2003 Mercury Mountaineer AWD help

Lustalbert

4.6L, AWD, 94,xxx miles on it, it is making a most interesting noise.

Background: Vehicle is at a used car lot, I have a friend intrested in purchasing it, she asked me to test drive it with her. During light acceleration, it makes a sound that reminds me of a noisy fan, and it is intermitent. At 35 MPH, it comes and goes, when you give it power it will make the noise again, for a few seconds, than stop for a second, then come and go as it pleases every few seconds. it is acceleration dependant.

Also, at idle, it sounds like a diesel. Not sure if this is a common issue with this engine, or if I should be looking at a cracked flexplate/broken flexplate bolt/rod bearings/other.

Thanks

like loose timing chains? or loud lifters?

Could be. As I am searching this, I am finding some mention of timing chains with other people.

Also some crap about a trasmission solonoid.

They are asking 8999 for it.

More info on the 02 you where offered? there seems to be alot on the 02 ones having jacked transmissions.

Definately not a wheel bearing, it is making the noise at idle when not moving.

The stealership got back to her, they are saying it is the cly heads, carbon buildup on the exhaust valves, 2k for new heads and valvetrain, plus labor.

Rob, what is your price on a set of heads installed on this?

Might see if they are willing to come down on price a considerable amount.

Definately not a wheel bearing, it is making the noise at idle when not moving.

The stealership got back to her, they are saying it is the cly heads, carbon buildup on the exhaust valves, 2k for new heads and valvetrain, plus labor.

Rob, what is your price on a set of heads installed on this?

Might see if they are willing to come down on price a considerable amount.

Huh, why not just walk away?

She likes the vehicle. If she can get them down to 3 or 4 k on it, then have someone do the heads for 2k, then that is only 5-6k total.

If they wont come that low, then she will walk away from it.

Seems most AWD ones that are fully optioned are still going for 10K+, so total price is still a win for her.

Huh, why not just walk away?

+1. $9k for a 7 year old SUV w/ nearly 100k miles doesn't really make any sense. Then add the fact that there is an obvious issue with it, spells headache down the road to me.

Guest Removed
+1. $9k for a 7 year old SUV w/ nearly 100k miles doesn't really make any sense. Then add the fact that there is an obvious issue with it, spells headache down the road to me.

most techs call them exploders for a reason. even after spending 2k on fixing it, it will break more, and then after that something else will go wrong.