Sherriff pointed his finger at me?

Buck531

My son and I were driving down Steltzer and was turning onto Morse crossing around 11 today. I was probably going 45ish? I dunno. normal speed there. I see way up in the distance a car flashes their brights at me. Uhh.. ok.

Then as I come closer and I'm stopped waiting to make my left turn, he drives by and points his finger at me. WTF? I know I wasn't speeding, but I guess 5-8 mph over the speed limit is bad.

It wasn't raining so he can't be complaining about having my lights on. I do have daytime running lights though?

Can cops clock you speeding if you are driving towards each other?

Any radar gun is capable of detecting speed while in motion. A radar gun calculates the speed an obect is moving relative to the gun, so, if the gun is standing still, the speed registered will be the actual speed of the object.

Radar guns that are BUILT IN to police cars are wired to the spedometer so that they know how fast that car, and therefore the gun, are moving. When the officer uses the gun to guage the speed of your vehicle, he presses a button on the radar gun indicating whether you were moving towards him or away from him.

If you are moving towards him, the devices subtracts the police car's speed from the speed it read on the radar, giving an accurate reading of your speed.

If you are moving away from him, the device adds the car's speed to come up the correct speed.

Laser guns work in the same manner. So yes, a cop can shoot radar in almost any direction while driving. The downside however, is that it is a lot more difficult to aim the radar while moving, so most officers will only use this technique on the highway or in situations where they can be sure of which car they are actually clocking.

In speed traps, cops will still use the "sit and shoot" method in order to be sure of the vehicle they have targeted.

Hope this helps...

Man, same shit happened to me when I got my car running at first. I was giving my buddy a ride and let her rip down Parsons Avenue. I know the cop didn't see me, he only heard me and as soon as I pulled into my buddie's shop the cop flashed his lights and wagged the finger at me. Boy was I lucky he didn't pull in.

Guest tbutera2112
I got lucky? Fuck that, I was barely going over the limit. He must have had a hard on for Regals or something. what a bag of douche.

you were 8mph over, he did not pull you over even though he saw you....how is he a douchebag?

you were 8mph over, he did not pull you over even though he saw you....how is he a douchebag?

Maybe I wasn't going the speed limit. I've been in Gahanna for 10 years and have always went 5-10 miles over the speed limit and never got looked at twice. Never have been running around here like a lot of the little kiddies do.

Why don't you cry a little fucking louder. "The bad man pointed at me!!!"

Piss off. Go find some poker game somewhere.

Any radar gun is capable of detecting speed while in motion. A radar gun calculates the speed an obect is moving relative to the gun, so, if the gun is standing still, the speed registered will be the actual speed of the object.

Radar guns that are BUILT IN to police cars are wired to the spedometer so that they know how fast that car, and therefore the gun, are moving. When the officer uses the gun to guage the speed of your vehicle, he presses a button on the radar gun indicating whether you were moving towards him or away from him.

If you are moving towards him, the devices subtracts the police car's speed from the speed it read on the radar, giving an accurate reading of your speed.

If you are moving away from him, the device adds the car's speed to come up the correct speed.

Laser guns work in the same manner. So yes, a cop can shoot radar in almost any direction while driving. The downside however, is that it is a lot more difficult to aim the radar while moving, so most officers will only use this technique on the highway or in situations where they can be sure of which car they are actually clocking.

In speed traps, cops will still use the "sit and shoot" method in order to be sure of the vehicle they have targeted.

Hope this helps...

I thought they could only use laser guns while sitting still?

When the officer uses the gun to guage the speed of your vehicle, he presses a button on the radar gun indicating whether you were moving towards him or away from him.

I don't understand this. The basis of the way detecting speed by radar (or laser, or anything) works should inherently mean they don't have to do this.

MAXIMUM SPEED 35 = 45? The maximum is the fastest you are supposed to be going. 1 mph over is breaking the law. That's simple, right? If you get pulled over for going over the speed limit, it is because you were going faster than the maximum.

If you don't stop at a stop sign, that is illegal too.

Guest tbutera2112
I'm with Shawn. 8 MPH over? Give me a fucking break. I know many cops and they all tell me they won't even bother unless you are going more than 15 over... :rolleyes:

did i miss the part where he got pulled over or got a ticket?

I'm with Shawn. 8 MPH over? Give me a fucking break. I know many cops and they all tell me they won't even bother unless you are going more than 15 over... :rolleyes:

Thanks Sean/Shawn/Shaun/Shawniqua (whatever how they spell your name these days lol).

I probably wasn't even speeding. The reasoning of this post is why did he flick his brights at me? I mean. If I was speeding, fine, pull me over. If I wasn't, great. I really wasn't going an abnormally fast rate of speed on Steltzer. The same speed everyone else dooes.shrug

I was wondering "else" could he pull me over for? I know the new laws kicked in about the lights being on when it's raining and using your wipers and so on.

Thanks Antwon. That cleared it up for me. Maybe I was speeding slightly. Who knows.

All I know is i'm pretty drunk and I'm drinking a beer with my two new friends. Vicodin and Vicodin. Say hi! :D