Your Job?

Main3s

How many of you really enjoy what you do for a living? Do you find your work challenging and rewarding (other then pay). Do you trust and believe in your employer? Do you like the people you work with and the environment you work in? I understand that its work so you’re not going to enjoy it everyday but do you enjoy it 90% of the time?

If you do truly enjoy what you do, how did you wind up in your position? Was it by just moving up in a company, or was it something you’ve always want to do?

If you DON’T enjoy your job, why do you stay? Is it just because of the money or are you worried you can’t find other work?

I really enjoy my job up until I got hurt. Sure it sucks at times but I am payed well, I am respected and have access to the owner which is probably the reason I have stayed for so long. Had I not of had the ear of my boss I probably wouldnt have stayed. Having someone tell you your doing a good job and show you appreciation means alot to me. I tried working for a large corporation recently and I was miserable. Small business' is where its at for me.

fuck... what timing this post is.... i could write a novel.

i've been at my company for 8 years and in IT for 8 years. i've been doing my current position for 4 years. in a department with 100 developers, 20 project managers, 20 quality assurance testers, and 30 or so business analyst... i'm the only one pushing the code out. ive loved being here for so long but recently, its getting gay. they are hiring more and more of everything, but help for me. i have no one here to help educate me, to learn any more that what i already know. and with recent projects.. ive been hating coming into work. i hate my boss... he isnt a manager. he's here for a pay check and not willing to help me understand anything. i dunno.. maybe i should be the one taking the steps to better myself? but with no help or motivation... i dont see a point.

i think the key to enjoying what you do is enjoying the people that do the job with you. ive grown up with these people and they consider me their little sister. i drink and party with them. i share my life with them and them with me. "what happens on tue's, stays at the bar" haha i wouldnt have made it this far without them. but i think it's about that time for me to move on... im not learning anything new.

im going for a decade at safe auto though. atleast that will make me feel good.

/rant

I really enjoy my job up until I got hurt. Sure it sucks at times but I am payed well, I am respected and have access to the owner which is probably the reason I have stayed for so long. Had I not of had the ear of my boss I probably wouldnt have stayed. Having someone tell you your doing a good job and show you appreciation means alot to me. I tried working for a large corporation recently and I was miserable. Small business' is where its at for me.

i completely agree... if people arent telling you that you are doing a good job and making you feel appreciated... you lose the motivation.

Well I used to enjoy working on cars, but now I hate it. The only reason I stay here is b/c I don't have experience doing anything else or a degree. I can't make the money I'm making now, well that's debatable. With things being so slow my paychecks are about half of what they should be and I'm sitting around for hours on end without a car to touch. I do love my co-workers though, they're the reason I came back to this shop after I quit previously. They at least keep my entertained most days.

My brother is supposed to be getting me a hook-up working for the County Sheriff's office, so I hope that comes through. I've been looking into going into law enforcement, but it's hard to go to school when you have a child that you take care of 90% of the time.

Well I used to enjoy working on cars, but now I hate it. The only reason I stay here is b/c I don't have experience doing anything else or a degree. I can't make the money I'm making now, well that's debatable. With things being so slow my paychecks are about half of what they should be and I'm sitting around for hours on end without a car to touch. I do love my co-workers though, they're the reason I came back to this shop after I quit previously. They at least keep my entertained most days.

My brother is supposed to be getting me a hook-up working for the County Sheriff's office, so I hope that comes through. I've been looking into going into law enforcement, but it's hard to go to school when you have a child that you take care of 90% of the time.

Are you at West with Rich and Brian?

I miss the guys at Saturn, (exclude Jim Black and Jeff Waugh) but I don't miss the business/job.

I dont think there is a whole lot going on in the law enforcement world right now either.

I just hate doing the same thing week in and week out, shit's boring. And recently my Dept got changed around. I use to work with only 3 other people who were pretty cool work friends (everyone I work for is 40+ years old so not much in common outside work). But it got switched and now I'm alone, which SHOULD have meant I run my own dept, but Nooo. All I heard was results results results and you'll go far. Well i gave results results results, and when the time came, they split up my people and gave me shit. Now I have to report to someone who doesn't know WTF is going on. The worst part is I'm all alone. I literally work in an office by myself and don't work with anyone else and my "Manager" oversees another Dept so she never bothers me...It was kind of cool at first, but it sucks coming into work everyday and only people I take to are people I pass in the hall. I can't share or talk to anyone else about what I do because I'm the only one. I get paid really well and the benefits/ time off is good, but I just want a challenge and someone to share the good and the bad with... That's why I'm on CR M-F's hahahah.

I have worked with networks for about a decade. I work for a Silicon Valley Manufacturer and really love the environment. I get to see just about every kind of environment and I get to fly around the world on a regular basis.

I am rarely told I have done a good job, I don't like to hear that. I figure if I suck I should be fired and if I am doing a good job, it is why I was hired.

I find my job very rewarding. As a Recreational Gynecologist, I only see patients for good things and it's fun. I don't deal with all the bad that a normal OBGYN would be up to their elbow in (pun intended). When I meet with a client, there is an understanding and a since of pride that I put into my work. When they leave exhausted and tell me they enjoyed their visit, it just makes me want to show up for work everyday. I take the time to stay up to date with the latest techniques in my trade, by visiting many well known web sites that are updated daily. I also take the time to research and experiment on my own time. The gratification never gets old. I see myself doing this for a long time.

I find my job very rewarding. As a Recreational Gynecologist, I only see patients for good things and it's fun. I don't deal with all the bad that a normal OBGYN would be up to their elbow in (pun intended). When I meet with a client, there is an understanding and a since of pride that I put into my work. When they leave exhausted and tell me they enjoyed their visit, it just makes me want to show up for work everyday. I take the time to stay up to date with the latest techniques in my trade, by visiting many well known web sites that are updated daily. I also take the time to research and experiment on my own time. The gratification never gets old. I see myself doing this for a long time.

Ewww thats nasty.

I have worked with networks for about a decade. I work for a Silicon Valley Manufacturer and really love the environment. I get to see just about every kind of environment and I get to fly around the world on a regular basis.

I am rarely told I have done a good job, I don't like to hear that. I figure if I suck I should be fired and if I am doing a good job, it is why I was hired.

Yeah I agree with that for the most part. i don't need to hear that I've done my job everyday. But it does feel good to know that you have a positive impact on things and that peopel notice.

I see what you did there... Well played! ;)

Are you at West with Rich and Brian?

I miss the guys at Saturn, (exclude Jim Black and Jeff Waugh) but I don't miss the business/job.

Brian Parks? He teaches at Tolls now. Rich is still here, as is Jim Black, but Jeff Waugh got fired. He's the service manager at Lexus in Dublin now.

I just got a job at Waterbeds N' Stuff and I do enjoy that. I also work at a pizza shop and it's not a bad gig. I just have these so I can pay for school.

I see school as my main job now and I hate it. Wish I could just skip it and get out into the business world and start doing something interactive.

I'm afraid to leave school because I think it's the only way I'm going to be able to live my life the way I want to.

I've worked at The Northend Wrench for about 5 1/2 years now and I love it. I started as a clean up boy and have worked my way up to a tech position. I def. could not do any desk work, and my job is constantly changing. Pay is what is to be expected for a newb in the field that is not ASE certified, but I'm not complaining.

i completely agree... if people arent telling you that you are doing a good job and making you feel appreciated... you lose the motivation.

I am very needy when it comes to stuff like work. Money doesnt motivate me as much as having someone show appreciation for what I am doing.

Loving my job. It's constantly changing and there is always something to learn. Co-workers are great, and provide that motivational push to be better. The job opportunities in this field are endless, to include everything from military to civil service to civilian contractors, and all pay pretty good. It took me a little while to get here since I wasn't real sure as to what I wanted to do, but I'm happy that I made it.

I love my co-workers. The work is easy, the managers are not motivating. It is a long term temp job. Just til im out of school.

On the other hand it is not mentally stimulating in the least. I have to work weekends which is a give take type situation. I dont spend money but I dont have fun.

Anyways I serve at a restaurant on Polaris.