My FC project has begun.

Wonderboy

Please don't cut a hole in the hood if you run a carb.

I dont plan on it. Ive already got a few good ideas for keeping the hood hole-less. Plus, I want this thing to be all sexy, low, and smooth looking when its done. I cant do that with a big hole in the hood.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's a question for you guys. How much power can the stock n/a rear end handle? I was surfing the web today and found some builds that were running stock n/a rear diffs with some pretty big engine/ sticky tire combos and they said they've had no issues. They didnt have any numbers posted so Im not sure what they were putting down. Thanks for any input.

Guest Removed
So here's a question for you guys. How much power can the stock n/a rear end handle? I was surfing the web today and found some builds that were running stock n/a rear diffs with some pretty big engine/ sticky tire combos and they said they've had no issues. They didnt have any numbers posted so Im not sure what they were putting down. Thanks for any input.

where they auto trans cars? they are always easyer on the driveline.

are you going to throw a t-5 at it? or c-4?

If you plan on road racing, no problems. The n/a diff will actually save you some horsepower and you can swap in a set of 3.90 gears from an automatic car. If you plan on bolting on some sticky tires and hitting the drag strip, you're on borrowed time.

You said earlier you're going to build a 302 if I wasn't mistaken? Granted I'm still un-sure as to if you're going EFI or carbed, but you'll have an amazing combo if you were pushing 350+RWHP.

Good luck with the build. When do you plan on having it done and out running around? Better hope you never get in a big wreck in a car with a full cage without a helmet your head will be bouncing around like a ping pong ball.

Well Id like to have it up and running by the end of this season but, its more realistic to think that it wont be up and running until next year. Im currently saving for a house so I cant justify spending "unnecessary" money at this time. But, I should have the intterior and exterior together pretty soon, and then Ill just have to wait until I can buy a powertrain.

where they auto trans cars? they are always easyer on the driveline.

are you going to throw a t-5 at it? or c-4?

Good point, i didnt think about that. The one guy was running a built 393ci engine with full out drag slicks and it was an auto.

If you plan on road racing, no problems. The n/a diff will actually save you some horsepower and you can swap in a set of 3.90 gears from an automatic car. If you plan on bolting on some sticky tires and hitting the drag strip, you're on borrowed time.

Well, I plan on some road racing. And Ive thought about the sticky tire thing and decided that I want to run something fairly aggressive but, Im gonna stick with a tire that will hopefully break loose before it explodes the rear end. That is until I get more money to build it stronger.

Looking good.

Thanks. Im pretty happy with how its moving along. I have been lazy the past couple days though. Once we get a warm week or two in a row, I plan on having all of the "free" stuff done.

You said earlier you're going to build a 302 if I wasn't mistaken? Granted I'm still un-sure as to if you're going EFI or carbed, but you'll have an amazing combo if you were pushing 350+RWHP.

Well, Im thinking that phase 1 of this project will just be a stock carbed 302 so that I can atleast get the car moving and work out any issues that may come up, and then the winter after my first season of the car running I plan on pulling the engine and building it up a bit more.

Guest tbutera2112
Well, Im thinking that phase 1 of this project will just be a stock carbed 302 so that I can atleast get the car moving and work out any issues that may come up, and then the winter after my first season of the car running I plan on pulling the engine and building it up a bit more.

this is pretty much what im doing.... stockish motor just to get it rolling... build it up after the bugs are worked out in the swap

this is pretty much what im doing.... stockish motor just to get it rolling... build it up after the bugs are worked out in the swap

Yeah, it seems to be the smartest way to me. Plus, a stock 302 with header back exhaust, intake manifold, and maybe a little spray should be plenty of fun in this little car for a while.

So I dont have pics uploaded yet but, I did get the rest of the rear interior cut and installed this afternoon. And I routed a few more wires, nothing too fancy. I am however in need of the trim for around the stereo/ hvac controls, some taillights, and something else that I cant remember right now. lol. If any of you FC guys have anything that youre willing to let go of, let me know.

Sounds good man, but why don't you fit some aluminum in those places to make a custom layout. It would be mad tight yo.

I plan on doing a custom console with some type of sheet metal but, I want the factory trim that surrounds everything so I have a nice clean way to finish it off.

i left the 2.3 fairly stock with a stock tune so i wasn't guessing at stuff once i got it running. then if i need to, i can mod it later. the one thing i've learned int he few projects i've done is to keep its simple and close to stock as possible on the initial build or shit gets complicated.

You could always glass it in. I'd be doing something like that on your car. It just needs something more then factory bezels.

Yeah but then I cant tell people that its all "stock". lol. Then again the roll cage might stand out a little bit more than non-factory trim. Ugh, I got soooo much shit left to do. I need to sell this damn kirkey seat and these wheels so I can buy some damn parts.