Building a web page. Have questions

Guest Removed

Guest Removed

WEBSITE

excuse my newbness to this.

ok so i was recommended to go to ixwebhosting.com and have some simple questions to start out.

does one really need spam guard?

wtf is SSL?

and i have no idea what im doing at the moment

Edited by Removed

find some nerdy ass dude with a busted car and fix it in trade for a web page

good plan.

Make sure they actually can do a good website. Not just any nerd will do or you will have a half assed website.

Get a idea what you want and let me know I can point you in the right direction but i dont do web design. hit me up.

If your building just a web page where you wont have people give you personal information over the net, you dont need an ssl certificate. If memeory serves its from a third party who ensures the given informations protection. Are you taking credit cards or anything over the net?

Guest Removed
find some nerdy ass dude with a busted car and fix it in trade for a web page

well thats whats going on.. i have someone that is building it for me...but im just trying to get just what i need in the basic sign up, and options. im not building it...but i'm sure i will be playing with it, once its up and running. cause ill want to add a testimonials and all that, and update the pics and what not.

Guest Removed
If your building just a web page where you wont have people give you personal information over the net, you dont need an ssl certificate. If memeory serves its from a third party who ensures the given informations protection. Are you taking credit cards or anything over the net?

well i was thinking of that...but dont think thats a good idea.

ill want to take CC once i get settled in and what not.

OT:can you still steal that lift thingy to move my box?

Guest Removed
I have seen many people do some really nice web pages, not websites, with just one of the free webpage building sites out there.

im talking building a website.

edited first post

well i was thinking of that...but dont think thats a good idea.

ill want to take CC once i get settled in and what not.

OT:can you still steal that lift thingy to move my box?

Sorry, but with my accident theother night I wont be walking for the next 6 months most likely. And it belongs to work.

Guest Removed
Sorry, but with my accident theother night I wont be walking for the next 6 months most likely. And it belongs to work.

thats cool man i understand all that. but get where you can hobble around and stop by some time.

Guest Removed
http://www.webs.com

I use them for all of my sites. They've got awesome support and I have been happy with them since I started using their services in 2005.

freeservers.com is who i use rob

but who built them per say? you guys do it yourself?

just go to hostgator.com

I think there is still a code where you can get the first month for a penny. If you're only going to be hosting one site, they have a 4.95/month plan that would be perfect for you.

fuck all of the hosts mentioned so far. You won't like them.

you don't need spamgaurd if you don't ever put your email address on there, or use the domain for email.

SSL is for secure connection to the website, like for when people use a credit card to buy something from the Information Super Highway.

I've got dreamhost, I should be able to make a coupon to get it for damn cheap if not free for the first year or something. Then its $10/month, and every month your bandwidth and host space grows. You can host as many domains as you want, the first domain you register is free and any after that are $10 each.

As for actually building it - have any more specific questions? I don't know a whole lot about websites, but so far your questions are very broad.