How stupid is Columbus?

LJ

I know this is old news, but after seeing the mess this morning... damn!

Why would they close up 315 like that? I say it's poor planning by Columbus.

Here is a list of the ramp closures just as a reminder

These exit ramps are closed:

S. R. 315 NB – King Avenue exit/Medical Center Drive

S. R. 315 NB – Ackerman exit

These entrance ramps are closed:

S. R. 315 SB – Olentangy River Road (near North Broadway)

S. R. 315 SB – North Broadway from West North Broadway

S. R. 315 SB – Ackerman Road

S. R. 315 SB – Lane Avenue

S. R. 315 SB – 12th Street (from OSU Medical Center)

S. R. 315 NB – Goodale Boulevard (across from White Castle)

S. R. 315 NB – Olentangy River Road (Lennox Town Center)

S. R. 315 SB and NB – Lane Avenue

http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/article/315_coverage/16556/

BTW, these ramps will still be closed for the first 5 OSU games, including USC.

Campus traffic was already horrible this morning, the first day. Everyone doing the recommended "using 71 as an alternate" is making 71 nearly useless. The next alternate route will high street, which is paved with around 50/50 asphalt and steel plates...I foresee cars abandoned on the freeway in gridlock for the USC game.

Campus traffic was already horrible this morning, the first day. Everyone doing the recommended "using 71 as an alternate" is making 71 nearly useless. The next alternate route will high street, which is paved with around 50/50 asphalt and steel plates...I foresee cars abandoned on the freeway in gridlock for the USC game.

Probably. My gf is a vet student at OSU and I told her that she probably won't be staying at my place any night that she needs to get into the vet hospital early. Hell, I am even changing my route on how to get to her place. 670 W to 315 N will be useless. She could always take 5th ave all the way to neil then up to the med center and cut up to the vet hospital, but I wonder how many other people on the east side will want to do that.

Ill be staying on campus the nite before the udc game, and I gotz ticketz bitches! Weeeeeeee, oh btw fuck columbus road construction.

Me too, compadre. I gotz my tickets and I live on Lane. That day will be the only day living on campus will have an advantage over traffic. Maybe I'll set up a lemonade stand out front :)

It is wonderful I can't get to bethel road in a timely fashion. First they tore up one way on henderson and high going towards 315. So I would just go down north broadway and get on 315 on olentangy. Now I can't do that? WTF

While I'll admit it sucks, but I really dont see a better time to do it.

when school is out there is so much less traffic on 315. Summer is the best time, even if its not a good time. The world doesn't revolve around peoples ability to get to football games.

A better TIME? TIME you're worried about? It hardly matters what TIME they decide to completely close all exits on a major 6-lane freeway!

You do it in short stretches, one or two exits at a time.

But we should be used to this by now, Columbus Street dept and ODOT have proven time and again that they are run by complete incompetents. The simple fact that they are going to shut down the 70/71 splits without upgrading the Sought side of 270 first should prove that. I mean, hell, 270 can barely handle the traffic it already carries down there...

The root of this stupidity is the lack of a REAL public transit system. Next time its on the ballot guys, vote for it. Seriously.

This.

i was always completely baffled by the timing of closing major commuter routes in columbus. Sawmill at the 270 exit would be closed for construction at 530 pm on a friday at LEAST once a year... and that was an intersection where the line to get off the highway would be at least a mile long without construction.

A better TIME? TIME you're worried about? It hardly matters what TIME they decide to completely close all exits on a major 6-lane freeway!

You do it in short stretches, one or two exits at a time.

But we should be used to this by now, Columbus Street dept and ODOT have proven time and again that they are run by complete incompetents. The simple fact that they are going to shut down the 70/71 splits without upgrading the Sought side of 270 first should prove that. I mean, hell, 270 can barely handle the traffic it already carries down there...

Exactly, it's ridiculous. You would think with them closing so many exits, that the plan would be to have some opened back up in time for Football season or at the least, when classes start back up, but obviously logic isn't used.

i don't understand how MA manages to keep their traffic flowing with 365 days of nonstop construction in constantly changing places, but then i realized its cuz they don't shit down entire parts of the road to everyone for extended periods of time. its an idiotic way to do construction.

Ill be staying on campus the nite before the udc game, and I gotz ticketz bitches! Weeeeeeee, oh btw fuck columbus road construction.

this looks like paul typed it with a spell checker, well for paul spell checker not everyone else in the world.

I take riverside dr south to lane on game days, never took longer than 25 minutes from where I am (Usual commute is 15-20). But yeah columbus and OSU especially are getting really ridiculous with their construction, I'm glad to be leaving now before it gets too bad

The exit from 670 to 315N is supposedly going to be closed for 120 days! And I've heard that another one of the closings is scheduled for 364 days! (yes, 364, not 365 or 1 year).

I've always been surprised at the road construction around here. It seems like they have no problems just closing a road. It would take a LOT for the DPW to close even a neighborhood road in MA. They'd stagger their work so there was always at least one lane through, and a State Trooper is MANDATED to be on-site whenever road construction is being done. (Though they usually sat in their car drinking coffee and collecting triple-time.) But if traffic was an issue at all, they were out and directing to keep traffic flowing.