Mini Cooper S

scoots

You must not be impressed by your GTI, either. It may not be a "fast" car by the standards of this forum, but you will be hard-pressed to find a fun, quick, balanced and superb-handling factory car in the same price range. I think Mini really shows BMW's quality as well.

Only the opposite of what you're assuming. I test drove both, and obviously my GTI was the better choice- by far IMO. I drove my buddies GTI and I fell in love with the torques the VW made in comparison to the Cooper S.

Aside from VW engineering, the GTI was a much better bargain for my needs/wants in comparison to the Cooper S. I opted for the 337 model because it came with the stronger 1.8T motor, big brakes, 6spd and full Recaro interior. The Cooper S I test drove wasn't nearly as quick as my car, but did handle on a completely different level... if comparing stock Cooper S to stock 377. However, adding coilovers and a rear swaybar to my car puts it very close to the capabilities of the Cooper S, and still at a marginal cost.

It's all up to preference is what it really boils down to.. I'm happy with my choice, and i'm not trying convince anyone either way, the Cooper is an outstanding car.. just not my cup of tea.

You must not be impressed by your GTI, either. It may not be a "fast" car by the standards of this forum, but you will be hard-pressed to find a fun, quick, balanced and superb-handling factory car in the same price range. I think Mini really shows BMW's quality as well.

They are supposed to be great cars that get high marks for handling and fun to drive.....ness.

However the interior has amazingly horrible ergonomics. It is too busy, and is not instinctual at all. Their interior is their worst aspect in my opinion, and it is supported by the press.

They are fun to drive, and decently fast, high 14s to low 15s for the S model.

You should check out the MKV GTI (2006+) also. Always is first or second in the hot hatch tests.

However as these guys have said, buying a 15k car to save depreciation on a mustang worth 15k at most..........is an interesting proposition. You will spend more than you will lose over the "life" of the mustang.

Edited by Aaron

So you're going to buy an expensive car and run it into the ground? I fail to see the logic, unless you just plain want two nice cars. If you're buying something to only save miles on the stang, get a $2,000 truck like I did.

LOSE

Yeah, I am definitely not buying one just to save miles. Fuel economy, style, performance are all considerations as well.

They are supposed to be great cars that get high marks for handling and fun to drive.....ness.

However the interior has amazingly horrible ergonomics. It is too busy, and is not instinctual at all. Their interior is their worst aspect in my opinion, and it is supported by the press.

They are fun to drive, and decently fast, high 14s to low 15s for the S model.

You should check out the MKV GTI (2006+) also. Always is first or second in the hot hatch tests.

However as these guys have said, buying a 15k car to save depreciation on a mustang worth 15k at most..........is an interesting proposition. You will spend more than you will loose over the "life" of the mustang.

I actually looked at those when I was shopping around for a couple years ago, but settled on the mustang. They are nice cars indeed.

my brother in law got rid of his Mini, Pads, rotors are pretty expensive. He had both rear calipers go bad, they are an arm and a leg to replace. Most parts for this car are way expensive for a used 14K car. He bought a 97 EX civic and you can find parts just laying along the road for those cars.....