Soliciting Ideas: Mom and Dad Need A Car

31rx7

Their 1994 Geo Prizm has almost 200k miles on it, and is pretty tired. Here's what they are looking for:

- Excellent gas mileage (25+ mpg around town)

- Automatic transmission

- Not real low; ease of ingress / egress

- Reliable; cheap to own

- Good safety

- $10,000 or less

Initially they like the Toyota Matrix / Pontiac Vibe. Interestingly the reliability ratings on these differ considerably; I thought they were built at the same plant.

Other models I have thought about but have not researched include:

- Subaru Outback or Forester

- Mazda 3

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Rich

New car only, or are good used cars being considered?

Edit: I guess in this price range, you're looking mostly at used cars.

I don't think you can go wrong with a well-maintained 1990's vintage Buick. I inherited my father's car, and it meets every goal you've listed. I see them in good shape all over for $3500.

Edited by Doc

Subarus have great ease of entry/exit (especially the higher Outbacks/Foresters), are very reliable, easy to work on, and have superb safety in both impact and not crashing in the first place (AWD FTMFW).

However, you won't find a 25mpg city rating. I love Subies, but I can't honestly call them fuel efficient. :( There are rumors of Toyota and Subaru working together on Direct Injection solutions, but that doesn't help you now. So if mileage is very important, then a Subaru might not be the best choice.

But if they're flexible, I think a Subaru is the only choice (as evidenced by my two Subies. ;) ).

In this price range, they are looking used.

On the Yaris, doesn't fit the price range.

Sonata, maybe. Not a big Hyundai / Kia fan.

On the Buick, I suggested an older, larger car or mini van at lower cost, but they prefer something smaller.

Cobalt, maybe. I have not sat in one. A higher seat is better given Dad's ability to get in and out.

Dodge Caliber fits the bill except they seem so cheap. I've driven a few.

On the Subies, I was wondering about the MPG. I like the AWD though.

Keep'em coming.

Subaru Forrester - head gaskets sometimes, cam shaft seals that involve timing belts, rear wheel bearings, and cv shaft boots. All are somewhat common problems. Some have no problems, some have all of them.

Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix - same 1zz-fe engine...don't know why reliability is different other thant he demograohics of who buys the car....they are the exact same I have driven both....the hood stickers for the motors are the same on both.

Honda Fit- Too small??

Toyota Corolla - Same size, find one with a timing chain....no timing belt service then.

Cobalt - Haven't touched any at the shop yet...no opinions

Mini Cooper?????

Chevy Impala?? Good sized car that gets close to 30mpg though it sounds like it may be bigger than what they want. The Subaru's won't touch that mpg though they fit the bill everywhere else.

Mazda 3 would be my choice. Newer corolla??

Chevy Impala?? Good sized car that gets close to 30mpg though it sounds like it may be bigger than what they want. The Subaru's won't touch that mpg though they fit the bill everywhere else.

Mazda 3 would be my choice. Newer corolla??

You can hit 30mph on the highway in a Subie, but he was asking about city mpg. I don't think the Impala gets 30mpg in the city.

You can hit 30mph on the highway in a Subie, but he was asking about city mpg. I don't think the Impala gets 30mpg in the city.

my grand prix got 34 mpg higway an 30 city an the impala an gp are same thing preety much

hyundai elantra. can probably buy new for 11k. with my old one, i was getting ~34 highway, and ~28 city, and that was driving it hard ALL the time. i never had a problem with it that i didn't directly cause.

+1

My dad got an elantra for 11k brand new. We've never had a problem with it and its got full power, ac/heat, sunroof and so on. Gets excellent gas mileage and is very reliable.

Thanks for the replies.

- Fit doesn't fit the price range

- Corolla, maybe. Dad likes Toyota's

- Camry, maybe. I am trying to push them towards a larger car like a Camry / Altima / Accord, but not having much luck.

- Impala, no. Dad hates Chevrolet. Do they really get 30 mpg in town day in and day out? Not doubting your experience, but that seems atypical.

- Mini, no. This is their car, not mine!

- Caliber, maybe. Fits the requirements nicely and there are a lot of low mileage ones cheap. But, if you've ever been in one, the interior screams "I am a POS". Hard plastic everywhere.

- Element, maybe. Gas mileage not quite what they want, but they are utilitarian and sit up high with good ingress / egress. The 2wd ones are cheaper and would work for them.

- Hyundai / Kia (Elantra, Sonata, etc.), maybe. Will check them out.

Cars on the list to look at:

- Vibe / Matrix

- Caliber

- Saturn Vue 2wd

- Honda Element

- Cobalt / G3

- Accord / Camry / Altima

- Corolla / Civic / Sentra

- Hyundai / Kia, Sonata / Optima, Elantra, etc.

Should be enough to entertain them with. Thanks!

I would have to go with the Sonata off of that list. We have a couple of nicely equipped '08s here with low miles, and they are in the 13k range. I know that is above the limit they are looking for, but you should be able to find some 06-07 lower mileage units around 10k. Lots of safety features and very reliable.

Subarus have great ease of entry/exit (especially the higher Outbacks/Foresters), are very reliable, easy to work on, and have superb safety in both impact and not crashing in the first place (AWD FTMFW).

However, you won't find a 25mpg city rating. I love Subies, but I can't honestly call them fuel efficient. :( There are rumors of Toyota and Subaru working together on Direct Injection solutions, but that doesn't help you now. So if mileage is very important, then a Subaru might not be the best choice.

But if they're flexible, I think a Subaru is the only choice (as evidenced by my two Subies. ;) ).

X2!

In this price range, they are looking used.

On the Yaris, doesn't fit the price range.

Sonata, maybe. Not a big Hyundai / Kia fan.

On the Buick, I suggested an older, larger car or mini van at lower cost, but they prefer something smaller.

Cobalt, maybe. I have not sat in one. A higher seat is better given Dad's ability to get in and out.

Dodge Caliber fits the bill except they seem so cheap. I've driven a few.

On the Subies, I was wondering about the MPG. I like the AWD though.

Keep'em coming.

I just bought an 09 Impreza and while it's the base model it still get decent mileage. About 24-26 city 30-32 highway. It doesn’t fall in you 10K range but they have good deals. Defiantly worth taking a look at… I’m glad I did.

Cars on the list to look at:

- Corolla / Civic / Sentra

- Hyundai

- Accord / Camry / Altima

Re-ranked them for you on what I would look at. IMO, parents, cost effective, reliable transportion.....Civic stands out. Corolla too. If they want larger I'd go Accord.

All of them can be had used for a good values and fit the bill.

Looks like they are settling on the 2002 - 2005 Civic, 4 door, automatic. We looked at a couple today. If anyone knows of a nice, low mileage one for under $10k, let me know. I have already identified a few on AutoTrader and Craigslist.