Pipes Burst! Recommendations?

Rayman

Damn pipes burst and started leaking water out on to the street. It's a pipe in our front yard, at the end of the driveway, by the street. The water company came out and told us it was the home owner's responibility. Said we have 6 days to fix it before they cut off the water. The water is leaking before it gets to our meter, which is good. But our water pressure is way too low to do anything.

Some guy, that must have been chasing the columbus city water guy, came knocking on the door an hour after the water guy left. He gave us an estimate of $1,400!?!?

Just seeing if anyone knows a trust worthy plumber they can recommend to come out and give us more estimates. Guess I'm not getting any new toys for awhile.

Umm last I thought... the only point YOU were in charge should be from the meter into your house.

I dont own a home though, but that doesnt sound rite at all. That sounds really fishy honestly.

if the line breaks inside the property line, the home owner is responsible. not 100% sure, but 98% sure of that. It's bullshit if you ask me, but then I am no fan of our Cbus water company. I fought them tooth and nail to get a deduct meter for my outside faucets....finally won, but they were dicks about it.

if the line breaks inside the property line, the home owner is responsible. not 100% sure, but 98% sure of that. It's bullshit if you ask me, but then I am no fan of our Cbus water company. I fought them tooth and nail to get a deduct meter for my outside faucets....finally won, but they were dicks about it.

That's correct as far as I know.I have Ohio American Water Co. where I live and they absolutely SUCK for EVERYTHING.They do sell an insurance for times like that,They will add the monthly fee to your bill and IF something breaks they say they will fix it.I am about to add it because my neighborhood is now 10 years old so it's time could be getting close.Sorry to hear that though that SUCKS!

I remeber my parents having to go through that when i was a kid. Was bullshit, and my stuborn Dad dug up the yard by hand and ran a new line.

BTW water lines running up to houses have been plastic for the last 10-15 years, so idk if those are less likely to bust but I'd think they would be.

This is 100% correct.

Damn pipes burst and started leaking water out on to the street. It's a pipe in our front yard, at the end of the driveway, by the street. The water company came out and told us it was the home owner's responibility. Said we have 6 days to fix it before they cut off the water. The water is leaking before it gets to our meter, which is good. But our water pressure is way too low to do anything.

Some guy, that must have been chasing the columbus city water guy, came knocking on the door an hour after the water guy left. He gave us an estimate of $1,400!?!?

Just seeing if anyone knows a trust worthy plumber they can recommend to come out and give us more estimates. Guess I'm not getting any new toys for awhile.

I had a broken line going to my house in my front yard when we bought it a few months ago. had the water company come out and they said it was my responsibility. You are lucky though. I didn't have 6 days to get it fixed. They flat shut mine off on the spot. Mine could not have been worse than yours because I was still able to use things in the house like there was no problem. I will look to see who it was we used. I would not recommend them. They were alot cheaper than 1400, it was like 4-500 if I remember correctly. They fixed the broken pipe fine. However, they totally destroyed my yard. Instead of doing a straight line to where the pipe was broken, they drove all over my yard and the rubber tracks from whatever it was they used tore everything up. I'll find out who it was and edit this later.

I went out and inspected it today. It looks like the water company stuck a pipe in the ground and is draining the water out from underground. So now it looks even worst then what it was, water's just pumping into the street.

Had 4 different companies come out today and ranged from $1,400 - $2,300.

Good news though, looks like home owner's insurance is going to cover some of it after our $500 deductable. We're covered under some new home owner's policy which last for the first year you own the home.

Most of them said they'll have to dig from the very front of our yard all the way to the house. That's going to real nice when spring time comes around.

Call Eric aka ASS, he'll fix you're yard up for ya come spring :thumbup:

Most of them said they'll have to dig from the very front of our yard all the way to the house. That's going to real nice when spring time comes around.

Save yourself a lot of money and do it yourself. I did it last winter... was pretty easy.

If it is his water feed to the house, it will be down below freeze level. hand digging that right now would be impossible. The estimates sound about right for that job. They are goin to have to come and dig up the old line and hook a new one to the tap out by the road and then run it all the way to the house. It should only be a 1 day job. I wish I could help you out but I have my backhoe tied up all weekend and next week removing snow from the parking lots.

Abram Contractors 221-3744

Morbitzer 837-0089 (bill)

these are the two contractors my dad uses to install water and gas service both are reasonable both do excellent work. Both are lisenced bonded and insured

Abram is a good company. We excavated a bunch of their trenches on sites. Try them and a company called Freedom Utilities, ask for Mike. Don't have the number right now.

Save yourself a lot of money and do it yourself. I did it last winter... was pretty easy.

Yeah, doesn't sound too fun to try and dig in this weather. Not to mention I would have no idea where to even start on something like that. By the time I'd get done, the whole yard would be dug up and half the road would be missing.

I'll give them Abram a call and see how soon they can come out.

Guest Removed

i had to go thru this with my old gas line. gas line is easy. but the fucked up part was. the gas company broke the line. they was out in the alley with a street key, with a 10 foot pipe on it and 3 guys yanking, to get the valve to close, so they could check the lines for leaks. well they made one :rolleyes:

dig it all up, plastic sleeved it and so on.

and from my understanding, anything on your side the the shut off valve is your issue.

This shit just happened to my grandma.

Except where she lives, it happened under the STREET and she was still responsible for it. Some rule the mayor changed a few years ago stating the property owners are responsible further than their property.

5k for someone on a fixed income is pretty harsh.