have seen 4 or 5 cases where the fan will take a shit and cause the pump to burn up. I have replaced a couple of the electric fan assemblies behind the radiator, you have to remove the nose to do so. Once again this is on the non S version so take it for what its worth. I agree with sean they are a fun to drive.

It's an interesting thought -- buying a Mini S to save miles on the Mustang -- but these car decisions are more a matter of the heart than a matter of the intellect to most of us. I had the SL600 out today on brine-covered streets because I didn't want to get the '97 Buick sloppy. :)

Anyways, I agree with most of what the other posters have said about reliability. Two friends have the S model and both drive them hard; nothing broken yet. Huge difference in the performance between the S and the regular Cooper, but for some people the suspension on the S is a bit harsh to be a DD.

The minis have held their value quite well, so it won't be easy to pick one up cheaply. The MAG ad in the car section of today's Dispatch will give you an idea of what the dealer thinks a used Mini is worth.

My two cents' worth. Hope it helps.

Edited by Doc
edit in wrong place

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/index.php

Decent owners site on Mini's. You have to sort through all the "I love my Mini" and "The Mini is the best car ever" kind of posts, but there are more objective posts on the weak points of the car as well as what to look for in a used one.

The '05 and earlier seem to be more troublesome.

As Doc notes, they do hold their value. I've yet to see a really cheap one even on eBay.

If you have any specific questions about the Mini Cooper S, I had one for quite awhile that I used for autox and drove it daily, even in the winter.

When you buy a mini cooper your man card is revoked

You may hate me for what I ordered. :cool:

I like them I'd definitly rock them as a daily or any other kind. I dont get why they're considered a "girly" car? is it because they're small?

Neon

New Beetle

Mini

I think the reason is because its big selling point is that it's "cute."

I still remember the original Neon ad whenever I see a SRT-4:

"Hi"

I test drove a Mini S and was not impressed with it as far as power.. but it did handle like a dream, more-so a driver's car and not something to really look at.

I know the power is not awesome, but thats why I have the mustang. :) I just want something thats gets decent mpg and is fun to drive.

It's an interesting thought -- buying a Mini S to save miles on the Mustang -- but these car decisions are more a matter of the heart than a matter of the intellect to most of us. I had the SL600 out today on brine-covered streets because I didn't want to get the '97 Buick sloppy. :)

Anyways, I agree with most of what the other posters have said about reliability. Two friends have the S model and both drive them hard; nothing broken yet. Huge difference in the performance between the S and the regular Cooper, but for some people the suspension on the S is a bit harsh to be a DD.

The minis have held their value quite well, so it won't be easy to pick one up cheaply. The MAG ad in the car section of today's Dispatch will give you an idea of what the dealer thinks a used Mini is worth.

My two cents' worth. Hope it helps.

I was looking around online today and the cheapest '06 I could find with decent mileage was about $16k. They definitely not a lot of bargains out there.

I was looking around online today and the cheapest '06 I could find with decent mileage was about $16k. They definitely not a lot of bargains out there.

They hold their value extremely well and not a whole lot of people want to get rid of theirs. If you don't care about the power, then just get a standard Cooper. They are still fun and handle the same.

I test drove a Mini S and was not impressed with it as far as power.. but it did handle like a dream, more-so a driver's car and not something to really look at.

You must not be impressed by your GTI, either. It may not be a "fast" car by the standards of this forum, but you will be hard-pressed to find a fun, quick, balanced and superb-handling factory car in the same price range. I think Mini really shows BMW's quality as well.