New rings at 50K

RadDawg

The CTS is at Germain getting new rings and seals at just over 50K miles. Seems it's a common problem with the 3.6l engine. Sucks having to drive the 98 Neon 'til I get it back, but at least it's covered by my extended warranty. Only $50.00 out of pocket, Germain gave an estimate of $4000.00 to MaxCare. They said the engine has to be dropped out from below to do the work, anyone know it that's true? Sounds like major PITA!

drop it out through the bottom onto a subframe hoist its kinda cool you should go watch them pull it if you have the time

I hate it when customers want to come back and watch me work on their vehicle. Especially a bigger job like that.

The CTS is at Germain getting new rings and seals at just over 50K miles. Seems it's a common problem with the 3.6l engine. Sucks having to drive the 98 Neon 'til I get it back, but at least it's covered by my extended warranty. Only $50.00 out of pocket, Germain gave an estimate of $4000.00 to MaxCare. They said the engine has to be dropped out from below to do the work, anyone know it that's true? Sounds like major PITA!

WOW, at only 50k miles?! That the type of work that should be done at 150k miles. Just think if you had not had an extended warranty. I would hope this isnt a 'common problem' with the 3.6l engines in these cars, if so thats terrible.

Just curious but why?

The same reason a lot of people don't like to have people looking over their shoulders at everything. It's just annoying and makes it feel like there's added pressure on you.

The same reason a lot of people don't like to have people looking over their shoulders at everything. It's just annoying and makes it feel like there's added pressure on you.

That is correct, it doesn't matter what I am doing my customers will stand over my shoulder and critique what I am doing. I never mind someone observing for a few minutes, as long as it is a few minutes, but no for a freaking hour. After all it is their car.