Advertising for small biz questions.

thorne

I'm working on getting my company going and I really want to get it out in front of more people. I already know I've got more features and WAY better pricing to my closest competitor. But I'm not sure how to get it front of the target audience. You can have the best product in the world and if no one sees it you won't take off.

So this is for the guys who run business on here. how do you get your name out there? Do you do newspapers? I am 100% sure I can't afford to do tv ads. I worry that news paper ads won't be noticed.

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Is this for the photo stuff?

People that need help with that are probably a bit older. Older people read newspapers.

The last newspaper/web campaign our company ran was highly successful because the deal that was offered was good... which seems to be the direction you are in.

Did you use google ad words for you online compaign ?

My target audience is business owners though I have a home product. Radio spots I've not thought about that much. I'm curious the cost.

An ad in Business First may do you some good then.

Viral Marketing (sometimes referred to as Guerrilla Marketing) tactics work well for many small businesses, especially when budget concerns are at the forefront of your mind. Although I don't know the specifics of your business or your target audience, I'd think this route could be a worthy option.

Put your best dress attire on and make up some business cards and drop them off. Put in the leg work. If you want some strats for talking to people door to door give me a call I can give you some hints. Word of mouth and setting up a list of contacts is going to be your best bet. I know personally I wont do any business security wise with anyone until I know who they are and have first hand experience with someone who has delt with them.

So your best bet is going to be start up some business relationships and see where that takes you.

Physical Security for a Digital Age doesnt sit well with me either... Im thinking for you

+1

Getting rid of the Physical part and just going with

"Security for a Digital Age" sounds better but still does not sound great to me.

I got to look at the product a while back when you showed me and I was impressed. I have seen very few setups anywhere with the kind of quality you had and the quality at that price point.

I think with a bit more refinement (from people with more experience in this area) and you would have a very marketable product. I have a few contacts at a newspaper or two that I could get in touch with.

Guest Removed
"security for a digital age" makes me think youre trying to sell comoputer firewalls and shit.... you should rework that

almost what im thinking

physical security for a digital age make me think you are selling security guard services

should be more like digital sercurity for a digital age :D

Thorn, get in touch with my sister for website design... http://www.boscstudio.com This is what she does for a living... and shes pretty damn good.

And if you want to get the name out to businesses...

PIZZA DELIVERY

Do you have any idea how many coupon toppers go out the door of a good pizza delivery shop? My old store did about 3000/wk. Not only do people go to homes, but to TONS of businesses. Im sure if you set up a simple system for a store, they'd do your fliers for a year.

I'm working on getting my company going and I really want to get it out in front of more people. I already know I've got more features and WAY better pricing to my closest competitor. But I'm not sure how to get it front of the target audience. You can have the best product in the world and if no one sees it you won't take off.

So this is for the guys who run business on here. how do you get your name out there? Do you do newspapers? I am 100% sure I can't afford to do tv ads. I worry that news paper ads won't be noticed.

Opinion....start small and don't go too far into debt at first. It's easy to spend; much harder to earn. I believe the key to being successful involves several things outside just hitting the masses. My wife started her law practice with less than $10k total first year + rent/utilities. Networking is and will always be key. Many small businesses hardly need to advertise.

Case Study and Referrals:

Even if you hit the masses and companies begin coming to you, they will likely ask to talk with references. Even if they don't said references will do wonders for your credibility and respect in the market. People buy from those they like, but first they look to see that you are reputable and can be trusted. Especially in today's climate. Seed the market with some key installs, perhaps businesses found from contacts right here? Then use them as case studies and references. Cover those bases and you're golden.

Target a market:

I see real success with Small businesses when they focus on a target market, understand the space and client needs and play to that better than anyone. Again, hold off on the masses until you can build some case sites and references. For now, my advice is to start small and work from referrals. Who knows someone that would take a few minutes to talk with you and then set up a meeting.

I've worked with tons and tons of start ups to SMB resellers and work for a relatively small (65 person) company now and would be happy to share more on how they have done what they have. Many of them started as 1-2 guys, a good idea and then have grown into huge businesses. I love thinking about that in hopes that someday that will be me :)

ROI:

Don't lean on price or features without the benefits. Think ROI. Why your solution is what they need to prioritize spending towards. Capital spends today are limited. Especially where there's no plan or budget. More so in the SMB market. Think through how you are different and think of it in hard dollar savings. Present a solid ROI to go with you. Don't ever mention the competition...ever...let the client bring them up if they do. Your job will be to understand the customers business and pain points.

I'm a firm believer in a solution sale and having a business process when talking to clients about how to handle their pain. The Methodology I use is a 7 step process:

1. Understand their problem: Define it with them as often they won't know.

2. Identify goals and requirements: How will the system be measured for success and what requirements do they have

3. Map their current practices: What are they doing today. Not what they "think" they are doing, but what actually happens

4. Design a solution together: Has to be a two way street with their involvement to avoid surprises

5. Calculate ROI: Bottom line, using their figures, what will this cost them, where's the break even and what will the long term gain be.

6. Document and present your findings to key decision makers. All heads have to nod or it's not likely going to sell.

7. Begin the Technical Design: What exactly is needed to make the solution work.

I would honestly rework your website before you make it more public.

And the name too...

When I see "quality" I think $$$$$

You should change it to "Affordable" if youre going to undercut others like you say.

Thanks for the feedback. But the product I'm offering costs about 1/4 of the price of say a honeywell with similar capabilities. Maybe I should come out and just post the pricing for the base system. I'm not sure.

We've been really really busy preparing for a demo for the police to use in cruisers.

almost what im thinking

physical security for a digital age make me think you are selling security guard services

should be more like digital sercurity for a digital age :D

If they look at the pictures and can't figure out its cameras.....

This is not to tear into my naming system. The website was forced online early. I really like the tag and the feedback on it out of a huge list of various things was pretty much hands down.