IT/Network guys, in here

Sully

Let me show you a easier/cheaper method. I will retract all of the below, if you tell me you took the IE and passed it, however I have $5000 that says that is not the case. ;)

1. Use online resources to acquire E-Books/CBT Nuggets/Guides Ect.

2. Test

3. Pass

4. Profit ?

He wouldn't need 5 grand for an IE. You can pass that for ~1500. If your that good of course. Amazing how one of the highest level Cisco Certs requires no Pre-Req's

CCIE is the last zero to hero cert. You can pass the written using the above methods, but you will never pass the lab without a large expenditure.

CCNA is a good certification to have as if you have passed it recently, you have some competency in networking (however most CCNAs cannot subnet IP in their head).

A+ and N+ are only for real newbs.

CCNA is a good certification to have as if you have passed it recently, you have some competency in networking (however most CCNAs cannot subnet IP in their head)

I know I can't. I've never really been a math guy, and for whatever reason Subnet Math never clicked in my head, even though it was always the first chapter in every networking class I have ever had.

People in the real world use subnet calculators anyway.

I know I can't. I've never really been a math guy, and for whatever reason Subnet Math never clicked in my head, even though it was always the first chapter in every networking class I have ever had.

People in the real world use subnet calculators anyway.

Not this people, real networkers do it in their head.

/25 is half of a /24. If you have ever looked at and-ing the binary bits from an IP to a sub-net it is pretty easy to see how it works. Additionally having to work it backwards into a wildcard mask will really cement it for you.

CCIE is the last zero to hero cert. You can pass the written using the above methods, but you will never pass the lab without a large expenditure.

CCNA is a good certification to have as if you have passed it recently, you have some competency in networking (however most CCNAs cannot subnet IP in their head).

A+ and N+ are only for real newbs.

Very true on all statements.

Not this people, real networkers do it in their head.

/25 is half of a /24. If you have ever looked at and-ing the binary bits from an IP to a sub-net it is pretty easy to see how it works. Additionally having to work it backwards into a wildcard mask will really cement it for you.

Wild Cards are fun, I still have to stop and think about them, and I have been doing this for 5 years or so. I just don't change alot of ACL's on a constant basis.

OH CCIE... yeah I would of taken that and it was in my plans but I got burned out after my time ran out. For my year of schooling I could take as many tests as I wanted and each were around $100. I wish I had more study time at the time I was enrolled.

The Written was $100, you have to fly to a Cisco site for the lab.

I was on a team that created a similar test for Aruba Networks. The failure rate was very high, everyone thinks they can make the gear dance.

everyone thinks they can make the gear dance.

:lol:

It's on my roadmap, but several years out. I want to finish my CCVP sometime this year and then maybe focus on STARTING the IE studying. We actually have a few in our center for mentoring, but even still we got a guy who is on strike 3/4 with the lab.

I was on a team that created a similar test for Aruba Networks. The failure rate was very high, everyone thinks they can make the gear dance.

That is what I liked about my school. All tests and labs were done on site. ;)

I have started to see more "Paper Cert" IE's pop up lately. I have worked with several IE's, who could only do things the way they taught you in the books. Otherwise they were clueless and were below CCNA Level.

This thread reminds me I have to schedule the CCNA class again in San Jose. My NA expires in April.

What is a good test prep engine anymore?

I have seen good success with Brain Dumps, and BOSON. There is one I sent to Thorne a while back too, I think it was called Actual Tests, it is a place out of China, where they literally have a copy of the test, in english. You can usually find it out in BitTorrent or News land.