CTS-v Help

AngryBMW

I know that if there is a problem (under warranty), they upgrade the pre 06 cars to the new differential design (06+). Don't think there is a recall.

That's because the part number is superseded, nothing to do with TSB's or campaigns. That would only be worst case, I know that our store wouldn't want us to just order a whole diff unless it exploded.

I just searched GM Service Info and found only TSB dealing with pinion seal/diff vent leaks and clutch pack problems for '04-'08 CST-v's.

That's because the part number is superseded, nothing to do with TSB's or campaigns. That would only be worst case, I know that our store wouldn't want us to just order a whole diff unless it exploded.

I just searched GM Service Info and found only TSB dealing with pinion seal/diff vent leaks and clutch pack problems for '04-'08 CST-v's.

Yeah, I couldn't remember the details. I read up on the differential issue a while back when I was researching the early V's.

Thanks for the info.

My buddy has one and we have gone back and forth about the 2004 ish V and the early 2000 M5. With you having a 540, what is it you are looking for in a V that you will not find in an M5? The price point is about the same. If you aren't looking to mod it, why the switch from BMW?

On the V side of things. I've riden in my buddys several times now. Holy shit, what an over all fun car.

I actually forgot about the V until I passed on on Sawmill the other day. I drove one in Vegas a few years ago at some GM test thing and loved it minus the shifter. I drove another one Monday and had the same feelings. Fantastic car minus the shifter. (Can be fixed with an aftermarket kit just like the BMW)

I love the M5 as well. I am in between on them and really just don't know what to do. My 540 has served me very well and I beat the shit out of it almost every day.

Yes, it would be my daily but I would like to do some bolt-on's. I guess I am leaning slightly towards the V as it's different. I have had the 540 for 3 years now and feel that if I get into an M5 it wont have the same appeal.

I just need to find a few of each, drive them both back to back and make a decision. I dont think I will go wrong with either of them.

Thanks for all of the input, and please if there is more keep it coming!

-Marc

ashley DD's hers, we just change the tires to some all seasons with a better snow tread in the winter.

I would also DD it. No worries on the weather...I'm sure it does just fine. My BMW does now. :)

What all is done to Ashleys? Did you change the shifter to something tighter?

-Marc

the shifters are junk. they are hard to get into reverse sometimes because of it. i took out the rubber bushing and made some derlin bushings to replace it with. it helped but she really needs a shifter.

i built her a cat-back last year for x-mas, used 2 hooker areo chambers and a C6 X-pipe. i looked for a few days before i bought the mufflers and nobody has hookers on their V. its not too loud but everyone tells her how awesome it sounds. and a tune, thats all.

the shifters are junk. they are hard to get into reverse sometimes because of it. i took out the rubber bushing and made some derlin bushings to replace it with. it helped but she really needs a shifter.

i built her a cat-back last year for x-mas, used 2 hooker areo chambers and a C6 X-pipe. i looked for a few days before i bought the mufflers and nobody has hookers on their V. its not too loud but everyone tells her how awesome it sounds. and a tune, thats all.

Very cool. You may need to make another cat-back here soon. ;)

-Marc

Part of the diff issue is the design, and then the front bushing the diff, which holds the pinon angle. This bushing is garbage, and causes the pinion angle to change often under wheel hop or acceleration. BMR makes the following that I would buy if your going to get one :)

http://bmrfabrication.com/CTS-Vpage.htm

$145 is not bad, and I'm sure can be had for less.

It amazes me that you have to buy aftermarket parts to fix an engineering flaw on a company's flagship car. I take it there's no recall on this? TSB?

What about the oil consumption issues on the E39 M5? Far cheaper/easier to install the $145 BMR piece than fix that issue.

After the tune what kind of power did it put down?

-Marc

i think it has been tuned at one point or another, we only picked up 1 hp lol. 340.21hp 333.99tq.

Ashley said she would sell you hers if the price was right, she was wanting a new V lol. if your intrested PM me and i'll tell you a starting price.

x2 for the shifters being junk. I have yet to replace mine

I have a custom Magnaflow setup on mine. Stock cats, dual Magnaflow bullit style mufflers under the car. It actually sounds fantastic, and isn't too loud. It gets comments all the time. Mine ran 13.4@107 with a 2.4 60' and easy shifting. Not bad for a 3900lb tank, a better launch and agressive shifting I'm sure it would do 13.1@109 or so

We sell Katechs short shifter then the bushing set up, it is night and day!

-Brandon

M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...M5 or CTS-V...

-Marc

emfive

Its nicer, handles better from what I've heard, and doesnt have a shitty drivetrain. The S62 is one of the greatest motors ever designed EVAR.

But if you want to mod something, get the V.

But you are welcome to come check out our Escalade, and see what a quality product Cadillac makes. :rolleyes:

AJ said most of it but I'll go ahead and write it up in my words since I'm the one driving it...

The V is my daily driver from Reynoldsburg to Dublin everyday and I also autocross it any chance I get. Drives very nice and has a good kick so I can easily zip through traffic. Brakes suck for autocross but are fine for daily driving. Rear diff is a big problem.... if you feel it start to hop just let out a bit. I get a freaking ton of attention for it, but then again how many times do you see a girl driving a classy high horsepowered car and races? I've never been into Cadillac (mainly because I associate them with old people) but after having the V, I am very impressed and will recommend this car to anyone that talks to me about it.

I say you already have a BMW so try something new Marc!

If you can could look around the fact that these only came in auto...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-AUDI-RS6-TWIN-TURBO-NAV-XENON-HTD-SEATS-BOSE-SHADE_W0QQitemZ290349337899QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item439a2b4d2b&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I would take one of these over an M or a V any fucking day. Chip will give you 500hp, and my S4 manual tranny will swap right in there when you get tired of the auto.

Hmmm...twin turbo v8....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-AUDI-RS6-TWIN-TURBO-NAV-XENON-HTD-SEATS-BOSE-SHADE_W0QQitemZ290349337899QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item439a2b4d2b&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I would take one of these over an M or a V any fucking day. Chip will give you 500hp, and my S4 manual tranny will swap right in there when you get tired of the auto.

Hmmm...twin turbo v8....

God Damnit. Now I need to go drive one.

-Marc

Hmmm...twin turbo v8....

I want!

God Damnit. Now I need to go drive one.

-Marc

Hopefully Jones will fill us in when if see's this, but IIRC the maintance is very bad on those.

I assume it's basically the same engine as the V8 S4, just turboed.

This is what he said in another thread about the V8 S4. ~$7k for the timing chain/guides maintenance and it's every 60-70k in the S4. IIRC because of the turboed engine and more power/tq it's every 30 or 35kmi in the RS6. :eek:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1037687&postcount=33

There's a reason a (clean, low mileage) 6 year old car that was something like $80-100k new is selling for $25k.

If it's got the maintenance records, you don't put many miles on it and are willing to pay the $$$$$ for maintenance, they I'd say why not.

If the timing chain interval is what I'm remembering I'd have to do it every 1.5 years in that car. :o

But yeah, I still want one. :)