Boat oxidation question

wnaplay1647545503

I am unfortunate enough to have an older boat which has bold colors on the hull. What is it that brings the oxidation back so quickly? I had it buffed out last year and it sat partially covering the areas with a cover. It was never placed in the water after buffing. Both areas, those under cover and those not, had oxidation re-appear in a very short time. Why is this and is there anything shy of repainting to correct this? I know of a boat specialty product but it is expensive and it needs to be reapplyed every so often. Its sort of a last resort.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont use car wax, use boat wax...and lots of it!

Heres one half way through the process...

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs146.snc1/5412_101667226511889_100000058377679_47813_6380995_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs126.snc1/5412_101667366511875_100000058377679_47822_3669718_n.jpg

Oh if you want your boat cleared get ahold of us this winter. Two are coming already, one just cleared, one painted and cleared.

Edit...

Finished Product

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs126.snc1/5412_101740889837856_100000058377679_49715_573730_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs126.snc1/5412_101740896504522_100000058377679_49717_6200251_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=47814&id=100000058377679

Edited by Clifford Automotive

:confused:

TREATING AND REMOVING BOAT BLISTERS THE EASY WAY

Spotting blisters on an unpainted hull is usually obvious. But when the bottom is camouflaged with multiple layers of paint and marine growth, a less labor-intensive approach is needed. Unlike sanding or corrosive chemicals, SodaBlasting boats removes old coats of antifoulant and blisters quickly, without damaging non-blistered, bare gelcoat, and then properly prepares the surface for repair—all in one operation.

Blisters are most often caused by osmotic intrusion of water into the hull. As water molecules enter the hull, they pick up acids and other chemicals that alter their composition and size, making the molecules larger and trapping them inside. Since these molecules are unable to find their way out, pressure builds up and forces the gelcoat to separate from the fiberglass, forming a blister. If the blister breaks while immersed, it allows for greater water intrusion into the fiberglass laminate, and perpetrates the blistering process to deeper levels.

Traditional blister repair involves grinding, sanding or sandblasting the hull. This process is time-consuming, labor intensive and, unless extreme care is taken, can result in severe or permanent damage to the gelcoat and fiberglass laminate. SodaBlast Systems, LLC of Houston, Texas, provides a fast, effective and controlled alternative to these conventional methods.

In the SodaBlasting process, a non-destructive stream of air-driven, specially formulated baking soda under high pressure is first used to strip the antifoulant paint and open the blister. Then, to prepare the surface for repair and repainting, the affected area around the blister is feathered by split-second, swirled "micro-blasting." This finishes the surface in preparation for repair. The entire process can be accomplished in 1/10 the time as traditional techniques, resulting in a properly prepared surface that is ready for blister repair and painting.

SodaBlasting Boats is also environmentally friendly, a major concern for repair yards and marinas. Minimal plastic tenting installed around the work area contains the soda and old paint for proper disposal.

SodaBlasting is conducted through a network of specially trained, independent Preferred Contractors who bring their mobile equipment directly to the site. They install the plastic tenting around the boat, perform the SodaBlasting and then wrap up the paint and other residue for disposal.

The actual SodaBlasting step only takes a few hours and, depending on the size of the boat, the entire process can be completed in a day or less.

http://www.sodablastboats.com/

In a nutshell, you remove the scum and paint from the outer surface without damaging the GelCoat of the hull.

Just what I tell my customers, it has to be re-applied. Its not an all time fix. Consider it "wax" on a car. Its not a one time application.

When they tell you it has to be re-applied, that doesnt mean, thats all you can put on the boat now. You can wax overtop of it with no ill side effect. When you decide you dont want to use it anymore, you use the Vertglas stripper.

I will be ordering 10 kits to get started for winter.

Or wrap it :D

Hehe ;)

You can have it soda blasted and it will take it down to bare material without damaging the fiberglass.

Nope. Been there, tried that.

Vertiglas is the shit...

Im thinking Im going to stock up on it for the winter. We are going to start pushing boat restoration pretty hard toward the end of the season.

Tom, your going to have to help me put that door in my building I was talking about.

No problem, should be fun. And I have a pretty good hookup on Vertglass.

Vertglas is a last minute resort. Once used you must keep re-using it.

Um, no.

Wrong, Vertglas is a hull conditioner and can be stripped.

I think for what your trying to achieve this may be the best option for you.

And if you need to re-apply, its not necessary to buy a whole kit. You just buy more sealer.

Yep, or use a medium polish and then wax, but I don't know why you would ever want to go back to having to wax it every couple weeks.

If it were me, I'd end up using meguiars M105, followed by M205. They work excellent on most automotive paints, and I've used them together on a fiberglass truck cap before. Takes a bit of work though, since its two seperate steps, then a wax afterwards.