Boating peeps...starting to research getting a different boat - help

Nitrousbird

I have a 1989 17' (well, 16'9") Sea Ray. Open Bow, 3.0L Mercrusier, Alpha 1 outdrive. I bought it back in 2000, and sunk my fair share of money into it (well, wouldn't have been much until the motor let go, then put a new crate motor in it). She runs great, but we have outgrown her in both size and use. If things line up correctly, we are thinking of a new boat next spring.

By new, I mean used. My wife wants an open bow, noticably bigger than our current boat, and a toilet.

I want a WAKEBOARD BOAT (20' or bigger). V-drive, tower, ballast tanks...a real wakeboard boat. I drool over them...a 42' Baja doing 80 MPH on the water doesn't impress me like a nice X-Star, Malibu LSV, etc.

Our budget will likely be 20k. I can get into a mid 2000's I-drive w/ a tower for that, but neither she or I want an I-drive. V-drive, I can get into an early 2000 for around that if looking hard; likely a Moomba, Geeko, or a local Malibu as most of the local wakeboard boats are Malibus. Maybe a 2000-2001 Tige or Centurion if I look as well (I will be willing to travel far to get a boat). Natiques and Mastercrafts are too much at that age.

But what can I get with a place for her to take a leak? It will be her money in the boat as well, and this is something she is pretty firm on (some days she likes just laying in the boat and not going on shore or in the water to use the restroom). Sure, toilets on a closed bow boat are a dime a dozen - open bow is much harder, and really hard to find on a wakeboard boat (X-80 is the only one I know that has it, but that's over 100k new, 28', dual motor bad-ass monster I can't come close to affording).

My other choice was finding a standard I/O open bow, and tossing on an aftermarket tower and ballast tanks. It won't perform as well, but I will have a lot more selection, and regular I/O boats depreciate a LOT more than a wakeboard boat, so I could get into more boat for the money. I could likely find one with a damn toilet in it too, lol.

Any boat suggestions? We won't consider a closed bow boat (I've been on plenty). V8 and EFI are a must, though anything worth buying 2000+ will have that anyway. I am really looking for model suggestions to start my researching.

keep you eyes out for bank repos. As far as a toilet, there are always the portable ones you can tuck into a storage compartment. Heres one I have been watching.

http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp?pg=DispSingleItem&ItemNumber=15423

And theres always the bassroom

http://coveryourbass.com/product.html

Hmmm, never seen the Bassroom, but I assumed something like that was out there. Not sure if the wife would be convinced to just buy that. It's her money too, and she doesn't give a shit about wakeboarding (likes to watch, but that's about it).

I found the X-55 also comes with a head, but the price is not dis-similar from the X-80. :(

I know that Supra, even in the described condition, would got for the mid 30k range on E-bay.

Bid on it. I have found the way to get the best deals is to look when your ready to buy and be ready to buy when you look. Move fast and have cash gets the best deals. Good luck. We always carried a small portable toilet in our boats except for the beater we have here in ohio. Its kinda weird when someone must use it when theres a bunch of us on board but it usually goes down while everyone is is swimming. When we head down to my parents place on dale hallow we pass maybe 20 different boat dealers and there are great deals to be had closer to a lake if your looking to spend the kind of money you are. Cheaper boats go real fast but alot of people move down there get tired of there boats and then try to sell the. They dont realize the original people down there or poor and out of work. They cannot afford those kind of prices.

Only a few of the 90's Natiques are V-drives (I think only the Super Sport), and seem to be pricey for a mid-90's boat (they used that hull for a long time, which is probably why they kept their value). I'd personally rather go 2000 or newer.

I'm not in the market yet, but should hopefully be next spring.

Haha ok.....I think IF you can get her to sign off on it just get a porta pot and store it on the boat somewhere. Being a guy I don't see the big deal with pissing in the water but she's a woman ;)

You both want two different boats, you do a lot of watersports so a wakboard boat would be best for you. If you get a boat that is bigger and has a potty on it then you will sacrifice your watersporting activites no doubt about it.

My dad's got a 1997 Malibu Sunsetter LX he bought new and has been talking about upgrading...not sure what drive it is or how much he'd be looking for, but like I said he's the only owner and its mint, he takes care of his shit. If at all interested feel free to PM me and I can get more info. I'm also 99% sure its a v8 and efi.

We have done everything from it growing up, wakeboarding, barefeet, skiing, tubing, etc. He has a boom and a tower I know, and many extras, but like I said I'm not sure of specifics.

My dad's got a 1997 Malibu Sunsetter LX he bought new and has been talking about upgrading...not sure what drive it is or how much he'd be looking for, but like I said he's the only owner and its mint, he takes care of his shit. If at all interested feel free to PM me and I can get more info. I'm also 99% sure its a v8 and efi.

We have done everything from it growing up, wakeboarding, barefeet, skiing, tubing, etc. He has a boom and a tower I know, and many extras, but like I said I'm not sure of specifics.

The drive is easy:

If the motor is in the back of the boat, it is a V-drive.

If you have to walk around the motor, it is an I-drive.

That Sunsetter is very likely an I-drive.

I dunno how you feel about jet drive boats joe but I picked mine up for a steal at 22k. Its an 06 20' speedster, had 10 hours on it. You can buy all the racks and ski tower for it and make it what you want. It doesnt have a toilet but I honestly think you wont use that as much as you think.

I dunno how you feel about jet drive boats joe but I picked mine up for a steal at 22k. Its an 06 20' speedster, had 10 hours on it. You can buy all the racks and ski tower for it and make it what you want. It doesnt have a toilet but I honestly think you wont use that as much as you think.

I'm mixed on Jet Boats. SeaDoo offers their version of a wakeboard boat...twin engine, tower, 1000lb balast tank, perfect pass...I mean, if it were a V-drive, it would be a real wakeboard boat. Funny thing is, Sea Doo's wakeboard boat costs the same new as a REAL wakeboard boat (and their own literature states the wake isn't as good as a V-drive), yet charge the same money.

That said, a Jet-Boat is still a consideration, but I think the lack of V8 rumble won't please me. :(

I'm mixed on Jet Boats. SeaDoo offers their version of a wakeboard boat...twin engine, tower, 1000lb balast tank, perfect pass...I mean, if it were a V-drive, it would be a real wakeboard boat. Funny thing is, Sea Doo's wakeboard boat costs the same new as a REAL wakeboard boat (and their own literature states the wake isn't as good as a V-drive), yet charge the same money.

That said, a Jet-Boat is still a consideration, but I think the lack of V8 rumble won't please me. :(

You must not have heard his boat without the Airboxes on...............:bangbang:

People turn there heads like there are jet motorsin that bitch.

Im going the Yamaha or seadoo route next year and attaching a tower to it, Nothing fancy lookin to spend 5k so it will be a late 90's or early 2k jet boat with some sacks on the back.

The drive is easy:

If the motor is in the back of the boat, it is a V-drive.

If you have to walk around the motor, it is an I-drive.

That Sunsetter is very likely an I-drive.

To get technical if you have to walk around the motor it is most common refered to as direct drive or D-drive.

I have been on a ton of wakeboard and ski boats. Any of those two boats will always be an inboard boat otherwise well it is just a play boat that people ski from. My buddies 99 Malibu response is a great boat but its a ski boat. Without the wedge on the back it has NO wake to it. With the wedge he has plenty to do inverts. The problem then is the hull design because when you get outside on it really hard the boat wants to pull over from the tower. But that is all on a boat made for skis. Still far better than your I/O boat. All of the ski/wake boats are different hulls. Todays I/O are meant to slice through the water where ski boats lay on top and wake boats plow it. Mastercrafts are much more affordable then you think I have been looking forever but its all about looking in the right places. I though I would never find one in my price range but did easily. Now I am just waiting for the right time. Check this place out. They have a lot of good deals come and go.

http://www.texascars.net/web/inventory?custom_field=13&custom_field_value=51

The Supra is a good deal and the X7 with perfect pass is a bad ass deal. The only thing about the X7 is it is more of a cross between the ski and board type boat that does it all. That is why I finally said no to this boat. The wake is not as agressive as an X Star would be but still designed towards the same hull. I saw an 04 Centurion that was LOADED on there go for 21k and 300hrs. I also saw on 04 wakesetter that was loaded go for 24k and 480hrs.

I found a shit load of decent ones too for less than 20k but not what I am looking for. As for the toliet just get something portable is what I would say. Or if you want to really make her happy I am sure I know of a marina that would do one custom but who would want to put that in their wakeboat? Let me know if you have any question regarding any of the boats or their hulls and how they feel. I have studied and rode a shitload.

Granted I dont have that v8 rumble but I made a custom exhaust that made my blowers almost as loud as a 03 cobra and alot of people turn their heads to look or ask me about it. It comes out of the water quick to which is good for skiing and what not. I would rule them out yet, like I said, you can pick up a lightly used one for your price. Hell I have seen a few for 15k or so.

http://www.texascars.net/web/inventory?custom_field=13&custom_field_value=51

The Supra is a good deal and the X7 with perfect pass is a bad ass deal. The only thing about the X7 is it is more of a cross between the ski and board type boat that does it all. That is why I finally said no to this boat. The wake is not as agressive as an X Star would be but still designed towards the same hull. I saw an 04 Centurion that was LOADED on there go for 21k and 300hrs. I also saw on 04 wakesetter that was loaded go for 24k and 480hrs..

I am saving that link to my favorites...some damn good deals. That Supra is a pretty good deal, and clean. X7 is an I-drive (or direct drive, whatever you want to call it), so that's out for sure.

We are going to hit some boat shows this winter to get a better idea of what we can live with and want. My wife hasn't been to one before, so I think she will feel better knowing what is really out there.

I'm not some great wakeboarder by any means; I can get a little air and do a couple surface tricks, but I enjoy it enough to justify a wakeboard boat, plus those boats seems to fit the kind of boating we like to do in general.