Why we need health care reform

thorne

If you realy want to fix healthcare eliminate the health insurance plans for everyone. That will reduce the fees down to what you pay at the vets office for the same procedure. I will give you an example. My son stuck a peanut up his nose when he was about 1 year old. $2500 later the nut was removed. I ask a friend of min that is a vet how much it would be to remove the same nut from my dogs nose.... $75-150! The difference is artificial inflation of the third party carriers.

This is the first time in a while I've agreed with you. Mark that shit down.

It's funny the vet I take my dog to is known for being low cost. They take great care of my dogs they know them by name when they come in. Everytime I've had a problem they've fixed it.

I think one thing everyone can agree on is the shit is not right atm.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know it is statistically harder to become a Vet than it is an M.D.?

Everyone I know in Vet School's (a lot of people) backup plan was to go to Med school.

I had to quote this for its greatness.

Vasectomy=500-1k dollars

Spay or Neuter=50-125

Both forms of population control that are not excercised enough

Me still not going to let a vet cut my sack though.

Every person I hear bitch about not wanting to pay for someone else is 1 major incident away from changing there tone.

that may be true, but what happens to each of us in the event of a major incident shouldn't ride on the shoulders of everyone else to cover.

my brother battled cancer for 12 years, went through his $3M cap on his policy but in the end, family took care of him until the day he died.

besides, it's not the average middle class person in a car wreck that I bitch about. it's the guy down the street who is 50lbs over weight, on disability laying around doing nothing as they collect all the handouts they qualify to receive and using them for Play Stations, beer and smokes. This country has tens-of-thousands of those vs for every middle income family that's victim of an unfortunate incident.

put it this way, when no one is providing handouts and they are homeless and hungry, they will either get up and help themselves or die. either way, I'm good with the outcome there. such is the way of life.

assistance is one thing, but hand-outs are another.

Word, but why is the price so different in cost? I would imagine insurance is to blame.

Because the perceived value of life of a dog is much less than that of a human.

Why wouldnt your auto insurance cover your medical bills?

Auto Insurance companies are a joke. After the shit I have been thru in the past two years in regards to auto insurance companies. I dont even understand why we fucking have them. I would be better off financially if I had paid for all my expenses out of pocket rather then try and rely on "Insurance" companies to handle something they said they were going to take care of.

I wonder what it cost have done in other countries, like what does it cost the healthcare system?

Our healthcare system is horribly complicated. The actual coverage and such isn't broken, it's the excessive expenses by drug and insurance companies that drive up costs in a circular pattern. The U.S. is the only country that allows pharmaceutical advertising. Plus, health insurance sells itself. Research has shown that Pharma companies spend more on advertisement than they do on R&D.

Word, but why is the price so different in cost? I would imagine insurance is to blame.

That and the fact that most people value their own nuts 10x over their dogs. Me included :D

Edit....LJ covered it. Pays to read all posts then go quote:o

Our healthcare system is horribly complicated. The actual coverage and such isn't broken, it's the excessive expenses by drug and insurance companies that drive up costs in a circular pattern. The U.S. is the only country that allows pharmaceutical advertising. Plus, health insurance sells itself. Research has shown that Pharma companies spend more on advertisement than they do on R&D.

I knew this, thats why generic drugs are so cheap. i want to know is what does it cost the canadian goverment for someone to have a vesectomy?

I knew this, thats why generic drugs are so cheap. i want to know is what does it cost the canadian goverment for someone to have a vesectomy?

Were an American to undergo a vasectomy in Canada expected fees range from $CAN 400 to $CAN 600 (approximately $USA 320 - $570, depending upon currency fluctuations).

http://www.vasectomymedical.com/vasectomy-cost.html

Vet's also have the longest payoff period for student loans out of the 3 major professional degrees (J.D., M.D. DVM). The average cost for a Vet Student at OSU is ~$200,000 (in state)

And people flock to take cujo to them and spend tons of CASH! They have low malpractice rates. Being a vet can be a cash cow!

And people flock to take cujo to them and spend tons of CASH! They have low malpractice rates. Being a vet can be a cash cow!

Not really. If they have the longest payoff time, how do you make the assumption that it is a cash cow? Especially since Columbus is the most saturated region in the country when it comes to vets.

Not really. If they have the longest payoff time, how do you make the assumption that it is a cash cow? Especially since Columbus is the most saturated region in the country when it comes to vets.

And where do you get this info from?

And where do you get this info from?

OSU School of Veterinarian Medicine. My gf is a 4th year DVM student there and a close family friend is a Prof/Vet there. Not to mention the numerous vets I know from over the years growing up on a large horse farm.

OSU School of Veterinarian Medicine. My gf is a 4th year DVM student there and a close family friend is a Prof/Vet there. Not to mention the numerous vets I know from over the years growing up on a large horse farm.

So no actual stats?

Litterally too...no insurance co.'s to deal with is nice. They leave that for me to deal with. All I do is pay after services are rendered.

So no actual stats?

She has the actual stats. I have seen them. It is given to them in their career prep class when they are transitioning between classes and clinics. They titled it "Realities of Your Profession".

I do have this though

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_money_does_a_veterinarian_earn

Generally a veterinarian earns a good income. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics says that the mean salary for a veterinarian is about $75,000. (http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_29he.htm)

M.D.'s make much more on average

The average doctors salary is $150,000 for a general doctor, $163,000 for a psychiatrist and $255,000 for a general surgeon.

Cost for Vet School ~$200,000 Source- the probably 50 vet students I know

Cost of Med School

* $139,517 – According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, the average educational debt of indebted graduates of the class of 2007. The average debt of graduating medical students increased in 2007 by 6.9 percent over the previous year.

* 75.5 percent of graduates have debt of at least $100,000

* 87.6 percent of graduating medical students carry outstanding loans

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/about-ama/our-people/member-groups-sections/medical-student-section/advocacy-policy/medical-student-debt.shtml

Litterally too...no insurance co.'s to deal with is nice. They leave that for me to deal with. All I do is pay after services are rendered.

That is the way insurance used to work. Even if we stopped doctors from accepting assignment of benefits that would help the cost tremendously. People would shop for the lowest cost. I hear people say all the time " id dont care what it cost if the insurance pays for it". If the docs got paid upfront office staffs could be smaller, we would not have to wait weeks if not months to get paid and prices will drop. At one time I employed two people to do nothing but file insurance, that was about 50K per year added to my overhead. :mad:

Edited by HAOLE

Your fucking stoned. Hospitals will not make payment arrangements when you start talking about procedures that cost 10 of thosands of dollars.

I love how you quickly take the high and mighty route. I hope you have something major come up that does not kill you but you see what its like to relize Fuck man there is no way I could afford this.

With no insurance I could not afford my medical bills. I'm sorry you think I'm not managing my money right but your full of shit.

Were the only major country who does not have a universal healthcare and we don't have the best so WTF IS WRONG???

How about you take your smug and shove it up your ass sideways for me.

not stoned, havn't smoked in quite a few years now.

excuse me, i mispoke, you can set up monthly payments with the doc.

no high and mightyness here, just logical thought. "the greater good" isn't a logical way to live, so i don't support it in the least.

do you have major injuries every year? multiple amputations or something? think about it for a second, you pay your insurance monthly and they cover you when you see the doc. what if you never have a hospital visit in the entire year? they are holding onto that entire year of cash waiting for you to fuck your self up or what have you. opening a savings account, and you can do the same thing! the only thing insurance is doing is managing your money for you. some people can't help but spend the money, so they hand it to the insurance company who wont let them spend it.

obviously it's the major issues where the insurance really makes a difference(and takes a MAJOR loss too).

so? because everyone else has universal healthcare means it's the best? should we start adopting kings and queens again too? england drives on the left side of the road, it must be the better system! to say one form of government, healthcare, economic system, etc. is better than any other is just illogical. it's impossible to determine the "best" since they all have such complex and lengthy pros and cons.

no smugness here, just logic.

no thanks, my ass is an exit only.

Sorry, As an American it is not a right to have cheap healthcare. And i'm sorry but if my wife or myself have something seriously wrong it's our responcability to make sure we have enough coverage for our needs.

Seriously, what does the government touch (other than the military) that doesn't turn to shit.

Who here can look me in the eye and say that they trust that the feds are doing what is best with our tax money? if you say yes your an idiot or a liar. If you say no . . . if you can't trust the Gov. with your money you are going to trust them to choose if you are well enough to get a surgery or to let you die because you are only expected to live X or years.

My aunt got her hips replaced at 91, Under the proposed system they MIGHT hook her up with pain meds till she dies, Maybe she can survive a couple years high and not knowing what is going on because a surgery is not a priority. She's almost 95 and acts like a 19 year old . . .with a walker LOL.

Healthcare isn't a right, it's a resoncability. Paying for shit on the backs of the rich people/buisnesses only gives them more reason to pack up thier stuff and roll out of here.