Need Advice

UNV MI Z

I am looking for some advice regarding a situation my buddy is currently in. I'll make this brief.

Buddy bought a few AR lower receivers from a company a few weeks ago. Knowing that these had to be shipped to a FFL holder, he set that up. FFL holder faxes over paperwork to said company, buddy pays for the receivers. He calls me up last night and said that UPS just dropped off his receivers at his house. He isn't sure why they went to him instead of the FFL holder.

Now though, he wants to just keep the receivers instead of taking them to his FFL holder and completing the paperwork. He is saying that by not completing the paperwork, then the gov't won't know he has them, since they aren't registered under his name.

What I think, but I'm not sure:

I told him that if he doesn't take them to a FFL for the paperwork, then the receivers will still be registered to the company he bought them from. So if for some reason in the future, these are ever checked, they will come back as belonging to the company he purchased them from.

So, this is where I'm looking for some advice. I'm not sure if I am correct or not. I think he should take them to his FFL and fill out the paperwork. However, I'm not quite sure about the legalities of all of this.

So, what do you guys think/recommend? Thanks in advance fellas.

Austin, thanks for the reply.

What I was trying to say regarding registration, was that if for some reason the receivers were ever "looked at", it would come up saying that the Company who sold him the receivers as the "Person" who last "owned" them, if that makes any sense?

I know that once you buy a weapon, there is no "registration" per say and that anyone can sell that weapon to another individual. I was just wondering if there would ever be anything to worry about if my buddy just kept the receivers and didn't "legally transfer them"?

Could doing so ever come back to bite him in the a**?

Thanks

I would go the legal route, especially with weapons. You dont want to end up with some felony weapons charge from this.

I agree. Even though they fucked up by sending them directly to him I would go the legal route to avoid all possible issues that might arise from not doing it.