The Lifting/workout thread

Alex L.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirk, were you ever able to do the "grab the post and hold yourself sideways" like Bednar did?

when i was in college, yes--but once i got above 220lbs, i couldn't. my buddy in grad school used to do it constantly when we went out drinking--that's how i know i couldn't do it after a while

I started working out with my buddy 3 months ago. Once you can stick with its very rewarding.

Im 5'8 and was 130 when i started ( lanky as hell ) now im 155 and have gained no bf. Feels good man.

Did anyone else read this? 25 pounds of muscle in 3 months, whats up steroids? There is no other way without gaining fat too.

When i was lifting 7 days a week my senior year, pushers one day pullers the next, then legs same deal pushers, pullers. Then i would rotate in the osu boys b-ball routine in only uses 10 pound dumbbells(tons of shoulder/neck/arm work makes you look bigger than you are this is for tille)

I am going to start at it again soon as work slows down.

I am 150 now and was the same in high school

When i was lifting

235 x 3 bench

Free fly 85 x 5

No squats

No shrugs

No dead lifts

All to to bad on your back, compression what?

• 2 weeks later...

damn kirk...thats a fuckload of weight

i was working out with a buddy for a bit yesterday. he asked me to spot him while he tried to max @ 365 (he's about 5'11, 170lbs)...almost got it, got about 1/2 way up but couldnt get it...i guess he took his camera with him today and got video of him getting 365lbs. holy shit.

i went in tonight, determined to see if i could push my leg press up...was stopping at 450 x 10-12 last couple weeks. guess i was too scared i may injure my back more/again. today went from 450 x10, 475 x10, 500 x10, then 515 x8.

whats funny too, is since ive been back to legpress, i havent been having issues with my sciatic nerve giving me random pain down my hip/ass/back of leg.

I am getting back into training as time permits. For those of you that are relatively new, I know strength building pretty well. I am happy to field questions and there was a thread about a year back with a pretty good (if I do say so myself) break down on basic strength training.

Previous personal records-

Bench Raw- 405

Bench Shirted- 541

Squat- 405 stopped due to injury

Deadlift- 525

Now (just beginning again after ~3 years off)-

Bench- 315

Squat- 225 for sets of 10

Deadlift- Have yet to do any yet

Hal, that shit's crazy. How big were you when you set those PRs?

Brian, nice weights. You look pretty big in the black stig pics.

All those were done at 181 IIRC The deadlift may have been around 175. The 541 might have have been in the 198 class but I would have weighed about 187.

That's just insane to weigh that and lift those weights. I need to step my game up!

I was very dedicated at the time and I wouldn't suggest someone do the types of lifting I did unless they are very serious about competing in strength sports.

I'm a recreational lifter, don't care about image as long as I look bigger and fuller. I need to get my weights up because the stuff that I've done isn't that impressive.

Where did you lift at?

I have a full gym in my basement but, I coached Powerlifting at Westerville South High School.

All those were done at 181 IIRC The deadlift may have been around 175. The 541 might have have been in the 198 class but I would have weighed about 187.

what shirt did you use?

best shirted for me was 450 in a single ply f6 at the 165lb class.

and of coarse ive done the 405 at a true 180lb weight.

what shirt did you use?

best shirted for me was 450 in a single ply f6 at the 165lb class.

and of coarse ive done the 405 at a true 180lb weight.

I've used a few. I started with a single ply basic Inzer then went to a single ply Rage X when they first came out. When I got stronger I got sponsored by Karin's Xtreme Power so I used two different custom double ply denims from her. IMO (I'm no longer sponsored) Karin does make the best shirts you can get.

i can get info for the meet its not a qualifier for arnold. just a gym out east that a few people go and compete. im deff not strong enough for a large competition. i just started lifting heavy about 3 years ago. those guys liftes in high school and still do at 40. im 30 and id be a lot stronger if i could get to the gym more often. what i really want to do is drop some fat.

• 4 weeks later...
6'0 410

bench 195 3x on 4th set.

squat 185 rep

leg press 500 rep

military press 135 rep

preacher curl 65 rep

goals by april

bench 225 rep

squat 225 rep

leg press 600 rep

military press 185 rep

preacher ex curl 100 rep

goals by christmas

weight 300

bench 315 rep

squat 315 rep

leg press ??? rep

military press 225 rep

preacher ex curl 1?? rep

update:

bench 205 rep

squat 185 rep

military press 165 rep

preacher ex curl 75 rep

I will be looking to put up 1x265 (bench) on monday.