Financing car builds

BlackC50

Just curious, I have had my car for the past 6 or 7 years and there are A LOT of things I want to do it but never really have the money. How do some of you finance or find the funds to build some of the cars you do? If you feel comfortable talking about it of course.

Whats the details of the project?

The first thing I do is get a game plan of the priorities that need to happen and figure out what that is gonna cost. From there you can work on the not so necessary things that make it more fun.

I buy a couple things at a time. After nickel and diming and throwing stuff together I've learned that if you have to say "Fuck it, I'll fix or change it later" you're not doing it right and chances are you won't go back and redo it. Take your time and do it the way you want. It may take longer, but the final product will be worth the wait.

I guess my biggest issue is that I am impatient as hell!!!! I guess it comes with age. I was just curious cause I know a lot of guys/gals put a lot of time, blood, sweat, and tears into their vehicles and wanted to see how most if not all fund their projects. Definitely sucks right now since I am not working as much as have at this point in the year as a few years past.

I work a second job that makes for long ass days and I do it on days off and some nights. I pay cash for everything done to the car and any extras I want. Last year I wanted to build a 7.1 home theater system. So, I worked a few 17 hour days.

If you sleep 8 hours a day, you still have 112 hours that week to do a lot of things.

I sleep 4-6 hours a night. Long days to get paid aren't that bad.

Who cares? It's just a car, you should have money saved up for the rest of your life and don't worry about going fast in a car. Later in life it'll make things easier and you'll have money to do this.

I work a second job that makes for long ass days and I do it on days off and some nights. I pay cash for everything done to the car and any extras I want. Last year I wanted to build a 7.1 home theater system. So, I worked a few 17 hour days.

If you sleep 8 hours a day, you still have 112 hours that week to do a lot of things.

I sleep 4-6 hours a night. Long days to get paid aren't that bad.

Damn son.

Anyway I sell children off of Mount Vernon Avenue to anyone with enough cash.

I work 2 jobs one for the state of ohio and one just a part time job to help out my girlfriends brothers lawncare business. I always save my money , I am pretty good with saving and spending. I am in 26 have great credit both my cars are paid off, and never had a credit card in my life. anything that deals with cars I will pay in cash and its done and over with then. IT is so stupid to put car parts onto a credit card, makes no sense at all. I would rather borrow money from a friend then use a credit card and have to pay them scum bags back.

since it sounds like you already have the project car, and others have already told you how they pay for their projects, let me add this tidbit.

MAKE A PLAN FOR THE CAR AND STICK TO IT! You'll never get it done, and you'll spend twice as much money as intended if you just go thru each little step on the car as it comes up and you say "well, I could do this now while I'm in here." It'll drive you broke in no-time and you'll spend you entire budget to only see the car sitting there.

You can physically write it down or sit in front of your computer and type it out, doesn't matter, but it needs to be done. Sit down and first develop an idea for the car as a whole. Once you think you have an idea of how you'd like that to go, then you can look at specific components and develop how you think you'll actually make the car become what you want it to (drivetrain, interior, suspension, brakes). THEN...and this is the important step...put together a realistic idea on what it will cost to do what you just laid out. You can't lie to yourself and say you're going to buy a LS1 running longblock with ECU and T-56 for $1000. Once your budget is done if it's too much (say your idea for the whole car was to be done for $12K and you just spent $9K of your budget on the motor) you may need to go back and rethink some steps/parts/priorities.

Once you have that plan laid out, manage to it. You might have to skip on upgrading to roller rockers so that you can get the disk conversion for the rear etc. Without a plan like this that's how many projects end up never being finished, they're in project car purgatory. The other upside to working toward the plan is that it'll help you with the issue of wanting to be done right now. You'll be able to check off parts of the plan and track your progress.

• Upvote 1

it's all about priorities and managing your money when i bought the vette i was still working part time and it took most of my paycheck, now that i'm full time my bills are 50% of what i bring home and i don't want it to get any higher then that. research everything and don't buy untill you can afford every piece needed to complete a mod.

BBK Headers, BBK o/r x-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back, k&n intake, Throttle Body, 75 Wet Shot of Nitrous with Safe Tune.

Drive Train:

Eaton 31 Spline LSD, Moser 31 Spline Axles, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear

Suspension:

J&E upper and lower control arms, Tubular K member, Tubular Control Arms, Granatelli Front Coil over Springs, BBK Rear Springs, Strange Adjustable Shocks and Struts

and I will be running M/T swicks....