New Minivan FTW.

zeitgeist57

My parents bought a Kia Sedona this past week, and just stopped down yesterday to visit and give me their old 2005 Dodge Caravan. Yes, they gave it to me FREE. :D

Now, it's newer but definitely used. It's got 110k miles on it, and has had a rebuilt transmission and new PCM in the last year, along with a few other things. The drivers' power window motor doesn't work, and there is a surprising amount of rust on the underbody (Cleveland winters FTL). Oh yeah...it's got a nice dent in the drivers door, and dings elsewhere. However, the interior is nice, it runs like a top, and the paint still shines like new.

I need to replace the shocks and struts (they're paying for the parts) but overall the van really rides nicely. Between Cleetus, my lowered Corvette, and my wife's lowered Passat, this puppy floats like a Cadillac :lol:. It's obviously got plenty of room, and I am very surprised at how inexpensive some parts are for this thing (like the struts and window motor).

For the fact that it's FREE and really in great shape, I'm pleased as punch. Being a minivan doesn't make me feel any less of a man, as I am already compensating for my tiny wang with my truck and Corvette. :) Not many mods planned for this thing aside from a K&N filter and a nicer set of rolling stock...I've already de-badged the rear trunk lid. Any idea if the Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300 wheel bolt pattern is the same as this thing?

Pics to come later.

They wanted an Odyssey...I "educated" them on a more valuable option. They got everything but the DVD player...in their 60's, who cares?

I'm happy enuff with the 3.3L, Tim. :) It's got too many miles on it to do anything other than highway duty.

Guest Removed
Hey, I'd take a free minivan ...

and set it on fire.

Kidding, I always rent them for snowboard trips. So roomy.

the way you keep poppin out kids your going to need a mini van

I hope they bought a new sedona, the 2002 to 2005 where not very good in the frontal crash testing. The occupant space crushed very easily. After 2005 they got a little better.

I hope they bought a new sedona, the 2002 to 2005 where not very good in the frontal crash testing. The occupant space crushed very easily. After 2005 they got a little better.

They bought an '08 with 9k miles...ex-demo. I told them when they got interested in the Sedona/Entourage to stay away from anything before 2006.

They bought an '08 with 9k miles...ex-demo. I told them when they got interested in the Sedona/Entourage to stay away from anything before 2006.

Us too. Ours is an 07 we bought with 4,000 miles. Excellent 5 star rating from all sides. In fact it's the best rating of any Minivan, even the new Chryslers.

We compared the Honda too as we had an 03 Oddy. Not even a second thought once I did the complete side-by-side. Japan may still sell quite a few, but IMO, the Koreans nailed with one. We're happy as can be.

I am doing an accident reconstruction certification. We reviewed the Kia products before 2006, that was some scary stuff. I would not suggest any one ride in or buy one before the 2006 model year.

5 star rating can be deceptive. For example the Smart car has a 5 star rating but those are deadly little cars. A good friend of mine bought one of the smart cars, I will not get in it. The star rating does not account for the occupant delta V that occurs. For example the Smart car has a 5 star safety rating. They got that because they made the occupant cage very rigid. Due to the short frontal section of the Smart, it has virtually no ride down, therefore you absorb the crash not the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJHpUO-S0i8

On the opposite end of the scale the 2002 Sedona has an occupant cage that is very weak. Notice how the roof line deforms in the video. When that happens the potential for injury increases dramatically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmoqWvM4Qlg

Compare the 2002 to the 2006. notice the occupant cage does not deform. Thankfully Kia fixed that issue.

When you look at the 5 Star system, take it with a grain of salt. 5 stars does not mean it is safe.

3.3 ftw no timing belt to change and my old one went 405k before I sold it my current is pushing 160k also trouble free other than general maint items

It is the 3.3, non Flex-Fuel...not that I'd sip that hippy-juice E85 anyway :). Why no timing belt? Gear drive, or chain? That's good news regardless.

I just put a K&N filter in it today, and it surprised me how much peppier it got (paper filter was nearly new before). My wife is pissed at the ride, but rockauto.com won't get me new Sensa-Trac's until after our road trip to NY this coming weekend. :(

Tim, my parents are happy as can be with the van. It needed a new O2 sensor when they bought it for some reason, but they have the balance of the 100k warranty so it was fixed without problem.

It is the 3.3, non Flex-Fuel...not that I'd sip that hippy-juice E85 anyway :). Why no timing belt? Gear drive, or chain? That's good news regardless.

I just put a K&N filter in it today, and it surprised me how much peppier it got (paper filter was nearly new before). My wife is pissed at the ride, but rockauto.com won't get me new Sensa-Trac's until after our road trip to NY this coming weekend. :(

its a chain mine is flex fuel runs like fucking shit on e85 one tankfull was enough to convince me not to try it again.

count on it needing new shocks and struts every 50k

Funny you mention that...

I just replaced the rear shocks in about 2 seconds...one of the easiest jobs ever. Front struts are disgusting...you can grab the strut body and just wiggle it around with your hand. I was going to replace them also, but ran late and didn't want to use pneumatic tools to replace the struts...wakey wakey my old neighbors. Will do the struts tomorrow.

Also, replaced front pads (squeaky and cheap) with Raybestos advance technology whatever...HOLY COW that made a difference. http://www.rockauto.com FTMFW.

Dave, if I can I'll stop by Thursday for an alignment...