Shocks that generate electricity

zeitgeist57

If you build the shocks with strong magnets and a lot of windings, it can generate a lot of resistance and power.

It's not like regenerative braking OR regenerative shocks can be used...both technologies would be beneficial (provided that the cost/benefit ratio makes sense for mass production) working together.

...I feel like the freeways are pretty smooth around here. I'm no expert, but I would be surprised to see gains of more than 1 mpg.

I think regenerative braking would bring alot more energy back into the system.

It's not just the freeways, it's *all* roads, some of which are pretty craptacular. And regen braking, IIRC, is only about 30% efficient.

Forgot to add - even though the freeways are smooth, what happens to your front suspension when you press on the brake? or the rear when you hit the throttle?

Or turn in either direction? Shocks go through a lot of motion all the time. Put a set off 700lb springs on your car and drive the same "smooth" roads.:D

Or turn in either direction? Shocks go through a lot of motion all the time. Put a set off 700lb springs on your car and drive the same "smooth" roads.:D

Thats another idea. How much do these things weigh? I bet any gains would probably be offset by the added weight.

And it'd be easy enough to incorporate the regenerative system into a downgraded version of the Bose Active suspension:

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/learning/project_sound/suspension_challenge.jsp

Set it up so it's a hybrid system, use it as a regenerative shock system for small bumps, but have it scanning so it can activate for larger bumps and potholes.

...I feel like the freeways are pretty smooth around here. I'm no expert, but I would be surprised to see gains of more than 1 mpg.

I think regenerative braking would bring alot more energy back into the system.

haha. tell that to my 2 new bent rims :(

All hybrid cars that I know of have regenerative braking. Even the new Formula 1 cars use regenerative braking.

As for the shocks, that's a great idea.. It's one of those "Doh! That's so simple I should have thought of it and patented it" ideas. It's a great way to recover some of the energy lost by pushing the car over bumps. And there is a LOT of suspension motion just driving around.

could bring a new meaning to the term "bump start" haha. battery goes dead, push it down a gravel road.

i wonder if your battery died, you could just bounce the car up and down and charge it up?

Unless it's a Prius.. Apparently if the battery dies in one of those it's hell to get it running again. My friend owns one and he said that if the battery ever died, it would have to be towed to a dealership.