Need some advise with household electric

XChris1632X

I moved my compressor and I need to hook up 220 in my barn. The barn has electric going to it but no 220. I can decide whether to go to home depot and get the stuff to give it a shot or just call someone to come do it. I know I need 220 breaker for the box and I need some wire and everything needed to complete a plug. I wired my compressor to use a plug so that way I can unplug it and plug in a welder.

Any tips? Anyone know how much it would cost to have someone come out and do it?

I wired my compressor to use a plug so that way I can unplug it and plug in a welder.

Any tips? Anyone know how much it would cost to have someone come out and do it?

The plug you use needs to be a plug made for 220. If you wired a plug that looks like the outlets in your house then you need to remove that plug and wire a new one. They sell 220 rated plugs at Home Depot or Lowe's, and it's something you can do yourself (If you already know this, then this info is for people reading this who do not).

A licensed electrician needs to wire the 220 in your garage. They will be aware of all the local codes, and the codes are in place for a reason. You may be able to find an out of work electrician someplace (craigslist?) who can do it on a budget. Good luck.

Good Thought Scott...

I would run a small box in the barn incase you want to expand any part later. Though Im sure the 120 thats in there now could probably handle a little more load. Is it just running lights right now?

Its pretty simple to just do it your self. Are you burying the wire? Make sure you use copper and not aluminum wire.