Talk me into keeping my car.

TimTaylor751647545500

As the car sits now:

119k miles

runs well

new 5-way adjustable suspension

soon-to-be new over sized brakes

new wheels/tires

22 mpg city/hwy combined = 325-350 miles per tank (requires premium)

pretty good sound system (all JL Audio)

no payment

new windshield

new Interstate battery

The Bad:

New suspension still doesn't provide the comfy ride I'm looking for (I'm getting old)

some rust issues that will need addressed sooner than later

requires premium (not really that much of an issue)

needs to have tune-up (moderately complicated procedure on this car)

does not have the towing capabilities I'm going to need in the near future

I will need to buy a new winter setup as my current setup will not clear the upgraded brakes

In summary:

It's a good car, but as I'm getting older I'm finding that it's a car that I can't see myself driving into the ground. Once all the latest repairs/changes are completed, the car will be worth more that day then any day that follows (best time to sell).

Looking at a newer used Jeep Grand Cherokee with a tow package as well as the 4.7L V8 for towing as it's replacement. Prices on these are really cheap right now. Nearly all funds from the selling of the Maxima will go towards the Jeep, so new payment will be ~$200/month (Maxima payment was twice that when I had one)

Buying a new Jeep in today's climate will certainly yield a good deal, however not having a car payment is even better.

IMO, just make sure you're good to make any outlay on something that isn't necessarily a need vs want.

I don't see prices of Jeeps and SUV's rebounding and if anything will continue to drop as the public and manufacturers move away from them.

Sorry to sound like your dad.

I don't know, my sister has a 2000 jeep grand cherokee, 4wd/v8 and averages 11mpg mixed, are you willing to take on a car payment and pay double in gas? Also, it doesn't ride that well, I mean its soft and comfy, but its squirmy/shifty, which is a tendency of the full time 4wd jeeps.

We had a 2008 Ford Edge for about a year, it was super nice, rode great, averaged 19mpg mixed driving and could tow 3500lbs, which I would think the jeep couldn't tow much more. Downside is the edge is newer/more costly and fwd/v6, but i think its leagues ahead of the jeeps in terms of handling/ride quality.

What exactly do you need to tow soon, that will open the options for a tow vehicle up if we know how much it weighs.

Oh I agree, I just didn't realize you could get one for under $200/month now, but like I said,not fond of jeeps so I haven't been following.

And you got 25mpg with a 4wd/v8 jeep, i'm calling bs....

Time for something else it sounds like. You are getting into the "danger zone" when bigger expenses crop up on you. If it's not comfortable, or getting the mileage you want then it's time.

Ask your self is it cheaper to maintain this car monthly, or is it cheaper to have a car payment on a new car that really just needs maintenance here and there monthly? That will answer your question.

Please post it on here if you do decide to sell, I know someone who may or may not be interested. He is a maxima person.

+1. if you dont owe on it, i'd keep it and pick up something to tow shit around with...ive been kicking around the idea of getting a small boat i can take to hoover/alum, but my issue is no vehicle to tow it with, so while looking at boats for sale, im also looking for cheap trucks to pull it on the weekend

• 2 weeks later...
Time for something else it sounds like. You are getting into the "danger zone" when bigger expenses crop up on you. If it's not comfortable, or getting the mileage you want then it's time.

Ask your self is it cheaper to maintain this car monthly, or is it cheaper to have a car payment on a new car that really just needs maintenance here and there monthly? That will answer your question.

Please post it on here if you do decide to sell, I know someone who may or may not be interested. He is a maxima person.

Indeed. The gas mileage hasn't changed hardly at all in the 6+ years I've had the car. Still averages between 21-22 mpg mixed. I'll be sure to get in touch with you so you can inform the interested party. Have they seen the car?

You could get something more comfortable - and - it could be waaay faster.

"Faster" isn't really a priority for me when it comes to buying a DD.

keep it or sell it to me for DIRT CHEAP.

So I could continue to work on it even after I sold it to you....for DIRT CHEAP? Na.

Sell it.

Talked me into it.

Fix it up/revert to stock, keep it as a daily, and buy a fast weekend toy?

Well, it's already my DD and I just bought Veritas' bike to turn into a fun weekend little toy.

+1. if you don't owe on it, i'd keep it and pick up something to tow shit around with.

This idea has crossed my mind on a number of occasions, but after thinking about it quite a bit, I think moving on is really what I'm looking to do at this point.

BAN!

Indeed