hello!

frenchy chan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in reference to cars that are not moving have you ever taken a better picture with the flash then without? i havn't ISO fstop and shutter speed are all you need.

how do you keep the reflectors from showing up and the flash out of the paint or windows?

Yes. It all depends on how you set up the photo. I rarely use a bare flash. Umbrella, soft boxes and diffusers all come into play.

Key that you're forgetting is that lighting doesn't always and rarely needs to fall directly on the car.

I'll dig up a couple shots later tonight to show you what I mean. If you want to really get into it, look into shooting through umbrellas. You'll need a couple light stands, umbrellas, flash holders, AlienBees units & remote triggers. If you splurge; pocket wizards.

Decent packages range from $350-$1,800. I have about $1k in lighting in my basement and can photograph just about anything that will fit in the room quite well. It's all portable, but I don't shoot still cars often to warrant keeping it up stairs.

Yes. It all depends on how you set up the photo. I rarely use a bare flash. Umbrella, soft boxes and diffusers all come into play.

Key that you're forgetting is that lighting doesn't always and rarely needs to fall directly on the car.

I'll dig up a couple shots later tonight to show you what I mean. If you want to really get into it, look into shooting through umbrellas. You'll need a couple light stands, umbrellas, flash holders, AlienBees units & remote triggers. If you splurge; pocket wizards.

Decent packages range from $350-$1,800. I have about $1k in lighting in my basement and can photograph just about anything that will fit in the room quite well. It's all portable, but I don't shoot still cars often to warrant keeping it up stairs.

see i'm talking about taking photos with a camera not a studio i throw my camera in the trunk and if i wanna take a pic i get it out and take a pic i don't wanna set up a studio to take a picture. the pic in my sig was taken with a pocket camera (sd1000) at dark.

see i'm talking about taking photos with a camera not a studio i throw my camera in the trunk and if i wanna take a pic i get it out and take a pic i don't wanna set up a studio to take a picture. the pic in my sig was taken with a pocket camera (sd1000) at dark.

I agree, I'd rather take photos with a camera vs a studio :D

While your sig pic is nice, it's simply a pic of a car on the street overlayed with scattered reflections of the lights present. However you said "NO good pics use a flash." I tend to disagree. Controlled lighting is much more even and can be purposely placed at any angle. It also allows you to pic just about any location.

The first pic shows a set up showing two strobes driven by a portable power pack. Personally, I like using them better than flash units.

The second photo is with one off camera flash and umbrella.

The third images is with two off camera flash units and umbrellas.

I too just simply throw my camera and umbrellas in my hatch and can set it all up in about 5 minutes.

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/pdqgp/strobe-set-up.jpg

Edited by TTQ B4U

I agree, I'd rather take photos with a camera vs a studio :D

While your sig pic is nice, it's simply a pic of a car on the street overlayed with scattered reflections of the lights present. However you said "NO good pics use a flash." I tend to disagree. Controlled lighting is much more even and can be purposely placed at any angle. It also allows you to pic just about any location.

The first pic shows a set up showing two strobes driven by a portable power pack. Personally, I like using them better than flash units.

The second photo is with one off camera flash and umbrella.

The third images is with two off camera flash units and umbrellas.

I too just simply throw my camera and umbrellas in my hatch and can set it all up in about 5 minutes.

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/pdqgp/strobe-set-up.jpg

my sig pic was taken with a pocket camera that i balanced with my hand.

I have yet to take pics on my car with my D50.