Jeep people, cherokee questions

Bam

We're looking for a cherokee, not sure on the year but less than $5k, and 4 door.

Anyways, came across this and wanted some opinions. Seems like a good price for the miles and looks to be in good condition.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1340599303.html

We are going to try and test drive it this weekend, what should we look for/listen for?

Also, can I tow a waverunner or two with it? What about a motorcycle or small boat?

Thanks

Sweet, but its wishful thinking to think it'll pull my rx7 right? LOL

Negative captain. Ull be maxing it out with a trailor

Oh, and can you offroad a stock one? LOL, i dont want to raise it and put big loud tires on the wifes daily, but it'd be fun to be able to take some backroads once in a blue moon

Yes it'll be fun for small stuff ha

Looks pretty good for the year and mileage. Later model 4.0L had a problem with the exhaust manifold leaking. You of course will hear it if it has a hole in it. Check for leaks. Pay attention to leaks around the oil filter (oil filter neck O ring leak), rear main seal (oil down back of engine) and around the oil pan. Take it for a test drive and take it up to highway speeds (55-75 mph). Any vibration is normally a sign of the notorious Death Wable which can can happen with out a lift and can be a pain to figure out the bad part.

It says it has 4x4, but check to see which transfercase. To figure out which one it is it is as simple as looking at the 4x4 selector. The NP231 (2wd-4wd Hi-N-4wd Low) is the strongest transfer case but since it is full time locked 4x4, you can not use it on paved roads unless they are very snow covered. The NP242 (2wd-Part time 4wd-4wd Hi-N-4wd L) is a little weeker, but you can put it in Part time 4wd and the front will lock in if you loose traction in the rear. This one you can use on dry roads.

As for towing, with a Class III, you can only tow 5,000lbs. Oh and for light train rides, you should be fine, but you will need to lift or trim alot of your fenders if you want anything bigger than a 29" tire.

I have owned quite a few Jeeps in the past few years and have learned alot about things to look for. Let me know if you have any other questions. Plus there are tons of good forums and websites.

that year had issues with the head cracking plus the front axel has a low pinion angle (less Ideal for offroad). ONly other thing to remember is gas mileage, it will suck the Jeep hasa 20 gallon tank and will get about 350 miles per tank and thats with mostly highway driving. That being said I love my Jeep and wouldn't trade it for the world. Best year to get is a 99 has older style head, updated intake manifold, high pionop angle for the front axel and IIRC its the frist year they went to a distributorless ignition.

Oh, and can you offroad a stock one? LOL, i dont want to raise it and put big loud tires on the wifes daily, but it'd be fun to be able to take some backroads once in a blue moon

you could put a 2 in budget boost on it with a spring spacer up front and a shackle or add a leaf in the rear and put a 30 inch tire on it and would still ride quiet.

Honestly a 4in suspension lift will maybe clear a 32" tire if you're lucky. Personally, I wouldn't try to push the car towing thing with a Cherokee Sport, but that's me.

Yeah, it was a joke about the towing thing. I checked edmunds and its only rated at 2000lbs, not sure why. My dad's got a suburban I can use to tow when needed, just would be nice not to have to borrow a tow rig.

I really don't think I want to put a 4" lift on it, or even a 2" lift, but the spring spacer doesn't sound too bad, I think a friend did that on his 99 grand jeep cherokee for a small lift, he said it was cheap.

Realistically I'm worried about it tipping over or feeling too top heavy, but we'll see.

That and we have two young girls, 2yrs/4yrs and they will be riding around in it a lot so I want something that is comfortable/safe and that they can climb in, lol.

Thanks guys, the price didn't sound bad at all, but I did find a few more others in the price range and even cheaper with some more miles.

Like a 2001 w/ 120k on it for $2800, could probably get it for $2500, is it worth saving $1000 to get one with 40k more miles on it?

I really don't think I want to put a 4" lift on it, or even a 2" lift, but the spring spacer doesn't sound too bad, I think a friend did that on his 99 grand jeep cherokee for a small lift, he said it was cheap.

The suspension on the Grand Cherokee is completely different than the Cherokee. Spacer kits on a Cherokee is not recommended for a lift. If you want a cheap 2" lift, there are many people that do a budget boost using front shocks from a F150 and rear leafs from a S10 or Dakota.

here is a 01 cherokee with a 2 inch lift with stock tires

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r105/djqani/xjgtroushcamaro011.jpg

3 inch with 31s

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm86/NIN20/DSCN0685.jpg

Cheapest place to get a 3 inch lift with is rustys

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RK-300SP-XJ&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

Kit cost $438 plus shipping.

or if you want to go high dollar

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/SuspensionSystems/Product.aspx?part=RE6025

figure anywhere from $750 to $1000 depending on the shocks you get.

with both kits a SYE is recommended which will run about $300

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/JeepParts/Product.aspx?part=RE1811

or you can do a hack and tap. for $100

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/JeepParts/Product.aspx?part=RE1807

or for $50 or less you can do a tcase drop

or like blood said you can build your lift with a bastard pack and f150 front springs and a set of JK rubicon take off shocks for cheap. Just need to take the time to build it.

How about 4.5" majorly cut to fit 33's? ;) Daily driven too.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/D94R/Moab%20June%202009/Hells%20Revenge%20Day%201/6-09Moab206.jpg

Mines a 2000 Sport as well, and just rolled 100,000 miles. Things to look for that I've found so far:

Front and rear main seal (they all leak, eventually)

Oil pan and valve cover gasket

Oil filter adapter o-rings

Electrical issues with wires under dash (dash will lose all power)

Head known to crack (but this is only a problem with like .02% of the heads out there)

Exhaust manifold known to crack

Radiator hoses

AC compressor locked up

Power steering pump ate itself

mostly cracked exhuast manifolds on the 4.0 its sheetmetal so you can get it welded when it goes or dorman/motormite makes a new one

don't buy one if your interested in any kind of gas mileage my 2wd never did better than 14 with a brand new motor and almost all highway driving

mostly cracked exhuast manifolds on the 4.0 its sheetmetal so you can get it welded when it goes or dorman/motormite makes a new one

don't buy one if your interested in any kind of gas mileage my 2wd never did better than 14 with a brand new motor and almost all highway driving

Really? Mine is getting a consistent 16.7 mpg. 33's with 4.56's put it close to stock final drive ratio, and completely stock I was getting 17mpg. And that is 90% driving at around 35mph. Highway (on the way to Moab) it will get about 19.

Skinner, how do you like yours for daily use and hauling the boys around?

Doubt I'd ever lift it....

love it and so do the boys, they like the ability to put there ares out the windows. From what most people say that there Jeeps ride better/smoother after lifts.