Yet another Roomate legality Q

ODoyle

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We asked her to get a P.O. Box and she got her mail transferred anyways.

I thought you only have to evict somone if there was a lease agreement?

Verbal lease + residency= you are fucked. Give her a 30 day notice then you will have to take her to court.

BTW lots of bad advice in this thread.

get someone to live in the basement who says you cant get her a roommate .....another person to move in and take up her space ......whos bed is she sleeping? if yours sell it make her pay for a new one ....refuse to let her move it in....there are ways to make her want to leave ..turn the power off to the basement....... put locks on the bathroom doors

Are there any kids of hers involved? If not, I would absolutely follow through with your new locks plan. I agree protecting your kid is job #1. Yes, she could probably take you to court, but if she's in the situation she is in, it doesn't sound like she is a very motivated person to follow through with the hassle of court. If there wasn't rent money involved this would be simpler. But, IMO, it's still your house, and then the burden would be on her to file. The fact that you were accepting money from her screws you on the "no agreement" thing.

Don't break or throw away her stuff. Don't threaten violence against her. I wouldn't even say another word to her. She'll find someone else to go slum off of or some dude to shack up with.

Are there any kids of hers involved? If not, I would absolutely follow through with your new locks plan. I agree protecting your kid is job #1. Yes, she could probably take you to court, but if she's in the situation she is in, it doesn't sound like she is a very motivated person to follow through with the hassle of court. If there wasn't rent money involved this would be simpler. But, IMO, it's still your house, and then the burden would be on her to file. The fact that you were accepting money from her screws you on the "no agreement" thing.

Don't break or throw away her stuff. Don't threaten violence against her. I wouldn't even say another word to her. She'll find someone else to go slum off of or some dude to shack up with.

Nope,no kids she is a semi safe slut.I called CPD and the person I spoke with told me to change the locks and call CPD if she tries to enter the house.7 days is plenty of notice if there is no lease agreement and no history of payments made. So she cannot prove rent or residency after monday (mailman is stoping her mail to my address) I will keep you guys informed on how this pans out. CPD seems to be on my side :confused: I guess the marijuana alligations help me out here.

Verbal lease + residency= you are fucked. Give her a 30 day notice then you will have to take her to court.

BTW lots of bad advice in this thread.

I was thinking the same thing!

Despite what the police are saying, i would still consult a lawyer. Cover your ass, sersiously.

Advice from lawyer is usually free. Call a Real Estate Lawyer (i believe someones wife on here is one) and consult with them about it.

I was thinking the same thing!

Despite what the police are saying, i would still consult a lawyer. Cover your ass, sersiously.

Absolutely. Often times folks avoid the upfront costs only to pay more down the road.

Advice from lawyer is usually free.

:wtf: the first hour maybe is free, but that's just a consult to determine validity of the case/direction. not many are going to give free advice. not only is that bad business, but also it could put them in a predicament down the road.

Have you called the cops? I'm pretty sure that they will tell you this is a civil matter and to take it to court. They won't do shit.

If she has payed rent and has a mailing address, you'll have to go through the whole eviction process if she refuses to leave.

If it was me, I'd seek real legal counsel.

Have you called the cops? I'm pretty sure that they will tell you this is a civil matter and to take it to court. They won't do shit.

If she has payed rent and has a mailing address, you'll have to go through the whole eviction process if she refuses to leave.

If it was me, I'd seek real legal counsel.

Again, no proof of paying rent.