School Me On Boats, I Might Wanna Buy One...

Wease

I might head up and look at this boat this weekend. That looks really nice... :nod:

That looks pretty sweet. Power wise, that's about as big as I'd ever want to go on an Alpha 1 (my 4-banger has the same outdrive), but if it is still in good working condition, then I wouldn't be too concerned. The interior doesn't look super 80's which is a plus.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My $.02. You will not be happy with a 4cyl. Anyone who is into fast cars will not get a thrill out of 35-40 mph WOT in a boat. That was my only regret; I could have gotten into a V8 for ~$500 more than I spent on a I4.

A V8 at half throttle is probably more efficient than a 4 banger a WOT all day.

That looks pretty sweet. Power wise, that's about as big as I'd ever want to go on an Alpha 1 (my 4-banger has the same outdrive), but if it is still in good working condition, then I wouldn't be too concerned. The interior doesn't look super 80's which is a plus.

Well if you see it in my yard Saturday night, you'll know that I bought it... :)

Well, I bought the boat. Was in great shape, better than I expected. One small soft spot in the floor, but nothing crazy. Very well maintained and the guy was a boat mechanic. He didn't even tell me that over the phone. Ran great, looks great, so much has been updated on it, so I really hope it won't give me any problems. I'll post up pics tomorrow, will probably take it out for the first time next weekend... :)

Well, I bought the boat. Was in great shape, better than I expected. One small soft spot in the floor, but nothing crazy. Very well maintained and the guy was a boat mechanic. He didn't even tell me that over the phone. Ran great, looks great, so much has been updated on it, so I really hope it won't give me any problems. I'll post up pics tomorrow, will probably take it out for the first time next weekend... :)

Saw it last evening when coming home...you need to get a cover for it!

You gotta invite me over to take a look at the new toy. :) We'll probably be taking mine out this afternoon; you 2 are welcome to come along if you aren't busy.

Here are the pics, 1989 Arriva with the 5.0L Mercruiser:

http://wease.net/Boat/Boat1.JPG

http://wease.net/Boat/Boat2.JPG

http://wease.net/Boat/Boat3.JPG

http://wease.net/Boat/Boat4.JPG

http://wease.net/Boat/Boat5.JPG

http://wease.net/Boat/Boat6.JPG

http://wease.net/Boat/Boat7.JPG

http://wease.net/Boat/Boat8.JPG

Please ignore my mulch bag wheel chocks, I didn't have anything else around, but they'll work for now... :lol:

Saw it last evening when coming home...you need to get a cover for it!

You gotta invite me over to take a look at the new toy. :) We'll probably be taking mine out this afternoon; you 2 are welcome to come along if you aren't busy.

I have a cover for it, it just wasn't on when you saw it. It's on now. I'll call you this week when I'm around, you can come over and see it then. I was way too busy today to go boating, sorry. I hope to get it out next Sunday for the first time... :)

You should take the boat out some day this week...usually better for a first time boat owner to try boating during the week when it is less busy, especially at the boat ramp when you are trying to learn the trailer.

Sadly, my trailer broke yesterday. One of the support beams broke in the center; going to have to finish wiring the electric to Tim's new TIG welder and fix it this week.

Looks very nice! I boated for many years & retain fond memories of days on the water with my family - Here's .02 more cents (not that you haven't heard enough already)?

* keep a good base of wax on her, especially the bottom of the hull, it helps keep the algae off WHICH LOOKS LIKE SHIT & WILL SLOW YOUR BOAT DOWN

* buy a spare prop & store in the boat, nothing worse than hitting bottom in error & having prop all mangled, out of balance, & not working &&&& you're miles from land?

* boat insurance is really cheap, they'll pay for hull damage etc (BUY IT)

* someone posted earlier that you should take her out on a week day to get used to launching / they're CORRECT. Also always remember when launching = first establish your routine for launching & stick with it, second always have a line attached to boat with other end in your HAND, you'll never lose the boat regardless of conditions on the water / & NEVER EVER try to launch in a hurry. You may want to practice backing up with the trailer too?

* store some tools in your boat, just basic stuff ie wrenches, screw driver, hammer (if you get mad at it)

Happy Boating!

Looks very nice! I boated for many years & retain fond memories of days on the water with my family - Here's .02 more cents (not that you haven't heard enough already)?

* keep a good base of wax on her, especially the bottom of the hull, it helps keep the algae off WHICH LOOKS LIKE SHIT & WILL SLOW YOUR BOAT DOWN

* buy a spare prop & store in the boat, nothing worse than hitting bottom in error & having prop all mangled, out of balance, & not working &&&& you're miles from land?

* someone posted earlier that you should take her out on a week day to get used to launching / they're CORRECT. Also always remember when launching = first establish your routine for launching & stick with it, second always have a line attached to boat with other end in your HAND, you'll never lose the boat regardless of conditions on the water / & NEVER EVER try to launch in a hurry. You may want to practice backing up with the trailer too?

* store some tools in your boat, just basic stuff ie wrenches, screw driver, hammer (if you get mad at it)

Happy Boating!

Great advice, thanks. I actually bought the insurance last night. $200 for the whole year is well worth it to me. :)

Joe, you are correct, I should take it out this week after work. I'll let you know when and you can come with me if you like... :nod:

Great advice, thanks. I actually bought the insurance last night. $200 for the whole year is well worth it to me. :)

Joe, you are correct, I should take it out this week after work. I'll let you know when and you can come with me if you like... :nod:

Just give me a call, I should be available most of this week.

Also, check this website out:

http://www.piranha.com/

I have been running this prop for about a year and a half now...a MUST have. Performs better than an aluminum prop, and 3 blades are cheaper than getting an aluminum prop repaired (and they are never the same when you have them repaired either). Much easier to store the blades on the boat than a full prop.

Initial cost over a new prop to get going with 3 blades and the hub kit will be $30-50 more, but I easily saved that money back already, and wish I had done it years ago. Lots of shallow spots in Ohio!

I think CR needs a section just for us boaters. Now that we are getting a whole lot more people on here with watercraft it might provide a place for people to ask boat only questions that they would just ask anywhere else in the forum. It would prob open up the doors to allow people to learn quite a bit.

sooo you shoudl bring this out on thursday for our boat night. im sure between the 10+ people that go out we can help out. an have fun with us.

nitrous bird same thing bring that boat out

I may once I get the trailer fixed...I'm willing to go to Alum during a week day. Probably do some tubing, as I haven't got to yet this year.

I may once I get the trailer fixed...I'm willing to go to Alum during a week day. Probably do some tubing, as I haven't got to yet this year.

I dont know how many tubes your boat will pull or if you would be interested but I always have a tube in my truck. Right now I have a brand new obrien double tube still in the box sitting in there. We just havent made it out to the gf's yet to tube on it but if you come and want more than one out there I should have one.

Waxing the bottom will slow you down more than a clean, unwaxed bottom (hydrophylic vs hydrophobic).

And insurance is the way to go, look into agreed value policies, and most offer a 15% reduction in rates when you take the coast guard course.

• 1 month later...