My brother needs a strong desktop

Ramsey

This is like the 3rd time I have seen them list the 920 for that price...I am willing to bet it will be listed that price again some time next month.

it seems to be the price all over the net as well.

This is prolly what he is going to get.

- Quad-Core Intel® Core™ i7 940 2.93GHz 4.8GT/s QPI 8MB L3 Cache (VT)

- MSI X58 Platinum SLI - ATX - Intel® X58 Chipset

- 6 x Crucial 2GB PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3

- In Win F430 - ATX Mid Tower - No Power Supply - Black

- Antec EarthWatts EA 650 - 650W Power Supply

- 750GB SATA 7200RPM - 3.5" - Seagate Barracuda® 7200.11

- Samsung 22x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer LightScribe (SATA)

- MSI NVIDIA GeForce N250GTS 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 (2xDVI)

- SATA Power Connector - 6" - 4-pin to 15-pin

- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1 (64-bit)

- System Assembly and Testing (Desktop)

- System Packaging

- Extended Three Year Warranty

Sub Total: $1,725.00

Sales Tax: $116.44

Total: $1,841.44

Cant really get much cheaper building it myself.

I just talked to him. He is leaning building his own. He wants the 12 gigs and the i7940 and everything based arround that. I need to know what motherboard to use with it. lightscribe is not needed, either is the norton or works.

I really just need to know what motherboard, fans,power/case, and video card.

Coolmaster HAF932 is the case Im using. Has excellent (award winning) cooling. http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=en&act=detail&id=5363

Just make sure the motherboard you pick uses the same socket as the i7940 and you should be fine. Read some reviews on the board cause its unlikely most people on here have had experience with all of the latest boards.

Dont forget to have him buy a monitor seperate he'll probably get a better monitor for 2/3 the cost.

EDIT: Mind posting where your building that from?

Step up to the 7200.12 if you are set on that brand and class of drive. The .11 series had some firmware issues. I would personally also go for an i7 920 and put some of that extra $300 towards a faster video card, like a GTX260 (especially if his CAD stuff is CUDA accelerated). Give that 920 a very mild overclock and you're back where you started CPU-wise.

I just bought a new budget rig myself.. spent about $500 before rebates.

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3Ghz

Asus P5Q SE2

EVGA GeForce 9800GT

2x 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR3

160GB SATAHD

250GB IDEHD (existing from old rig)

Antec EarthWatts EA 500w

OEM Pioneer CD/DVD RW

Coolmaster HAF932 is the case Im using. Has excellent (award winning) cooling. http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=en&act=detail&id=5363

EDIT: Mind posting where your building that from?

That isnt the final build or price, that was just a quote from a computer builder I know. I think my brother talked to him and told him exactly what he needs it for and the builder said there will be a few changes.

Is he going with a multiple monitor setup or just one large one?

I believe he will just be using one.

Step up to the 7200.12 if you are set on that brand and class of drive. The .11 series had some firmware issues. I would personally also go for an i7 920 and put some of that extra $300 towards a faster video card, like a GTX260 (especially if his CAD stuff is CUDA accelerated). Give that 920 a very mild overclock and you're back where you started CPU-wise.

I know he told the builder to go with a smaller/safer drive. He doesnt need the size, he needs quality. He and the builder both seemed pretty set on th 940, but i will keep this updated and let everyone know on what he builds.

• 3 weeks later...