Bonneville GXP/Northstar Question

GilbWs6

Does anyone know much about the Northstar motors? I'm thinking about buying one that I just took in on trade at work. It's going to be a daily driver that gets about 25,000 a year put on it. I'd be buying it $1,000 behind trade value. I just know nothing about these motors. Is there any kind of aftermarket for them?

There is nearly no aftermarket for them. Poor gas mileage. Poor horsepower. Many of the N* engines have a cylinder head bolt issue - they pull the threads in the block out. The engine has to be torn down to the block and reinforcements installed, which is not an easy task on that engine - book pays several days IIRC.

But the car looks cool. ;)

The Grand Prix GXP was and probably still is my first choice. This just happened to be a clean trade in that I could buy for about $5 k less than a Grand Prix. Wife graduates from nursing school in two weeks. No more tuition payments = new daily driver for me. Being that I've sold Pontiac, Buick & GMC products the last 4 years, I would like to stick with one of those to keep up appearances.