School me on Nintendo DS - Son's Birthday is coming up

TTQ B4U

Wife and I are out of touch...but our son is turning 6yrs old and seems to have a thing for the Nintendo DS that many of his buddies have.

Who here can school me on them? Worth it? Anyone have any games they would like to sell?

I think we'll start him with a new one and are considering Toys R Us only because they have a warranty that if he drops it they will replace it. Used it once on a Leapster and it was well worth the $14 it cost us.

Thoughts, links to good info?

I'm old :o

Thanks in advance!

There are (were?) 3 trims of Nintendo DS. The DS, DS Lite, and DS-i. I'm doing this from memory, lol.

DS: thicker, 1st gen

DS lite: better battery, better screen and more compact, 2nd gen

DS-i: Not a friggen clue, I can't see any major differences other than more interactive (i.e. upgraded chat, etc.) junk... 3rd gen

Typical games you should look up: Any Mario game is good, Pokemon (is that still "cool"?), look through the cheap game section, they usually have some gems in there. Hope that helps.

Guest Removed

my 9 year old has one...1st gen i think.

i like it cause i can buy him like 5 or 6 or more used gameboy advanced games for it before touching the price of a new ds game..and some of them are rather hard for me to to even play! have to use the little wand thing and ...well hell i dont even play ps2 or 3 anymore. to busy with work...

The DS-i is the newest. It adds a camera and some other mist stuff.

Honestly, for the $ get a DS Lite and an Acekard 2 unless you are opposed to DLing games.

Yeah, the DS Lite appears to be the best value. Especially since the DS-i is more geared for an older age range. Again, my son is only 6.

Not apposed to DL'ing at all. I'll have to look into this Acekard.

Point me to any Download links / sites that are good and safe.

Thanks!

My wife has one.....It keeps her busy on long car rides and things. She has a pink lite,mario and sonic games are all she like to play though...suduko too. Amazon.com is a good place for stuff like that.

get the lite, nothing to gain from the i except a camera, and the lite can play those cheap used GBadvance games too.

I've got an R4 card for the wife's, works great, she loves the NY times crossword and brain age, but he may need a few years before those

My wife has one.....It keeps her busy on long car rides and things. She has a pink lite' date='mario and sonic games are all she like to play though...suduko too. Amazon.com is a good place for stuff like that.[/quote']

Not his wife, but this is what my DS does for me.

(it has since been sidelined since i got my iphone though)

I love the thing. Truely i do. I still take it with us, for when i am bored with my iphone.

ds-i also has wi-fi

so does the DS Lite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_Lite

Capable of receiving Wi-Fi signals from other Nintendo DS Lite systems, the original Nintendo DS, Nintendo's Wii, and Wi-Fi access points. WEP encrypted and unencrypted networks are supported. WPA encryption is not supported.

I prefer the Acekard since it supports SDHC. Most of the recent R4DS cards are fakes.

LMK what games you want, I have a few. I can mail you a disk full of em.

I wouldn't mind getting together to learn more about Acekard and getting the games off the net, etc....haven't had a chance to review it much but perhaps tonight I'll do some surfing.

Buy the cheapest one you can. We have 4 ds' floating around here somewhere, and probably 100 games. . They get sucked into the vacuum, you find them in the couch. we bought all our kids one the day they came out(ds not ds1) and they didnt play them after a week. My one son has a psp that he likes better but it doesnt work and I dont think he would play it if it did. Buy a good used ds.

funny you should post this up. My son will be 6 at the end of june and this is the only thing he's asked for. A DS with pokemon. I'm sure we'll get it for him but I have to say I'm very leary about starting him on video games. I'll regulate it heavily for a while. I don't want him to become a veggie that sits around playing video games all the time. I know not everyone does that but some do.