Why in the hell does the President want to talk to my kids?

V8 Beast

I dont want my kids exposed to anything politicial until they are old enough to 100% comprehend what is going on. The president does not need to address anything with my 7 year old daughter.. the only way she should watch him is if he has recorded a webinar where he is reading a DR. Seuss book. Stay the fuck out of my kids head... its my job to brain wash them not yours :p

/rant

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if my daughter sees the president's child address. She'll come home and we'll talk about what she saw and thought. Then I'll continue to guide her into being a free thinking young lady, and that shit like that has to be taken with a grain of salt. I think parents who don't want their kids to see the president are just sheltering their kids from the real world, and need to just communicate with their kids about what goes on.
  • Downvote 1

I don't care if my daughter sees the president's child address. She'll come home and we'll talk about what she saw and thought. Then I'll continue to guide her into being a free thinking young lady, and that shit like that has to be taken with a grain of salt. I think parents who don't want their kids to see the president are just sheltering their kids from the real world, and need to just communicate with their kids about what goes on.

Its not sheltering, its filtering. If you let your kids get exposed to things at someone elses pace then they are going to be exposed to too much too early, or not enough. Telling a 5 year old kid that the president is starting to become invisible and his PR staff said this would be a good idea will be like trying to teach them calculus.

I see this as the first step to doing exactly that.

So you are worried about what might happen, or what you think might happen?

You better take your kids out of school all together before they hear other kids talking about other stuff like religion or race at "someone else's pace."

You are essentially making an argument for homeschooling.

• Downvote 1

I have 4 kids and my opinion is that they should watch it. It is our President addressing our children! What we can vote him in to office and then tell him yeah I want you to lead our contry but I dont want my kids to hear about it. I can tell you that I remember watching presidential address's and space shuttle launches ect ect when I was in school. Everyone was made to watch them. Why should our children not be better prepared than we were to run our country eventually? I think it is good that someone is actually paying attention to our children and wants them to succeed in life. This is a pat on the back and a kick n the pants at the same time. Lets get them motivated to learn and do something positive with their lives. I think this is a good thing and I really dont know why anyone would want to shelter their children from our president.

Its not sheltering, its filtering. If you let your kids get exposed to things at someone elses pace then they are going to be exposed to too much too early, or not enough. Telling a 5 year old kid that the president is starting to become invisible and his PR staff said this would be a good idea will be like trying to teach them calculus.

Okay I agree with this but that is another reason why i don't care. The younger kids are only going to remember that the president talked to them, not what it was all about. I think my 8 year old will listen, understand, and talk to her parents about it because thats what we've taught her to do. Why try to filter out what your kids get exposed to? Shit is everywhere and she needs to know whats out there. I don't push issues onto her, but we deal with what comes along. Any type of sheltering, filtering or just plain hiding your kids from the world is wrong, I'm not saying to take them to strip clubs or other retarded shit, but showing them what goes on in the daily lives of adults is important. So not wanting them to know what the president has to say is retarded.

This all coming from someone who doesn't like this president and didn't vote for him, but we all still need to know our current events and to stay informed as to whats going on in the world. This goes for our kids too.

No.. I'm worried about them becoming like the mindless assuming adults that are cluttering this thread. By my post you all assume I'm not an Obama supporter which is 100% wrong. If he wants to address the kids do it on TV so I can sit and watch it with my kids. Dont have me hearing about it in an email after its already happened.

No.. I'm worried about them becoming like the mindless assuming adults that are cluttering this thread. By my post you all assume I'm not an Obama supporter which is 100% wrong. If he wants to address the kids do it on TV so I can sit and watch it with my kids. Dont have me hearing about it in an email after its already happened.

I think what he is doing is positive but I also think that your complaint should be with the school. If you didn't know until after it happened and the school aired it, you should talk to them about why they did not inform parents of any mandatory political viewing.

Brian the only thing mindless is "filtering" it out so you don't have the opportunity to teach your kids about it.

Shit we might as well take away everything since it is going to have such an effect on our kids. C'mon.

Lets just home school all of the children so we can program to think what we think and prevent them from drawing their own conclusions and making up their own minds.

Sheltering them is doing exactly what your trying to prevent from happening.

Brian the only thing mindless is "filtering" it out so you don't have the opportunity to teach your kids about it.

You have to filter what your kids see as adults... it our job. Its our job to try the best we can to expose them to the world at the rate they can handle it.. not at the rate that it might happen. We cant stop the curve balls, but we can prepare them for when they happen. Too many parents are eliminating that filter and as a result we have kids that are desensatised to murder, death, war etc.

Granted its more the schools fault for their slow emails, but it would have been nice to know what he was saying before it was said.

Parents that dont try to filter what their kids see/hear/do based on their comprehention level are failures as parents.. period.

Parents that dont try to filter what their kids see/hear/do based on their comprehention level are failures as parents.. period.

I just thought about something. I'm being argued with because I like to know and have a hand in what my kids are taught at all times. No wonder there is a rise in eyeliner wearing emo kids in the world. Stop hoping for the best with your kids based on what other people want for them and get your hands dirty people.

No I dont think a little message from the president will make my kids democrats (even if it was political), but I do like to know whats being shown and taught in the schools since I'm not there during that time. You continue to filter things after they happen.. I'll continue to do my best to be a proactive parent rather than a reactive one. I wish you all the best of luck with that.

You have to filter what your kids see as adults... it our job. Its our job to try the best we can to expose them to the world at the rate they can handle it.. not at the rate that it might happen. We cant stop the curve balls, but we can prepare them for when they happen. Too many parents are eliminating that filter and as a result we have kids that are desensatised to murder, death, war etc.

Granted its more the schools fault for their slow emails, but it would have been nice to know what he was saying before it was said.

Okay so I'm a failure as a parent, because my daughter gets to see whats going on? :confused: I don't think that my daughter is desesitized to anything, is she supposed to cry when she sees war and death on TV? The only real difference here is that when my daughter is an adult she won't have issues dealing with how horrible the real world is. She knows the difference between right and wrong, but also knows that the world keeps right on turning.

Just in case anybody is curious, my daughter is very social and in the 3rd grade has the equivalent of a 3.8 gpa. I was sheltered in many ways as a kid, and my wife was sheltered in other ways. Given that we have done away with the bullshit that hurt us growing up our daughter is doing better then either one of us.

Dont have me hearing about it in an email after its already happened.

Remember parents: Blame the schools, blame the president, blame everyone but yourselves!

This thing has been ALL OVER the fucking news for weeks now, and you didn't know it was going on? Way to keep up on current events to keep your child "protected."

Troll thread deserves troll response.

I just thought about something. I'm being argued with because I like to know and have a hand in what my kids are taught at all times. No wonder there is a rise in eyeliner wearing emo kids in the world. Stop hoping for the best with your kids based on what other people want for them and get your hands dirty people.

No I dont think a little message from the president will make my kids democrats (even if it was political), but I do like to know whats being shown and taught in the schools since I'm not there during that time.

and does something make you think my wife and I don't pay very close attention as to whats going on at school?

At least we agree that the parents should be involved to a much greater degree.

Remember parents: Blame the schools, blame the president, blame everyone but yourselves!

This thing has been ALL OVER the fucking news for weeks now, and you didn't know it was going on? Way to keep up on current events to keep your child "protected."

Troll thread deserves troll response.

I think I will start watching the news online since thats the only way I would ever be able to see it. I do blame the schools for a late email because it was sent late.

And Scott you are in tune with what she does. And I know for a fact you filter what she sees based on the nudy bar comment.

No I dont think a little message from the president will make my kids democrats (even if it was political), but I do like to know whats being shown and taught in the schools since I'm not there during that time. You continue to filter things after they happen.. I'll continue to do my best to be a proactive parent rather than a reactive one. I wish you all the best of luck with that.

I'm not filtering in the first place, I'm going over what has happened and having the last word. It works for us, and I hope that what you do works for your kids. Our kids can either be productive members of society, or can leach off of society. I really hope your way works, becasue I don't want to see leaches. We are all in this together.

And Scott you are in tune with what she does. And I know for a fact you filter what she sees based on the nudy bar comment

What nudy bar comment?

I'm not saying to take them to strip clubs or other retarded shit

You mean this? I guess thats filtering if you want to look at that way, but i consider that avoidance.