20 most expensive new cars to insure...

Trouble Maker

... and stereotypes of their owners and why the insurance is so expensive. Funny stuff, i <3 jalopnik.

http://jalopnik.com/5280414/20-most-expensive-cars-to-insure-for-2009/gallery

Sample

http://cache-foo.jalopnik.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/06/504x_20_most_expensive_insurace_jalopnik_20_01.jpg

1. Nissan GT-R

Price: $79,090

Cost To Insure: $2,533

Curb Weight: 3814 lbs

Engine Displacement: 3.8 liter turbo V6

HP: 480

TQ: 430

Top Speed: 193

Driver Stereotype: Gran Turismo-playing, web 2.0, dot com'er

Jalopnik Insurance Cost Analysis: Massive damage and the loss of hundreds of GT-Rs have occurred when owners realized they could not in fact ride the walls around turns, drive through other cars or reset the game.

I finally saw one of those BMW X6's on the road, and damn they look.. dare I say.. bad ass in person. too bad they are heavier/slower and more expensive than the X5 if I recall correctly.

You mean the BMW Aztek?

Yet now due to an a joke artice on the internet it has swayed you from doing so?

Are you in therapy? If not, get there. Your life could depend on it!

I don't think the insurance cost are a joke on there, and I think that's what he is referencing.

I finally saw one of those BMW X6's on the road, and damn they look.. dare I say.. bad ass in person. too bad they are heavier/slower and more expensive than the X5 if I recall correctly.

Then just wait for the X6M to come out. :cool:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/08/new-york-bmw-pulls-sheet-off-x6-m/

4. Ford Shelby GT500

Price: $43,125

Cost To Insure: $2,186

Curb Weight: 3920 lbs

Engine Displacement: 5.4 liter supercharged V8

HP: 500

TQ: 480

Top Speed: n/a

Driver Stereotype: Redneck with lottery money

That is not even close to what I pay!

I pay $70 a month which comes to $840 a year. The yearly rate would be cheaper if I wanted to pay for it yearly! If I remember correctly it was just a lil under $800 to pay for it yearly.

I pay $70 a month which comes to $840 a year. The yearly rate would be cheaper if I wanted to pay for it yearly! If I remember correctly it was just a lil under $800 to pay for it yearly.

There's no way that's full coverage full time, and that's true for probably any car and any person. Are you on some special plan, like a weekend only, stated value or collectible car w/limited miles per year?

I don't doubt those are real numbers for the average person, and you can compare them to one another mostly too (all other things being equal, those are the prices in comparison to each other and are the most expensive for any new car you can buy). Obviously every person is going to have different insurance rates.

"$500 beater" I guess I should have stated any car that's worth a shit to insure. There's no way anyone is getting full coverage full time on a $50k car for $800 per year. Especially not one with 500hp.

My talon at liability plus my s4 at full coverage was only $80, so yes, it's more than plausible. I was obviously overstating the situation a little bit. Still $100 is $1200/year and $80 is $960/year. Not really that close to $800/year when you talk about %'s

"$500 beater" I guess I should have stated any car that's worth a shit to insure. There's no way anyone is getting full coverage full time on a $50k car for $800 per year. Especially not one with 500hp.

My talon at liability plus my s4 at full coverage was only $80, so yes, it's more than plausible. I was obviously overstating the situation a little bit. Still $100 is $1200/year and $80 is $960/year. Not really that close to $800/year when you talk about %'s

I work for an insurance company so I just ran a quote for myself on a 2010 BMW M3. I didn't order any underwriting reports so this will be the highest quote for me since it put me in the worst class.

Coverage Limit 2010 BMW M3

Liability 100/300 $94.41

Property damage 500 $78.16

Uninsured Motorist 100/300 $27.20

Medical Payments 5000 $8.23

Comprehensive Varies Per Vehicle $103.58

250 Ded

Collision Varies Per Vehicle $304.53

250 Ded

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your 6 month premium for each vehicle is:** $616.11

There's no way that's full coverage full time, and that's true for probably any car and any person. Are you on some special plan, like a weekend only, stated value or collectible car w/limited miles per year?

I don't doubt those are real numbers for the average person, and you can compare them to one another mostly too (all other things being equal, those are the prices in comparison to each other and are the most expensive for any new car you can buy). Obviously every person is going to have different insurance rates.

I just pulled out my policy!

Ok, I have 3 cars and this one is listed as a pleasure vehicle. not more than 7500 miles per year! (I knew that) I have had the car for 2 yr and only have 6000 miles on it, so that is not a problem!

Not really sure how statefarm works but I have been with them for quite some time now. And everytime I call and ask a question, they look at the policy on the GT500 and the girl on the phone kinda pauses on the phone for a min and then says, Wow you have a really nice policy here. We don't even sell anything like that anymore. Hang on to that policy! I have a bunch of discounts on that policy!

A.bodily injury propery damage liability

each person/each accident

$100,000 / $300,000

limits of liability-Coverage A-Property Damage

Each Accident

$100,000

C.Medical Payments

Each person

$25,000

D. Comprehensive

G500. $500 Deductible Collision

H. Emergency Road Service

R1. Car rental/Travel Expenses

Limits of liability - Car rental Expense

Each day Each Occurrence

$25 $600

U. Uninsured Motor Vehicle

Limits of liability-U

each person, each accident

$100,000 - $300,000

As you can see it is far from MIN. Coverage.

4. Ford Shelby GT500

Price: $43,125

Cost To Insure: $2,186

Curb Weight: 3920 lbs

Engine Displacement: 5.4 liter supercharged V8

HP: 500

TQ: 480

Top Speed: n/a

Driver Stereotype: Redneck with lottery money

That is not even close to what I pay!

its all about shopping around. everywhere on the internet tells me i should pay 300-400 a month but i'm actually paying $100 a month for both cars.