home electric help...

evan9381

the house i bought a couple months has 3 exterior lights out front. one on each side of the garage, and one by the front door.

before we moved in but were here working on it, i noticed that the light on the right side of the garage worked, but not the other 2. figured bad bulbs since house has been sitting for a while...took the good bulb to the front door so i could see my keys and shit, everything is fine.

well, tonight, i go to put 2 new bulbs out front, neither side works. follow the wiring to find where it goes. the right light has a wire in the garage to the a box, then a wire to the light, and another wire coming out the box, ending at a box with 3 switch spots, but only 2 switches (middle one empty). that wire runs to the switch on the left...i dont think its an issue with that box, because the switch on the right controls one of my other lights, and it works fine

what can i look at so i can have some lights on my driveway that work?

Break out a voltage tester and see if you have power at the light socket, fixture wiring, and switch in that order. Check between hot and neutral to make sure you have both. This is where to start, and just cause the other switch in that box works doesn't mean its on the same circuit. Good luck, let me know I'd be happy to shoot you some advice.

ok...you're speaking a second language to me.

the voltage tester, im sure my g/fs dad probably has one, as he used to build houses, and has anything ive asked for in 3 years. i tease him that he could build a navy cruiser out of his basement with all the shit he has

how do i use the voltage tester to test those things?

the voltage tester, im sure my g/fs dad probably has one, as he used to build houses, and has anything ive asked for in 3 years. i tease him that he could build a navy cruiser out of his basement with all the shit he has

Well this isn't too easy to explain over the net. A voltage tester has 2 probes on it and you put them between hot and ground or hot and neutral to measure voltage. However if you're asking that much detail, you'd be better off getting some help the first few times. If I had more free time I'd swing by, but maybe someone else will chime in.

I have a voltage tester. My house was built in '73 and I have dealt with a lot of wiring issues. Plus I have a friend that does maintenance for Abercrombie. He's really good with electric. I could come over and do some testing and look at the wiring. If I'm stumped, I could call my friend and explain it to him. He's been able to help me over the phone in the past. I am really only available on the weekends. PM if you'd like me to come over this weekend and help.

If you don't know how to use a VOM, then please don't mess with the electrical work. You could hurt yourself, burn the place down, etc.

It isn't hard to understand home electrical stuff if you have some basic knowledge, but your questions seems a bit too basic, and you should really do a LOT more research and have someone show you some stuff before you do something you may regret.

Better safe than sorry.

If the house has been sitting a wile take a look at the inside of the socket. See if it looks rusty or filled with dead insects.

My outside light would work for a day or so then burn out the light. If I replaced the bulb it would last another day then burn out. I replaced the whole socket thing and it works fine now.

If you don't know how to use a VOM, then please don't mess with the electrical work. You could hurt yourself, burn the place down, etc.

It isn't hard to understand home electrical stuff if you have some basic knowledge, but your questions seems a bit too basic, and you should really do a LOT more research and have someone show you some stuff before you do something you may regret.

Better safe than sorry.

exactly why i tried to check here before i dug into anything...figured if it was something easy, i could try to tackle it myself

if either has time and doesnt mind swinging by this weekend, im free all day thursday, friday til 330, all day saturday, and sunday til about 330. ive got plenty of cold budweiser, heineken light, and bud light for your time. :D

im about 1/4 mile from easton, in the neighborhood behind evans automotive at morse/sunbury

Better safe than sorry.

good advice....take gtp up on his offer and let him teach you how to do it in the future. There's tons of books on this stuff you can read but no light switch is worth risking burning down your house over.