Question about E.T.s & trap speeds

Tripleskate

Okay well, I made a new "best" pass : 16.3 @ 87mph (don't laugh, I know I'm teh suck) My friend laughed at my attempt and bragged that he could go quicker than me "easily". He makes his pass in my car, 15.9 @ 82mph. :mad: He says that I "shift slow" can someone explain why I trap faster but he can cross the 1320 quicker? (My 60ft. was a tenth quicker, and my R/T killed his :p) Sorry, I lost the timeslips..

being the same car, likely on the same night means there were no new modifications.

A faster ET will result in a slower MPH.

Also, reaction time does not count in the 1/4 mile time.

I know, I just put that in there to make myself feel better, LOL!

*double post.*

He gets going much faster than you through the first 2 or 3 gears.

It would appear that you do indeed shift slowly or are not shifting at the right RPM.

I would say likely both. Find the sweet spot in the RPM's to shift and keep the car in it's power band. On the MS3, since the computer caps boost at 5800 rpm, I shift no later than 6k even though it redlines higher. The result is a significantly better ET. I shift fast, but I wont' abuse the car just to gain a few ticks off the clock. Just not worth it to me.

Not sure if you are even pulling enough torque to spin the wheels, but in my case, if I am not careful and spin in the first couple gears, the trap speeds will be noticablly higher, but I'm back to low 14's in ET.

Why does everyone say if you spin your trap speed is higher? Everytime I spin and have a shitty 60' my et and trap speed both suffer. If your spinning the car is acceratering as quickly, so I would think that would hurt trap speed not help it.

Guest Removed
Why does everyone say if you spin your trap speed is higher? Everytime I spin and have a shitty 60' my et and trap speed both suffer. If your spinning the car is acceratering as quickly, so I would think that would hurt trap speed not help it.

that will depend mainly on power and setup..

small tire cars that need to leave softer, have this issue the most...

my buddies old nova

18 degree heads, 412 ci etc etc. running 9" slicks, rather light car with a glide!

come out tooo hard and the car would trap 140's over revving and run around 9.50's

come out soft the car would go 9.30's at high 130's!

its all about putting the power down

I would say likely both. Find the sweet spot in the RPM's to shift and keep the car in it's power band. On the MS3, since the computer caps boost at 5800 rpm, I shift no later than 6k even though it redlines higher. The result is a significantly better ET. I shift fast, but I wont' abuse the car just to gain a few ticks off the clock. Just not worth it to me.

Not sure if you are even pulling enough torque to spin the wheels, but in my case, if I am not careful and spin in the first couple gears, the trap speeds will be noticablly higher, but I'm back to low 14's in ET.

Unfortunately, when IPS dyno'd my car they used 4th gear, because it's the closest 1:1 gear but in doing so, they hit the fuel cut before redline, so I'm not sure how effective it is shifting at either 6500 or around 7000ish rpm...

And although my car is slow, I do break 'em loose with A/S tires.. Burning out when shifting into 2nd is my biggest problem... With stupid gearing, shifting at 7000rpm from 1st to 2nd, it'll land at around 3800rpm, so it's either burnout or bog... sorry if that was long winded.

OMG, thats the same as me going 1st to 3rd.

Yes my gears are poorly designed, 1st and 2nd are really tall (for a 4 banger) and 3rd, 4th and 5th are short. So I end up at 3000+rpm at freeway speeds in 5th... Shifting quickly will give a bit of spin which bumps the revs up a lil over 4000 fortunately, but still a whole lotta bog until "vtak" kicks in.

Never seen a slower 60' turn into a faster ET on a car that doesn't have traction issues once rolling. Was he power shifting and you shifting with your right foot maybe?? P.S. your sig says IBS fixed your car which sounds like a neat trick.