Diablosport Predator users I need your help.

DTM Brian

Cory brought in his cobra tonight to check the A/F's after melting a plug in the number 5 cylinder. Below is a graph containing three tests.

Test 1 = Tune that was in the car

Test 2 = 10% Richer adjustment made to both rpm ranges under the base fuel table parameter

Test 3 = 20% Richer adjustment made to both rpm ranges under the base fuel table parameter

As you can the a/f is at an unsafe 12.5 at some places with all three tunes. It is my belief the tunes are not changing even with the tuner showing the changes both before and after flashing the car.

I would like to point out that lambda is commanded .82 (12:1) during all three pulls which backs up the repeatable a/f results regardless of what I adjust in the tuner.

I guess an alternative would be to take the car to an authorized diablosport dealer. However I believe cory would like me to do the tuning his car.

Thanks in advance!!!!

http://75.180.27.125:50001/Dyno%20Graphs%20and%20Pictures./Dyno%20Graphs/Cory%202003%20Cobra%20Predator%20Tune.jpg

what else did it hurt in that cylinder. beside killing the plug?

i hate to say this but, you can throw tunes all day at that thing, but if its mechanically hurt. what are you truely doing? you could have one cylinder hurt brain, and not up to par, and where is all the extra fuel going?

predator is a nice piece. but whats the difference between the price of buying it, and tuning it. or chipping it with a custom tune?

Did you check the intercooler pump by chance?

I have heard on more than on occasion Predator handhelds NOT making changes after a flash, but that was all the Lightning based ECMs

thats most ford ecms..i dont think mine is working for my super duty.:rolleyes:

fucking gay is what it is.

what else did it hurt in that cylinder. beside killing the plug?

i hate to say this but, you can throw tunes all day at that thing, but if its mechanically hurt. what are you truely doing? you could have one cylinder hurt brain, and not up to par, and where is all the extra fuel going?

predator is a nice piece. but whats the difference between the price of buying it, and tuning it. or chipping it with a custom tune?

I do not think it is getting any extra fuel. Lambda is not changing and fuel pump duty cycle seems to be the same for each run.

As far as the motor goes I really have no idea what the inside of cylinder looks like. Motor is quiet and seems to still be running strong with almost 90k on the odometer. I just want to get fuel in the 11.5 range so it does not melt another plug.

Brian, have you tried updating the predator yet? I assume this is an 03 Cobra (form the power numbers). If so the latest revision should be 9r02.

This is news to me Brady. Thanks for the info. Guess I should put a call in to Diablo and see what we need to do the update. I sure wish this was an X3. We would of had it tuned and done.

I do not think it is getting any extra fuel. Lambda is not changing and fuel pump duty cycle seems to be the same for each run.

As far as the motor goes I really have no idea what the inside of cylinder looks like. Motor is quiet and seems to still be running strong with almost 90k on the odometer. I just want to get fuel in the 11.5 range so it does not melt another plug.

This is news to me Brady. Thanks for the info. Guess I should put a call in to Diablo and see what we need to do the update. I sure wish this was an X3. We would of had it tuned and done.

Updating is easy. You can download the udate from diablos website here. http://www.diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=12 From there you need a usb to serial adapter, power to the predator, and the dsdownloader which can be downoaded from the same page. Plugging into the obdII port will supply power or you can get an adapter from radio shack. With a laptop, just use the diagnostic port. Radio shack also carries the usb to serial adapters. From there use the dsloader to load the update. Dont forget to return the car to stock before updating.

On a side note, tuning with an X3 would be the best option. The a/f control in the graph is terrible and the predator user adjustable options only applies global fueling changes.

a cable and a disc. you can get it at jegs for 40. or you could hand it to brady...he updated mine. or if you have a cable, you might be able to download the stuff right off there website. they have a nice help forum too.

any way you can due a injector kill, and do a controlled power balance test? that would atleast tell a good idea if there was a cylinder down.

a cable and a disc. you can get it at jegs for 40. or you could hand it to brady...he updated mine. or if you have a cable, you might be able to download the stuff right off there website. they have a nice help forum too.

any way you can due a injector kill, and do a controlled power balance test? that would atleast tell a good idea if there was a cylinder down.

wouldn't it be down on power if a cylinder was down.

wouldn't it be down on power if a cylinder was down.

if one cylinder was completely down yes., but not if its just slightly hurt.

im finding out these things melting the piston tops is a common thing.

if one cylinder was completely down yes., but not if its just slightly hurt.

im finding out these things melting the piston tops is a common thing.

so whats the long term effects? melting a plug is common in the cobras and the dmg piston is not so common. so either people just aren't looking into it or it is hit and miss.

the crowns melt due to heat.

all of dovers are melted to the intake side. and most of it has to due with fueling it.

dover's motor also had a lot of spray, a kb, and turbos. and beat to hell for 5 years. cory's motor has only had a pulley for 20k.

if the crown is melted what are the side effects? his car runs great, makes great power. heck it ran good at normal driving with a melted plug.

dover's motor also had a lot of spray, a kb, and turbos. and beat to hell for 5 years. cory's motor has only had a pulley for 20k.

if the crown is melted what are the side effects? his car runs great, makes great power. heck it ran good at normal driving with a melted plug.

exactly. kurts motor didnt have the life dovers had. and it blew up with melted pistons.the stock pistons are very sensitive to fueling. they melt easy.

if the crowns melted, then its weaker. and would for sure get the fueling corrected. and it very well could run normal with normal driving. not enough air or lack there of(boost) to blow the spark out and even with a melted ground strap, the plug can still light off. but start giving it hell, and cylinder pressures rise, the spark can jump that big gap no more. got a pic of the melted plug?

heres a chart to show what happens to plug and the main cause's.

http://mooreauto.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch07/7Fig12.html