Building a house questions..

ChevyMan1972

Everyone,

Does anyone have any experiance with building a house on property you own? The wife and I are getting some land and having house built. If the land is in our name would we go with a conv. home loan? How does it work?

Thanks,

Daniel

Are you building in Delaware county? We bought our land and then built our house a few years later. The way we did it was to get a construction loan from the Delaware County Bank. Once you finish building your house, the construction loan can be rolled into a conv loan. The Delaware County Bank was very helpful when we built our house in Delaware county.

Edited by RS69

I am almost wanting to start looking into building. The wife and I can't find anything we want. Too many "family" style homes.

We really just want 2500-3000 sq/ft, at least a 3 car garage, full basement (that we can convert to a theater room), 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, vaulted ceilings with an open floor plan similar to our condo, and not be a big fixer-uper, on at least .75 acres in the Dublin/Powell/south of Delaware City area.

And we can't find shit. Sure we can, with a 4k+ sq/ft house @ 400k plus...no need to spend that much for what we want. Otherwise, a bunch of fixer-upers, cramped neighborhoods, weird floorplans, small 2-car garages with no way to build another, etc. What we are wanting shouldn't be that hard to find in the 200-300k range, but at that point it's all about as many bedrooms as possible in a little neighborhood, to be "family friendly."

So what's the cost of building something on an acre of Delaware land?